Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    04 Sep '10 06:22
    2007 BET founder Robert Johnson called for "African Americans to support Liberia like Jewish Americans support Israel".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americo-Liberian

Are there any fundamental differences between Liberia and Israel and their relative ethnic groups; Zionists and Americo-Liberians? The parallels are obvious.
  2. 04 Sep '10 12:28
    All Jews have their ancestral heritage in the nation of Israel. African-Americans have their heritage througout Africa. Why should an African-American with ancestors from Ghana care about Liberia?
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Sep '10 02:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    2007 BET founder Robert Johnson called for "African Americans to support Liberia like Jewish Americans support Israel".

Are there any fundamental differences between Liberia and Israel and their relative ethnic groups; Zionists and Americo-Liberians? The parallels are obvious.
    Liberia is one black state of more than a score.

Israel is one Jewish state of one.
  4. 05 Sep '10 02:28
    Originally posted by sh76

I like the way you said it much better. You are a wordsmith.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Sep '10 02:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Thank you
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Sep '10 02:51

I believe that Israel, at least as we now know it, will disappear from the 'sands of time' or 'the map of world' one day, just as apartheid South Africa did, and the U.S.S.R., and a host of other countries that came and went, along with their particular configurations and rationales, according to the prevailing geopolitical winds. I imagine "Israel" may probably still be there in 100 years or so but not as the Zionist state that it is now. I have stated my admittedly rather wishfullthinkingly proposal as to how Israel could be constituted before, but it drew little comment or engagement from anyone, maybe deservedly so.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Sep '10 03:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    I believe that Israel, at least as we now know it, will disappear from the 'sands of time' or 'the map of world' one day, just as apartheid South Africa did, and the U.S.S.R., and a host of other countries that came and went, along with their particular configurations and rationales, according to the prevailing geopolitical winds. I imagine "Israel" may probably ...[text shortened]... tituted before, but it drew little comment or engagement from anyone, maybe deservedly so.
    I don't recall it; if you post it again or a link to it, I'd read it.

Most countries disappear from the sands of time sooner or later, so Israel as it is currently constituted certainly may do so. As you can no doubt guess, I'd dispute the notion that Israel is comparable to apartheid South Africa (if you meant to compare them), but that's hardly news.

If you mean that this new Israel is an Israel withdrawn from the occupies territories and generally at peace with its neighbors, then I'd concur with that wish. If you mean an Israel where all people within its proper borders, Jew and non-Jew, have equal rights, that (more or less) already exists now.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Sep '10 03:27
    I'd dispute the notion that Israel is comparable to apartheid South Africa (if you meant to compare them), but that's hardly news.
    I meant it as an example of a nation - or a configured body politic - that has disappeared from the 'sands of time' - perhaps the U.S.S.R. is a little more straight forward. The shocking reality of South African apartheid makes comparison with Israel, in terms of its own citizens rather fatuous - although there are citizenship and housing issues that do suggest that there is a 'second class citizen' thing going on, to a degree in Israel here and now in 2010 - which will hopefully disappear sooner rather than later. No I did not mean that at all. Gaza and the West Bank, however, along with some plans for the future floated by significant players on the Israeli side, do bring to mind South African townships/ghettos and the bantustanization it employed in what it saw as self-preserving moves as it tried to prolong its walk along the sands of time.
  9. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    05 Sep '10 03:50

Bad comparison. If Liberia is a "black state" then Israel is a "white state".
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    05 Sep '10 04:49
    His post is easily shown to be flawed. Yours however makes me think. I don't agree with it but it's a good argument.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    05 Sep '10 04:51 / 5 edits
    All Jews have their ancestral heritage in the nation of Israel.
    Please elaborate on this. The Israelites who were (re-?) acquainted with YHWH via Moses and the burning bush were a "mixed multitude" of escaped slaves from any number of places, primarily Egypt. The burning bush event probably happened in southern Jordan.

The Liberian coast was where slaves were sold by the blacks who had captured them. Whites picked them up there; whites returned them there.

Thread 133430
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Sep '10 04:56 / 1 edit
    His post is easily shown to be flawed. Yours however makes me think. I don't agree with it but it's a good argument.
    I think this post of yours on Eladars post about sh76's post shows balance although the former's flawed post is easily shown to have made you think that you disagree with it.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    05 Sep '10 04:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think this post of yours on Eladars post about sh76's post shows balance although the former's post is easily shown to have made you think that you disagree with it.
    Wait...aren't I technically "the former"?
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    05 Sep '10 04:58
    Wait...aren't I technically "the former"?
    Not anymore. You are now the "latest". Except for me now, with this.
  15. 05 Sep '10 07:23

why did Liberia fail? have they recovered yet?