Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 13:11
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj9F7GeW0AIvRcq.jpg:large

"Lies, damn lies and statistics," I know. But those charts do seem to check out from other sources.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 13:17
    Originally posted by sh76

"Lies, damn lies and statistics," I know. But those charts do seem to check out from other sources.
    without researching into how true they are i want to ask something else:

how much of it is obama's fault?

every time i check US news, i only hear how congress and senate block obama's every proposal on principle. i hear how obama goes further and further to the right.

he doesn't get much done and what he does, it's mostly right wing. so i ask you, is obama really to blame for everything?
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 13:18

Are you sure those aren't Venezuela's charts?
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 13:37
    In what way is Obama responsible for black inequality, decrease in home ownership, the increase in student loans, and the median family income?
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 14:05
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    without researching into how true they are i want to ask something else:

how much of it is obama's fault?

every time i check US news, i only hear how congress and senate block obama's every proposal on principle. i hear how obama goes further and further to the right.

he doesn't get much done and what he does, it's mostly right wing. so i ask you, is obama really to blame for everything?
    Perhaps Congress blocks Obama's ideas because charts, like the ones here, indicate that they lead to disastrous results. You assume that Obama would have better results if he were able to do everything he wants but history shows (for example the Clinton years) that much progress can be made when the president suggests ideas and Congress vigorously forces changes and allows only the good ideas to be implemented.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 16:22
    Originally posted by vivify
    In what way is Obama responsible for black inequality, decrease in home ownership, the increase in student loans, and the median family income?
    Exactly!

It's Bush's fault.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 16:23
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Perhaps Congress blocks Obama's ideas because charts, like the ones here, indicate that they lead to disastrous results. You assume that Obama would have better results if he were able to do everything he wants but history shows (for example the Clinton years) that much progress can be made when the president suggests ideas and Congress vigorously forces changes and allows only the good ideas to be implemented.
    For the last time, any good results can be attributed to Obama and any bad results can be attributed to the GOP.

Got it?
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 17:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    For the last time, any good results can be attributed to Obama and any bad results can be attributed to the GOP.

Got it?
    Sometimes it seems like I am expected to believe that.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 17:361 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Exactly!

It's Bush's fault.
    You see why no one takes your side seriously? This immature posturing is ubiquitous among conservatives, most infamously with Fox News.

I asked a legitimate question. If you don't have an answer, acting like an ass doesn't help.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 17:40
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Are you sure those aren't Venezuela's charts?
    No, Venequela's charts look better than that.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 18:00
    "Perhaps Congress blocks Obama's ideas because charts, like the ones here, indicate that they lead to disastrous results."
    so the charts should have been improving at some point, right?
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 18:16
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    "Perhaps Congress blocks Obama's ideas because charts, like the ones here, indicate that they lead to disastrous results."
    so the charts should have been improving at some point, right?
    You were the one who claimed that if Congress did everything that Obama wanted, the numbers would be better. I simply pointed out that his numbers could just as easily been considerably worse. Furthermore, part of the job of a president is to convince other lawmakers that his policies are desirable. If indeed Obama's non implemented ideas are good ones (which I'd argue they aren't) it is still a failure of the president to not get support for his ideas.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 18:33
    You were the one who claimed that if Congress did everything that Obama wanted, the numbers would be better. I simply pointed out that his numbers could just as easily been considerably worse. Furthermore, part of the job of a president is to convince other lawmakers that his policies are desirable. If indeed Obama's non implemented ideas are good ones ...[text shortened]... I'd argue they aren't) it is still a failure of the president to not get support for his ideas.
    The only reason Ted Cruz did as well as he did, and would have won without "the Donald" running against him, was because he was the only one who stood alone against Obama at times.

Reading Green Eggs and Ham to the Dims in Congress to filibuster was classic.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 18:44

It's not a representation of anything with those tiny y-axis labels.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 19:52

Since the charts are impossible to read because they are deliberately designed to be, it is hard to say.