Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Jan '16 22:11 / 1 edit
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/attractive-female-students-do-well-academically-compared-with-unattractive-women-us-study-finds-a6802131.html

"Attractive female students do well academically compared with unattractive women, US study finds:
    Looks don't seem to matter, at all, for male students"
    --Aftab Ali

I read the article. What would Charlotte Proudman think?
  2. 08 Jan '16 22:19
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/attractive-women-us-study-finds-a6802131.html

"Attractive female students do well academically compared with unattractive women, US study finds:
    --Aftab Ali

maybe a link that works?
  3. 08 Jan '16 22:40
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    maybe a link that works?
    Worked for me on a W7 laptop.

I can believe this bias exists.
  4. 08 Jan '16 23:11 / 2 edits
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/6219449/Vice-chancellor-female-students-are-a-perk.html

"Vice chancellor: female students are 'a perk'"
    --Graeme Paton

"Most male lecturers know that, most years, there will be a girl in class who flashes her
    admiration and who asks for advice on her essays. What to do? Enjoy her! She's a perk.
    ... the days are gone when a scholar could trade sex for upgrades. I know of two girls who, in 1982,
    got firsts in biochemistry from a south-coast university in exchange for favours to a professor
    ... she (attractive female student) will flaunt you her curves. Which you should admire daily
    ... you should look but not touch. So, sow your oats when you are young but enjoy
    the views--and only the views--when you are older."
    --Terence Kealey (Vice chancellor of Buckingham University)
  5. 08 Jan '16 23:14
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/6219449/Vice-chancellor-female-students-are-a-perk.html

--Graeme Paton

"Most male lecturers know that, most years, there will be a girl in class who flashes her
    admiration and who asks for advice on her essays. What to do? Enjoy her! She's a perk.
    ... the days a ...[text shortened]... ly the views--when you are older."
    What's your point ?
  6. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Jan '16 05:12

--Graeme Paton

... the days a ...[text shortened]... ly the views--when you are older."
    This sounds like it is more than her face that is her fortune. What is the face without the right body to go with it?
  7. 09 Jan '16 21:47
    Originally posted by phil3000
    What's your point ?
    "I am appalled that a university vice-chancellor (Terence Kealey) should display such an
    astounding lack of respect for women..."
    --Olivia Bailey (representing the National Union of Students)

Phil3000 shows his blindness toward the sexist objectification of women.
    But, as an anti-Muslim bigot, Phil3000 might have pretended to be outraged if the comments
    made about women by Terence Kealey had been made by a Muslim man.
  8. 09 Jan '16 22:02
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This sounds like it is more than her face that is her fortune. What is the face without the right body to go with it?
    "Your face is your fortune" is traditional career advice given to girls.

http://www.thefword.org.uk/2007/02/your_face/

"Your Face is Your Fortune:
    These days women can be successful in the workplace, but they're never allowed to forget
    what really matters: how sexually attractive they are to men. ..."
    --Marianne Cupit (1 February 2007)

"It is a depressing fact. Despite all her other achievements, a woman is still expected to be a beauty. ...
    The relationship between looks and power has never been more stark. Some employers
    chose women as office decoration rather than to be professional equals. The only two
    professions where women consistently earn more than their male counterparts are modeling
    and prostitution. That tells women everything they need to know about the qualities they are valued for."

I have heard the crude saying, "Every woman's sitting on her fortune."

"Female preoccupation with appearance and body insecurity are not merely personal problems;
    they are *political symptoms* of an economic culture that requires a pool of underpaid female labour
    to sustain the world economies and to complete work men would not be prepared to."
  9. 09 Jan '16 22:13
    (Originally posted by Duchess64
    "I am appalled that a university vice-chancellor (Terence Kealey) should display such an
    astounding lack of respect for women..."
    --Olivia Bailey (representing the National Union of Students)

Phil3000 shows his blindness toward the sexist objectification of women.
    But, as an anti-Muslim bigot, Phil3000 might have pretended to be outraged if the comments
    made about women by Terence Kealey had been made by a Muslim man.
    I always thought the phrase " your face is your fortune " was attributed to a man .
    There's a lot more parts to a woman that would open doors than her face ( I don't mean that literally by the way ).
    What about you Duchess , are you a bit of a looker , a little Chinese fire cracker ?
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    09 Jan '16 22:26
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/attractive-female-students-do-well-academically-compared-with-unattractive-women-us-study-finds-a6802131.html

--Aftab Ali

You mean about this spate between her and an associate?

