Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Mar '12 16:36 / 2 edits
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/22/opinion/zuckerman-iran-israel/index.html?iref=allsearch

In a picture posted on Facebook, a man in a white shirt holds his daughter in his arms. She holds an Israeli flag. The caption reads: "Iranians we will never bomb your country. We <image of heart> you."

A response on the same page: An Iranian tells the story of being forced to walk over an Israeli flag every day when entering his school. Years of being taught to hate the Israeli flag had an effect, he says. But "after seeing your daughter holding the flag, I do not feel that way anymore, and I am so happy. Now: I love that blue, I love that star, I love that flag."

-snip-

It's worth noting that while most of the Israeli images feature photos of people looking into the camera, few Iranian images do. One features a black and white photo of an Iranian diplomat who rescued 4,000 French Jews from the Holocaust. Another showcases a Jewish shrine in Iran. Iranians know that expressing solidarity with Israelis online could lead to harassment or arrest and are finding ways to reach out -- often making clear that their sympathies are with "the Israeli people" instead of the state of Israel -- without putting themselves at undue risk.

As "feel good" a story as this is (to me, anyway), what does it say about peace prospects that the government and/or culture in Iran is so hateful and brutal that it forces school children to "walk over an Israeli flag every day when entering his school" and where "Iranians know that expressing solidarity with Israelis online could lead to harassment or arrest"?
  2. 22 Mar '12 17:46
    Originally posted by sh76

As "feel good" a story as this is (to me, anyway), what does it say about peace prospects that the government and/or culture in Iran is so hateful and brutal that it forces school children to "walk over an Israeli flag every day when entering his school" and where "Iranians know that expressing solidarity with Israelis online could lead to harassment or arrest"?
    If being forced to walk over an Israeli flag were the worst they did then it wouldn't be all that horrible.

I'm wondering what "solidarity" means. It definitely could be interpreted to mean anything advocating peace.

I imagine there definitely will be a good period of a stand off, but that doesn't mean we necessarily have a war.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    22 Mar '12 17:51
    The Five Minutes Hate is very important to Big Brother's dominance.
  4. 22 Mar '12 18:11
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    If being forced to walk over an Israeli flag were the worst they did then it wouldn't be all that horrible.

I'm wondering what "solidarity" means. It definitely could be interpreted to mean anything advocating peace.

I imagine there definitely will be a good period of a stand off, but that doesn't mean we necessarily have a war.
    You are correct, there is no big deal in teaching the populace of a country to hate any group of people based upon race or religion or politics.

Nothing to see here!!
  5. 22 Mar '12 18:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    You are correct, there is no big deal in teaching the populace of a country to hate any group of people based upon race or religion or politics.

Nothing to see here!!
    Of course that's not what I said at all, but hey..... I guess it's no surprise that you just make things up to respond to.
  6. 22 Mar '12 20:58
    http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/22/opinion/zuckerman-iran-israel/index.html?iref=allsearch

[quote]
    In a picture posted on Facebook, a man in a white shirt holds his daughter in his arms. She holds an Israeli flag. The caption reads: "Iranians we will never bomb your country. We <image of heart> you."

A response on the same page: An Iranian tells the story ...[text shortened]... hat expressing solidarity with Israelis online could lead to harassment or arrest"?
    Nice
  7. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    23 Mar '12 00:09

[quote]

A response on the same page: An Iranian tells the story ...[text shortened]... hat expressing solidarity with Israelis online could lead to harassment or arrest"?
    I know the feeling. To me it is totally obvious that Israelis should rush out and tear down their wall, welcome back ALL displaced Palestinians to their ancestral homelands, and fall crying into the arms of their brothers sobbing, "We are so sorry! We are so sorry!" How long are we going to wait for that phenomenon?

Plus, centuries of little Jewish kids being taught that "Jerusalem is OURS! It belongs to US not THEM!" every year at Passover -- who can explain that sort of nonsense?
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    23 Mar '12 00:30
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    I know the feeling. To me it is totally obvious that Israelis should rush out and tear down their wall, welcome back ALL displaced Palestinians to their ancestral homelands, and fall crying into the arms of their brothers sobbing, "We are so sorry! We are so sorry!" How long are we going to wait for that phenomenon?

Plus, [b]centuries
    of little J ...[text shortened]... It belongs to US not THEM!" every year at Passover -- who can explain that sort of nonsense?[/b]
    Further proof that regarding everything Israel, you simply don't have a clue.

At the end of the Passover seder, Jewish families say "Next year in Jerusalem," which is a reference to the Messiah coming before next year, thereby having all Jews moved to Israel. They don't say "Jerusalem is ours." On the contrary, the distinct implication is "Jerusalem is not yet ours, but hopefully will be next year at this time."

In any case, do you really mean to compare asserting possession of a disputed city comparable in malice and hate that it shows to persecuting people who dare to express sympathy for Israel and having school children stomp on the Israeli flag every day? Really?

But by all means, while you rip Jews for (not, actually) teaching their kids that Jerusalem is theirs, I'd love your opinion on Mecca (and from what I read, now Medina as well) being closed altogether to non-Muslims.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/a12ac/#2
  9. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    23 Mar '12 02:33
    Further proof that regarding everything Israel, you simply don't have a clue.

At the end of the Passover seder, Jewish families say "Next year in Jerusalem," which is a reference to the Messiah coming before next year, thereby having all Jews moved to Israel. They don't say "Jerusalem is ours." On the contrary, the distinct implication is "Jerusalem is not y ...[text shortened]... g closed altogether to non-Muslims.

I am so reminded of the "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield" episode of the old Star Trek.

"Like Lokai, Bele is half black and half white, with the color divided by a line through the exact center of his face. However, the sides of Bele's black and white skin are reversed from those of Lokai, a difference which seems inconsequential to the Enterprise crew but of great importance to Bele, Lokai, and, apparently, their civilization. The difference is pointed out by Bele to a perplexed Captain Kirk who asks what is the difference between them, to which he replies, "Isn't it obvious? Lokai is white on the right side. All his people are white on the right side!""emphasis mine
  10. 23 Mar '12 14:04
    I'd love your opinion on Mecca (and from what I read, now Medina as well) being closed altogether to non-Muslims.

I think Medina always has been, actually.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    23 Mar '12 14:44
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    I am so reminded of the "Let that Be Your Last Battlefield" episode of the old Star Trek.

"Like Lokai, Bele is half black and half white, with the color divided by a line through the exact center of his face. However, the sides of Bele's black and white skin are reversed from those of Lokai, a difference which seems inconsequential to the Enterprise ...[text shortened]... the right side. [b]All his people are white on the right side!
    ""emphasis mine[/b]
    Yes, that was a good episode.