Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 13:301 edit
    http://www.atimes.com/article/turkeys-economic-crisis-has-just-begun/

Looks like Turkey is in turmoil politically and economically as it appears to be at a crossroads as to whether to go full hard line Islamic dictatorship.

If so, it would end the experiment of seeing if a largely Islamic populated country could remain moderate politically.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 14:03
    Rebelling against the empire is risky business.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-nuclear-turkey/turkey-to-continue-buying-natural-gas-from-iran-despite-u-s-sanctions-idUSKBN1KT210

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-markets/world-stocks-hit-one-month-low-as-turkish-rout-spreads-idUSKBN1KX0SP?il=0
  3. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 14:151 edit
    Currency is in the toilet, a coup 18 months ago with probably more military action imminent. Further to that the EU will probably want to soft stroke it into accepting the Euro and EU support to ensure Turkey remains the politically safe border control mechanism it needs over there. The Russians have an interest also...don’t they. It’s a dangerous mess.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    13 Aug '18 16:10
    Originally posted by @whodey

Looks like Turkey is in turmoil politically and economically as it appears to be at a crossroads as to whether to go full hard line Islamic dictatorship.

If so, it would end the experiment of seeing if a largely Islamic populated country could remain moderate politically.
    It's amusing to see a reactionary like yourself suddenly espouse the virtues of political moderation.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 06:03
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Further to that the EU will probably want to soft stroke it into accepting the Euro and EU support
    Turkey accepting the Euro!?!?
    What are you on about?
    Turkey has been trying to join Europe since the 60s.
    It does not meet the criteria for entry.
    It was getting close but it will be impossible with their new constitution.

Obviously the EU is concerned about Turkey but they have always
    been a close US ally rather than a European one. (Something to do
    with air bases .....)
  6. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 10:03

I can cope with the idea of Turkey becoming Iran, just as long as it doesn't become Saudi Arabia...
  7. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 11:02
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Obviously the EU is concerned about Turkey but they have always
    been a close US ally rather than a European one. (Something to do
    with air bases .....)
    Well that relationship (with the US) is in the crapper now.
    Yes you are correct historically, I’m just wondering how the EU may react now/in the coming months.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 12:15
    Well that relationship (with the US) is in the crapper now.
    Yes you are correct historically, I’m just wondering how the EU may react now/in the coming months.
    Aren't the EU investigating what Turkey has done with their money?
    I doubt if relations are very good at the moment.
  9. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 12:31
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Aren't the EU investigating what Turkey has done with their money?
    I doubt if relations are very good at the moment.
    Yep, another 9 billion of EU taxpayers money poured down the drain.
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 13:14

Thanks to the Trumpsters sanctions, Turkey is now moving closer to Russia.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 18:30
    Originally posted by @teinosuke to Whodey
    I can cope with the idea of Turkey becoming Iran, just as long as it doesn't become Saudi Arabia...
    Ignorant Westerners (like Whodey) ignore the importance of the Sunni-Shia division.
    Turkey will NOT 'become Iran'. Iran regards itself as the champion of oppressed Shia everywhere.

"Under the Sunni Islamist government of the Justice and Development Party (AKP) and Tayyip Erdo─čan,
    an increasing discrimination against and persecution of the Alevi minority has begun."
    --Wikipedia
  12. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 22:24
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Ignorant Westerners (like Whodey) ignore the importance of the Sunni-Shia division. Turkey will NOT 'become Iran'. Iran regards itself as the champion of oppressed Shia everywhere.
    Very true; my target was the unthinking rhetoric that persists in regarding Iran as necessarily an enemy and Saudi Arabia as necessarily an ally, and that therefore tends to imagine that SA's brand of Islamism is more benign. Turkey won't "become Iran", but it could become a Sunni analogue to Iran; while far from the optimal outcome, this would be a better one than its becoming Saudi Arabia, Mark 2.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 22:41
    Originally posted by @teinosuke
    Very true; my target was the unthinking rhetoric that persists in regarding Iran as necessarily an enemy and Saudi Arabia as necessarily an ally, and that therefore tends to imagine that SA's brand of Islamism is more benign. Turkey won't "become Iran", but it could become a Sunni analogue to Iran; while far from the optimal outcome, this would be a better one than its becoming Saudi Arabia, Mark 2.
    I would be astonished if Turkey, given its Kemalist heritage, became "Saudi Arabia Mark 2".

By the way, as a child, I wondered whether the Hungarian Jewish mathematician Pál Turán
    could be sympathetic toward pan-Turkism (this is a joke based upon his name).
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    15 Aug '18 23:20
    Yep, another 9 billion of EU taxpayers money poured down the drain.
    Well I agree with you there if, as is suspected, none of it went on
    preparing Turkey for EU admission. There should have been more
    checks and balances. It seems the EU is far too trusting with their money.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '18 12:04
    I don't understand why US wants Turkey as an enemy?
    Both are members of NATO, right? The problems certainly can be solved diplomatically.
    What is the best? Turks are friends with NATO or Turks are friends with Putin?

Is all this Trump's wrongdoings? Is US a nation in decline?