Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 Jan '11 20:53
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12111892
    In St Mark's hospital in Alexandria, Egypt, some of those injured by a New Year's Day bomb attack on a Coptic church lay and hope for a recovery.

Seven-year-old Clara cries out in agony at the slightest movement.

Her face and legs are charred and blistered from Saturday's blast, which killed at least 21 people and injured dozens more in Alexandria, on Egypt's north coast.

In the neighbouring bed her mother weeps silently as she witnesses her daughter's pain. Her legs too are heavily bandaged.

"Whoever did this, they are not human beings," she says. "They are not people, they are animals."

Upstairs in the intensive care unit, a man in his 60s, Michel Sadek, still cannot believe what happened.

"We were just praying. These were good people who never hurt anybody," he says. "This was terrorism."

A doctor in the ward shows me pieces of shrapnel that have been removed from victims' bodies.

The Alexandria bomb was packed with old nuts and bolts, and was designed to cause maximum harm.

"When I arrived at the hospital on the night of the attack, there was blood and bodies everywhere. We could not cope with the number of casualties," he recalls

Should Christians retaliate or "turn the other cheek"?
  2. 04 Jan '11 20:56
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    [b]In St Mark's hospital in Alexandria, Egypt, some of those injured by a New Year's Day bomb attack on a Coptic church lay and hope for a recovery.

Her face and legs are charred and blistered from Saturday's blast, which ...[text shortened]... he recalls

Should Christians retaliate or "turn the other cheek"?[/b]
    You think justice would be more terrorism?
  3. 04 Jan '11 21:08
    What kind of retaliation would be helpful in this situation? Should I retaliate if someone with brown eyes gets murdered?
  4. 04 Jan '11 21:15
    [b]In St Mark's hospital in Alexandria, Egypt, some of those injured by a New Year's Day bomb attack on a Coptic church lay and hope for a recovery.

Her face and legs are charred and blistered from Saturday's blast, which ...[text shortened]... he recalls

its even worse when its enshrined in state law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11930849
  5. 04 Jan '11 21:19
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You think justice would be more terrorism?
    I didn't make any statement on my personal opinion of what the Copts should do, Im asking you.
  6. 04 Jan '11 21:23
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What kind of retaliation would be helpful in this situation? Should I retaliate if someone with brown eyes gets murdered?
    This is very disingenous of you; there is a great difference between targeting someone who happened to have brown eyes and placing a bomb outside a church for the purposes of jihad.
  7. 04 Jan '11 21:29
    This is very disingenous of you; there is a great difference between targeting someone who happened to have brown eyes and placing a bomb outside a church for the purposes of jihad.
    Yes, but only because people attach a different meaning to it. I don't see any a priori reason why christians should be more compassionate towards christians than towards muslims or vice versa.
  8. 04 Jan '11 21:31 / 1 edit
    I didn't make any statement on my personal opinion of what the Copts should do, Im asking you.
    My answer is none of the options you provided.

My answer is to make sure that the police are doing what they can to arrest those responsible.

EDIT: Now I'm asking you, what do YOU think should be done?
  9. 04 Jan '11 21:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    its even worse when its enshrined in state law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11930849
    Yes, Egypt's ineffective government lies at the core of this problem.
  10. 04 Jan '11 21:37
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    My answer is none of the options you provided.

My answer is to make sure that the police are doing what they can to arrest those responsible.
    from the article:

"Many believe their community is increasingly discriminated against and that threats to their security are not taken seriously.

They question why there was not better protection to church buildings, particularly following recent threats from al-Qaeda.

The Saints' church in Alexandria was just one named on a list of places of worship suggested as a possible target that was published on the internet."

in your opinion does this bear any doubt regarding the potential prejudice of the authorities and how this could interfere with "making sure the police do their best"?
  11. 04 Jan '11 21:42 / 1 edit
    from the article:

"Many believe their community is increasingly discriminated against and that threats to their security are not taken seriously.

They question why there was not better protection to church buildings, particularly following recent threats from al-Qaeda.

The Saints' church in Alexandria was just one named on a list of places of f the authorities and how this could interfere with "making sure the police do their best"?
    Of course there is potential prejudice of the authorities. I don't doubt that. They won't get justice by performing acts of terrorism of their own though.

If they bomb a mosque in retaliation do you think that somehow the authorities will get over their prejudice?
  12. Standard member shavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    05 Jan '11 06:29
    Obviously Christians should turn the other cheek. If they don't, they might as well circumsize themselves and pray in a synagogue.

However, rationality screams: killing civilians because of civilians killed is not gonna make the situation any better.
  13. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    05 Jan '11 14:36

You're applying a national policy question to a group of like-minded people who are not formally designated as a nation. Apples and oranges.
  14. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    05 Jan '11 14:57 / 1 edit
    If by retaliate, you mean attack Muslims then the answer is neither.

They should try to bring the perpetrators to justice, not target innocents who happen to share some traits with them.

Edit - I just noticed that PsychoPawn had already said something very similar...
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Jan '11 15:48
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Obviously Christians should turn the other cheek. If they don't, they might as well circumsize themselves and pray in a synagogue.
    Of course, because it's not like Jews have ever had to suffer any violence without retaliating...