Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 19 Dec '15 03:41 / 1 edit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJVZa9_Ha5c

In the video we see students at Yale University being interviewed and asked to sign a petition to repeal the First Amendment which grants free speech and freedom of religion etc.

You would think that since Yale is the cream of the crop in Academia in the US most would refuse to sign it, but the exact reverse occurred.

Has a whole generation been radicalized by the left through education and the media that would cause them to embrace fascism? This is particularly concerning if these folks are going to be the future leaders of America.

(Warming: this is not a safe place thread so viewers beware)
  2. 19 Dec '15 04:45
    Originally posted by whodey

In the video we see students at Yale University being interviewed and asked to sign a petition to repeal the First Amendment which grants free speech and freedom of religion etc.

You would think that since Yale is the cream of the crop in Academia in the US most would refuse to sign it, but the exact reverse o ...[text shortened]... the future leaders of America.

Whodey it is hard to say if they are just stupid or if they want a totalitarian government. I have seen these kind of petitions where the students were signing a petition to ban the use of water. My guess if a person worded it right, a person could successfully get college students to ban anything. There is little teaching of the constitution in public schools now days, and is one of the key dumbing down of America programs.
  3. 19 Dec '15 04:53
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Whodey it is hard to say if they are just stupid or if they want a totalitarian government. I have seen these kind of petitions where the students were signing a petition to ban the use of water. My guess if a person worded it right, a person could successfully get college students to ban anything. There is little teaching of the constitution in public schools now days, and is one of the key dumbing down of America programs.
    So what segment of society do you think are better educated than students at Yale?

It seems like they are the parrot in the cave.
  4. 19 Dec '15 05:16
    So what segment of society do you think are better educated than students at Yale?

It seems like they are the parrot in the cave.
    What segment or what generation? Maybe even like a canary in a coal mine.
  5. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Dec '15 05:58
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Their minds have been propagandized by the radical left.

The Near Genius
  6. 19 Dec '15 09:16

You would think that since Yale is the cream of the crop in Academia in the US [...]
    No, that would obviously be MIT's physics faculty.
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    19 Dec '15 13:11 / 1 edit

You would think that since Yale is the cream of the crop in Academia in the US most would refuse to sign it, but the exact reverse o ...[text shortened]... the future leaders of America.

The idea that America's elite universities are the preserve of the cream of the crop is a myth that has been exposed too many times to even bother repeating. They are in fact the preserve of the young heirs of wealthy families who can buy their way into the best situations and the notion that these affluent tossers constitute any form of left, let alone a radical left, is hilarious.

Take this as a random example from countless hits on google:
    Once acclaimed as the equal-opportunity stepping stone to the middle class, and a way of closing that divide, higher education has instead become more segregated than ever by wealth and race as state funding has fallen and colleges and universities — and even states and the federal government — are shifting financial aid from lower-income to higher-income students. This has created a system that spends the least on those who need the most help and the most on those who arguably need the least. While almost all the students who go to selective institutions such as Trinity graduate and get good jobs, many students from the poorest families end up even worse off than they started out, struggling to repay loans they took out to pay for degrees they never get.
    http://hechingerreport.org/the-socioeconomic-divide-on-americas-college-campuses-is-getting-wider-fast/

Alongside this abandoning of educational values to the values of the plutocracy, you need to be more aware that academic standards in America's universities are also increasingly mocked in Euopean academia. Your universities are becoming little more than finishing schools for a plutocracy born to unearned affluence.

So given that it is the economic elite, and not the intellectual elite, who are stupid enough to fill in surveys of this nature in the way reported, what you need to worry about is the kind of world your economic masters are prepared to provide for the masses if the US takes no action to correct its grotesque inequalities. If you do not promote democracy (and the US does not) then you are instead handing all power to an unelected plutocracy selected by birth and inheritance.
  8. 19 Dec '15 15:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    The idea that America's elite universities are the preserve of the cream of the crop is a myth that has been exposed too many times to even bother repeating. They are in fact the preserve of the young heirs of wealthy families who can buy their way into the best situations and the notion that these affluent tossers constitute any form of left, let alone a ...[text shortened]... you are instead handing all power to an unelected plutocracy selected by birth and inheritance.
    So what you are saying is that the US government is creating left winged indoctrinated students who are stupid?

I guess we are in agreement, thanks for that.

Should the US make schooling private or just scrap Common Core?
  9. 19 Dec '15 16:04
    So what you are saying is that the US government is creating left winged indoctrinated students who are stupid?

I guess we are in agreement, thanks for that.

Should the US make schooling private or just scrap Common Core?
    The US government should make education accessible by scrapping tuition fees for taxpayer-subsidized colleges and mandating anonymous entry criteria based on academic achievement only.
  10. 19 Dec '15 17:10
    Yale students, "the best and the brightest", signing a petition to abolish the 1st Amendment. I can only imagine how popular such a petition would be with the hoi polloi.
    America really is doomed.
  11. 19 Dec '15 17:24
    Actually no, what we see is a video posted by whodey (which means it is almost certainly got a lie in it somewhere) and a Fox News logo (which also means there is probably a lie in there somewhere) and a heavily edited video that claims that it shows students signing a petition (yet oddly shows remarkably few people actually doing so). It is far from clear what the student were actually asked, whether they were really students at all, and whether they actually signed anything or what the signature would have meant had they signed it.

Of course it is entirely possible that plenty of real Yale students did sign the petition but I am not convinced by the evidence (or obvious lack thereof). I also don't think that them signing any such petition would put your first amendment at risk. Politics in your country is tightly controlled by big money not university students (even though they mostly do come from big money, they will have to get a bit older before they are given the reigns).

I also find it strange that you think signing such a petition would be indicative of being on the left of the political spectrum. In my experience it is the political right that wants to do away with basic freedoms such as free speech.
  12. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Dec '15 17:30
    Whodey...your talent for making Mt. Everest out of an anthill is amazing. Students are asked to sign petitions and support documents every day of the week...99.99% of which amount to nothing. Why don't you find another scary story to dwell on.
  13. 19 Dec '15 17:33
    Originally posted by bill718
    Whodey...your talent for making Mt. Everest out of an anthill is amazing. Students are asked to sign petitions and support documents every day of the week...99.99% of which amount to nothing. Why don't you find another scary story to dwell on.
    He's not making a mountain out of a molehill, these are Yale students, "the best and the brightest", signing a petition to abolish the 1st Amendment. I can only imagine how popular such a petition would be with the hoi polloi.
    America really is doomed.
  14. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Dec '15 17:52 / 1 edit
    America really is doomed....

..and if that's not bad enough, large orange frogs are invading Cleveland, officials fear the worst !!
  15. 19 Dec '15 18:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually no, what we see is a video posted by whodey (which means it is almost certainly got a lie in it somewhere) and a Fox News logo (which also means there is probably a lie in there somewhere) and a heavily edited video that claims that it shows students signing a petition (yet oddly shows remarkably few people actually doing so). It is far from clea ...[text shortened]... erience it is the political right that wants to do away with basic freedoms such as free speech.
    Left or right, who cares?

Both are collectivist ideologies hell bent on firm centralized government control. They really is not much difference between the two.