Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 07 Mar '13 06:16
    Israeli forces have sprayed Palestinian homes in the village of Nabi Saleh with raw sewage as a punishment for organising weekly protests against the Apartheid Wall built on occupied West Bank land. Human rights watchdog B'Tselem published a video showing Israel's armoured tanker trucks fitted with "water cannons" which spray the foul fluid at Palestinian protesters.

B'Tselem said in a statement that the Israeli forces also targeted all the houses of the village with the sewage. The powerful jet broke windows and caused a great deal of damage in the houses, said the Israeli organisation. "It also causes environmental damage," it pointed out. The non-lethal weapon has been added to the Israelis' armoury for crowd control, said B'Tselem, even though the video shows clearly that it is also used against Palestinian-owned property.

The Israeli military has been looking for an alternative to tear gas canisters for crowd control, claiming that the Palestinians now know how to cope with the gas and its effects.

http://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/middle-east/5416-israeli-security-forces-spray-raw-sewage-at-palestinian-homes
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '13 07:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Rutherford7Mar1911
    Israeli forces have sprayed Palestinian homes in the village of Nabi Saleh with raw sewage as a punishment for organising weekly protests against the Apartheid Wall built on occupied West Bank land. Human rights watchdog B'Tselem published a video showing Israel's armoured tanker trucks fitted with "water cannons" which spray the foul fluid at Palestinian protesters.
    It could well be that - in reality - the only way to stop Israel from doing things like this is for the Palestinians to stop protesting.
  3. 07 Mar '13 10:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    It could well be that - in reality - the only way to stop Israel from doing things like this is for the Palestinians to stop protesting.
    Alternatively it may be that the only way to prevent the Palestinians from protesting is for Israel to stop carrying out these provocative acts.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '13 10:36
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Alternatively it may be that the only way to prevent the Palestinians from protesting is for Israel to stop carrying out these provocative acts.
    I don't think so. If I understand correctly, the protests are about a wall that the Israelis are simply never going to dismantle.
  5. 07 Mar '13 10:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think so. If I understand correctly, the protests are about a wall that the Israelis are simply never going to dismantle.
    They might feel secure enough to if the Palestinians are allowed to exercise the right of protest without the 'faeces hitting the fan' and they respond with ever more peaceful demonstrations.

'Never' is a long time even for a wall.
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    07 Mar '13 11:42
    Originally posted by Rutherford7Mar1911
    Israeli forces have sprayed Palestinian homes in the village of Nabi Saleh with raw sewage as a punishment for organising weekly protests against the Apartheid Wall built on occupied West Bank land. Human rights watchdog B'Tselem published a video showing Israel's armoured tanker trucks fitted with "water cannons" which spray the foul fluid at Pal ...[text shortened]... com/news/middle-east/5416-israeli-security-forces-spray-raw-sewage-at-palestinian-homes
    I've observed this middle east mess for 40 years. It reminds me of two kids fighting over the same toy.
  7. 07 Mar '13 11:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    People don't have the right to protest there? If it were Jews that were protesting I suspect you would sing a different tune.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '13 12:06
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    People don't have the right to protest there?
    I said nothing of the sort

If it were Jews that were protesting I suspect you would sing a different tune.

If the reality of the two sides' relative power was exactly the other way round, I would make exactly the same observation, only the other way round. It's got nothing to do with one side being Jews.
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    07 Mar '13 12:51
    Bloody disgusting.
    And even suggesting letting the Israeli's get away with blue murder and such intimidation is even more disgusting.
    If you watch and say nothing... And all that?

Historical irony on a sarcastic level.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '13 13:10
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    And even suggesting letting the Israeli's get away with blue murder and such intimidation is even more disgusting.
    I don't see how anyone is going to stop the Israelis from doing stuff like this. They've been bulldozing Palestinian homes for decades, for example. No one has been able to make them stop.
  11. 07 Mar '13 14:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    I said nothing of the sort

[b]If it were Jews that were protesting I suspect you would sing a different tune.

If the reality of the two sides' relative power was exactly the other way round, I would make exactly the same observation, only the other way round. It's got nothing to do with one side being Jews.[/b]
    You don't seem to have much empathy for those being sprayed with sewage. Ecoli and all that can be bad for ones health. Imagine getting it in your eyes and getting an eye infection.
    This makes the Israelis look like major league jerks. Don't they care that they are making themselves look this way in the eyes of the world?
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '13 14:25 / 2 edits
    What a load of horses--t

The only source for this "story" is a site that says about themselves:

There is an urgent need for supporters of the Palestinian cause in particular to master the art of information gathering, analysis and dissemination. This requires well organized, focused and targeted operations. Such initiatives are virtually non-existent in the West today.

The Middle East Monitor (MEMO) was established to fill this gap. While there are several outstanding media monitoring networks operating mainly through the internet their main activity is invariably confined to exposing the flaws in existing coverage.

We intend to bring the Islamic perspective to the discourse, something which none has undertaken in the West.

http://www.middleeastmonitor.com/about-us

The relevant Google search comes up with no source but that self-described partisan hack site.

http://tinyurl.com/by7m69f

The only other article that seems to be close to relevant to that story that I can find is here:

http://www.imemc.org/article/65061

And that site is another self-described pro-Palestinian hack site.

http://www.imemc.org/about

And even that was about directing the dumping of sewage waste, not about "spraying Palestinian homes."

The article quotes B'tselem, but the B'tselem website has nothing about it

http://www.btselem.org/

The most recent article on the entire B'tselem site that so much as contained the word "sewage" is from January 1, 2011.

http://tinyurl.com/av4z3mf

So, how about we stick to the discussion of real stories instead of this sort of made up crap?
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Mar '13 14:32 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Bloody disgusting.
    If you watch and say nothing... And all that?

Historical irony on a sarcastic level.
    What's more disgusting is that some people are willing to take the word of anybody at all as long as it is consistent with their preconceived hate-notions.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '13 14:35
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    You don't seem to have much empathy for those being sprayed with sewage. Ecoli and all that can be bad for ones health. Imagine getting it in your eyes and getting an eye infection.
    I feel empathy, of course. My observation in response to the OP was not intended to express empathy but was instead to be a comment about Israeli impunity.

This makes the Israelis look like major league jerks. Don't they care that they are making themselves look this way in the eyes of the world?

I don't think their government does, not especially, no.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '13 14:44
    Originally posted by sh76
    So, how about we stick to the discussion of real stories instead of this sort of made up crap?
    Oh so it's a hoax? Well I transfer my comments instead to apply to stuff like dumping sewage in the Palestinian water supply and bulldozing houses etc.