Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 07 Apr '16 03:05 / 3 edits
    http://unitedwithisrael.org/un-names-democratic-israel-as-top-violator-of-human-rights-for-women/[WORD TOO LONG]

This proves the United Nations has to be dismantled or moved to Mecca.

The UN Human Rights Council (CSW) concluded its month-long session in Geneva last week by condemning Israel five times more than any other of the 192 UN member states.

“At New York’s UN headquarters, 8,100 NGO representatives gathered from all corners of the globe, in addition to government delegates, and watched the weight of the entire world of women’s rights descend on only one country,” Anne Bayefsky, director of the Touro Institute on Human Rights and the Holocaust, wrote in a recent Fox News column.

“On the ground, Palestinian women are murdered and subjugated for the sake of male honor, Saudi women can’t drive, Iranian women are stoned to death for so-called ‘adultery,’ Egyptian women have their genitals mutilated and Sudanese women give birth in prison with their legs shackled for being Christian,” Bayefsky noted. “Isn’t it about time that people stopped calling the UN a harmless international salon or a bad joke?”
  2. 07 Apr '16 06:33
    Don't you think that a semi-democracy like Israel should be held to a higher standard than a theocratic dictatorship like Saudi Arabia?
  3. 07 Apr '16 06:47
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Don't you think that a semi-democracy like Israel should be held to a higher standard than a theocratic dictatorship like Saudi Arabia?
    Shouldn't the UN then make separate lists for democracies and dictatorships?

Are just arguing with Whodey because he is Whodey?
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    07 Apr '16 06:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://unitedwithisrael.org/un-names-democratic-israel-as-top-violator-of-human-rights-for-women/[WORD TOO LONG] ...[text shortened]... rm=more_btn_light_png

This proves the United Nations has to be dismantled or moved to Mecca.
    No it doesn't.
  5. 07 Apr '16 16:30
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Shouldn't the UN then make separate lists for democracies and dictatorships?

Are just arguing with Whodey because he is Whodey?
    I guess what he is saying is that nothing good should be expected of subhuman Islamic dictatorships so why bother addressing them?
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Apr '16 16:40 / 1 edit
    From Wikipedia:

As of 2016, women comprised 26.7% of Israel's 120-member Knesset, placing it 54th of 185[21] countries in which women are included in the legislature.

Women have taken part in Israel’s military before and since the founding of the state in 1948,[31][32] with women currently comprising 33% of all IDF soldiers and 51% of its officers,

An IMD survey published in 2012 ranked Israel in eleventh place out of 59 developed nations for participation of women in the workplace. In the same survey, Israel was ranked 24th for the proportion of women serving in executive positions.[4] Israeli law prohibits discrimination based on gender in employment and wages and provides for class action suits.

As of 2008, the maternal mortality rate in the country was 7 per 100,000 births, one of the lowest in the world. Women and men were given equal access to diagnostic services and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases.

Sexual harassment is illegal but remains widespread. The law requires that suspected victims be informed of their right to assistance. Penalties for sexual harassment depend on the severity of the act and whether blackmail is involved; range from two to nine years' imprisonment.[3]

The 1998 Israeli Sexual Harassment Law interprets sexual harassment broadly, and prohibits the behavior as a discriminatory practice, a restriction of liberty, an offence to human dignity, a violation of every person's right to elementary respect, and an infringement of the right to privacy. Additionally, the law prohibits intimidation or retaliation that accommodates sexual harassment. Intimidation or retaliation thus related to sexual harassment are defined by the law as "prejudicial treatment".

The idea that Israel routinely violates women's rights is sheer lunacy. Israel is at least as protective of women's rights as the standard OECD member.
  7. 07 Apr '16 16:59 / 1 edit
    I guess what he is saying is that nothing good should be expected of subhuman Islamic dictatorships so why bother addressing them?
    It seems to be the argument. If there ever were a justification to treat someone differently Israel should be given more latitude to deal with the hateful fundamentalist regimes which surround them.
  8. 07 Apr '16 19:02
    I am saying both the Israeli and many other regimes (that is, all of them, to varying degrees) have much work to do when it comes to improving human rights.

The UNHRC's member list is rather dubious so I wouldn't put much confidence in their judgments.
  9. 07 Apr '16 20:57
    I think anyone who thinks they can dictate standards to any sovereign State has delusions of grandeur.
  10. 07 Apr '16 21:02
    Do you suppose that either Israel or Saudi Arabia gives a rat's rear end what you think?
  11. 07 Apr '16 21:15
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Do you suppose that either Israel or Saudi Arabia gives a rat's rear end what you think?
    No, I don't think so. Do you suppose that they give a rat's rear end about what you think about what I think?
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Apr '16 22:29
    I think anyone who thinks they can dictate standards to any sovereign State has delusions of grandeur.
    The international community can and does often dictate standards to sovereign states. A sovereign state has no right to violate the natural rights of its subjects or foreign subjects. Governments that do can be tried for crimes against humanity.
  13. 08 Apr '16 16:20
    No, I don't think so. Do you suppose that they give a rat's rear end about what you think about what I think?
    Nope.
  14. 08 Apr '16 16:38
    Originally posted by sh76
    The international community can and does often dictate standards to sovereign states. A sovereign state has no right to violate the natural rights of its subjects or foreign subjects. Governments that do can be tried for crimes against humanity.
    Yes, proclamations are made, but is anyone ever prosecuted for those "crimes against humanity"?

Is the notion of a big bad international community bullying a small sovereign State not offensive to our notion of national liberty. Just what natural rights are is debatable. Consensus is usually reached by agreements between large national governments, bypassing local or regional governments. If that had been the case when the United States was formed, European powers would have probably declared us rogues.
  15. 08 Apr '16 17:05
    Yes, proclamations are made, but is anyone ever prosecuted for those "crimes against humanity"?
    Yes - as long as the crimes were committed in the former Yugoslavia or in Africa.