Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 21:14
    "Black people are only fit to live underground like groveling goblins. They have stopped breeding and will all go extinct soon. I enjoy being cruel to old black women. '
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 21:312 edits
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    "Black people are only fit to live underground like groveling goblins. They have stopped breeding and will all go extinct soon. I enjoy being cruel to old black women. '
    The racist troll Mott-the-Hoopie seems eager to attack Sarah Jeong, though afraid to do so in the proper thread.
    I doubt that Mott-the-Hoopie's capable of comprehending Zach Beauchamp's explanation of
    how a racist dominant culture and power structure affect the meaning of words in 'racial discourse'.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/17648566/sarah-jeong-new-york-times-twitter-andrew-sullivan

"In defense of Sarah Jeong
    Why Andrew Sullivan and the conservative media are wrong to call the
    New York Times’s latest hire “racist” for attacking white people"
    --Zach Beauchamp

"This is, incidentally, why you hear a lot of people on the social left say there’s no such
    thing as “reverse racism.” We interpret language through social context. Because of the
    way racial power structures are set up, the same set of words mean very different things
    when you swap out “white people” for “black people,” “Asians,” “Jews,” etc. The phrase
    might be racist in one context, in the sense of conveying actual racial animus, but not in another.

This meaning of the phrase “white people” is obvious to people who have been listening
    to these social media conversations, or even from even a cursory search of Twitter for
    the term. I’ve copied a few examples below:"
    "The other thing I'd note is that if you're a white person who'd never heard POC [people of color]
    talk about white people before the advent of social media, it probably means that no
    POC, even your friends, have truly trusted you."
    "Jeong’s tweets, in context, clearly fit this type of rhetoric. When she writes “dumb*ss
    f***ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire
    hydrants,” she is not, as Sullivan accuses her of doing, “equat[ing whites] with animals.”
    Rather, she is commenting on the ubiquity of (often uniformed) white opinion on social
    media — a way of pointing out how nonwhite voices often don’t appear or get drowned
    out in social media discourse.

Again, this is obvious to people who are steeped in the kind of online communities Jeong
    spends time in. But what happened, as my colleague Aja Romano notes, is that a few
    alt-right websites pulled out Jeong’s tweets in a deliberate attempt to hurt her career and reputation.
    What’s actually happening here is a racist movement, the alt-right, trying to damage a
    left-wing woman of color — and mainstream conservatives are furthering their narrative."

"And this is what the conservative critiques of Jeong — even the good-faith ones, like
    Sullivan’s and French’s — miss entirely. When you talk about race and identity, the
    context in which you’re operating is absolutely inescapable. The sentence “white people
    run America” may use most of the same words as “Jews run America,” but the former is
    mostly true while the latter is an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.

Historical structures of oppression, along race and other identity lines, shape the way
    Americans see the world deeply and profoundly. Everything that’s said about minority
    groups is interpreted through the weight of these expectations. One study found that
    children start thinking in racist terms when they’re about 8 years old. It’s absurd to
    pretend, given centuries of racialized oppression, that the phrases “white people” and
    “black people” can be swapped in a sentence without profoundly changing the meaning.

This is indicative of a broader failing in the conservative movement.
    The weight of history is typically minimized, with the success or failure of minority groups
    being seen in colorblind, individualized terms. If black people aren’t as wealthy as whites,
    it’s not the legacy of slavery and Jim Crow and redlining; it’s because they’re lazy, or addicted
    to welfare, or (as Sullivan has posited) simply genetically less likely to be intelligent.
    There has to be some explanation other than the fact that everything in our society is
    structured around a longstanding racial caste system, one that persists even after the
    laws have been made on-face colorblind.

This isn’t a mere matter of there being a power differential between whites and various
    minority groups, as French would have it. It’s about the reasons there’s a power differential,
    and how those reasons shape even the very meaning of the words we speak."
  3. Standard membergumbie
    The man himself
    Totally lost
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 21:51
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    The racist troll Mott-the-Hoopie seems eager to attack Sarah Jeong, though afraid to do so in the proper thread.
    I doubt that Mott-the-Hoopie's capable of comprehending Zach Beauchamp's explanation of
    how a racist dominant culture and power structure affect the meaning of words in 'racial discourse'.

Words mean exactly what they mean.

If Z ...[text shortened]... make everything up as you go along to suit your interests doesn't make you smart, it makes you evil.
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 22:11
    Originally posted by @gumbie
    Your words would fare better if you avoided typing inside the quote box.
  5. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 22:27
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Yes, without context that sounds racist.

So, what’s the context?
  6. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 22:45

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/1 ...[text shortened]... power differential,
    and how those reasons shape even the very meaning of the words we speak."
    why are you avoiding my question?
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 22:46
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

So, what’s the context?
    candace Owens banned from twitter for tweeting that.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 22:572 edits
    Originally posted by @shavixmir to Mott-the-Hoopie
    So, what’s the context?
    "Oh man it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men."
    --Sarah Jeong (on Twitter, replying to racist, sexist trolls who abused her)

This is an old tweet that right-wing trolls have exploited to make Sarah Jeong sound racist.

"I enjoy being cruel to old black women."
    --supposedly 'quoted' by Mott-the-Hoopie

Mott-the-Hoopie seemed (ignoring context) to replace 'old white men' with 'old black women'.
  9. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 23:07
    Right wingers talking about nationalism: this is all a complicated mask for anti-Semitic and racist ideologies. Trust me. I'm objective.

Sarah Jeong, saying blatantly racist things: guys, trust me on this, it's actually a really conokicated and subtle thing.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 23:11
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

So, what’s the context?
    So it might not be racist?
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 23:161 edit
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Right wingers talking about nationalism: this is all a complicated mask for anti-Semitic and racist ideologies. Trust me. I'm objective.

Sarah Jeong, saying blatantly racist things: guys, trust me on this, it's actually a really conokicated and subtle thing.
    "Trust me. I'm objective."
    --Philokalia

Only other racist white nationalists would believe Philokalia.

The hypocritical troll Philokalia should leave the Republic of Korea (where I expect most
    people admire Sarah Jeong much more than they respect a very racist white American)
    and find a place full of white Christian people where his racism would be more welcome.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 00:481 edit
    "Oh man it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men."
    --Sarah Jeong (on Twitter, replying to racist, sexist trolls who abused her)

This is an old tweet that right-wing trolls have exploited to make Sarah Jeong sound racist.

"I enjoy being cruel to old black women."
    --supposedly 'quoted' by Mott-the-Hoopie

Mott-the-Hoopie seemed (ignoring context) to replace 'old white men' with 'old black women'.
    I see you are afraid to answer my question...that would expose the hypocrite you are,

jeongs tweets were not in response to any other tweets, just random tweets by her...your lies are failing to convince anyone.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 00:49
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So it might not be racist?
    funny how the truth jumps out isn't it?
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 00:54
    Originally posted by @philokalia

Conokicated? Can't disagree with that.
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '18 00:55
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    Conokicated? Can't disagree with that.
    hows that hand andy?