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/sep/10/barrister-career-suicide-exposing-lawyers-sexist-remark

It shows how sexism effects women pretty starkly.

What do you think about her comment about being on Linkedin as a professional not as a sex object?

Could she have overreacted? Not trying to take the male POV but the dude didn't ask her out on a date or a tryst. Is that kind of statement, that the guy made, always sexist?
    Is it always sexist for a woman to be attractive if a man says so?
    Is it sexist if a woman says, 'Wow, you have some nice abs there'?
    Do you think that never happens?
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Jan '16 22:31
    "Your face is your fortune" is traditional career advice given to girls.

http://www.thefword.org.uk/2007/02/your_face/

"Your Face is Your Fortune:
    These days women can be successful in the workplace, but they're never allowed to forget
    what really matters: how sexually attractive they are to men. ..."
    --Marianne Cupit (1 February 2007)

"It is ...[text shortened]... emale labour
    to sustain the world economies and to complete work men would not be prepared to."
    I am sure you would also do much better, if you spent more money and time on your looks. There are a lot of things available to women today to make them more attractive to men. Even a woman's attitude toward a man can make a difference to that man in the way he sees her.
  12. 09 Jan '16 22:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean about this spate between her and an associate?

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/sep/10/barrister-career-suicide-exposing-lawyers-sexist-remark

It shows how sexism effects women pretty starkly.

What do you think about her comment about being on Linkedin as a professional not as a sex object?

Could she have overreacted? Not trying to ...[text shortened]... sexist if a woman says, 'Wow, you have some nice abs there'?
    Do you think that never happens?
    In earlier thread(s) here, Charlotte Proudman's response to Alexander Carter-Silk's
    comments already has been discussed.

In brief, most women welcome sincere compliments about their looks from men but only
    in certain contexts, not necessarily whenever the men feel like making them. There's a
    difference between a woman hearing "You're hot stuff!" on a date and in a professional forum.
    I believe that Alexander Carter-Silk's personal comment was inappropriate, though personally
    I would have made a less confrontational response than Charlotte Proudman did.

Wouldn't it be ironic *if* Charlotte Proudman, being an attractive young woman, has
    received some (more subtly) preferential treatment during her academic career?
  13. 09 Jan '16 22:43
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am sure you would also do much better, if you spent more money and time on your looks. There are a lot of things available to women today to make them more attractive to men. Even a woman's attitude toward a man can make a difference to that man in the way he sees her.
    Like any sensible woman, I already knew that RJHinds is hopelessly sexist.

"I am sure you would also do much better, if you spent more money and time on your looks."
    --RJHinds

When I prepare to play chess, I don't even bother to subsidize the cosmetics industry.
    (After losing a game, one opponent complained he was distracted by my revealing(?) dress.)
    Of course, my secret is always to play my male opponents when they are ill (sarcasm).

"I never have been able to defeat a healthy man."
    --Judit Polgar (alluding to excuses made by male opponents after they lost games)
  14. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    09 Jan '16 23:38

"I am sure you would also do much better, if you spent more money and time on your looks."
    --RJHinds

When I prepare to play chess, I don't even bother to subsidize the cosmetics industry.
    (After losing a game, one opponent complained he was distracted by my revealing(?) dre ...[text shortened]... ealthy man."
    --Judit Polgar (alluding to excuses made by male opponents after they lost games)
    I would loved to have seen that game! But you had a lot of problems early on playing chess as a kid if I recall correctly. It is sad to think of that.

My problem with women is not ogling them over a chess board but silently falling in love....
  15. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    09 Jan '16 23:52

--RJHinds

(After losing a game, one opponent complained he was distracted by my revealing(?) dre ...[text shortened]... ealthy man."
    I am just a normal heterosexual male, but not as vigorous as in my younger days.