Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Sep '09 02:28 / 1 edit
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090916/ap_on_go_co/us_health_care_heckling_carter

ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a town hall held at his presidential center in Atlanta. "There is an inherent feeling among many in this country that an African-American should not be president."

How dare a former President of the United States make that kind of accusation against a Congressman without any basis whatsoever!? I mean, is it possible that Wilson hates Obama because he's black? Well, anything's possible. But how would Carter possibly know or have reason to believe that this particular outburst was based on racism? Maybe he called the President a liar because he thinks that the President lied. Was Wilson wrong? Sure. Was he stupid to make the outburst? Sure. But racist?? What possible evidence is there of that? On what basis does Carter say "I think it's based on racism."?

It's pure, unadulterated race-baiting. For a person of Carter's stature as former President, it's inexcusable. Sure, he has the Constitutional right to say whatever he wants, but why be so incendiary? Either he should understand the importance of his position as former President and behave responsibly in that capacity or he should shut up.
  2. 16 Sep '09 02:31
    Originally posted by sh76

[i]ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a t ...[text shortened]... s former President and behave responsibly in that capacity or he should shut up.
    OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
  3. 16 Sep '09 02:33

[i]ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a t ...[text shortened]... s former President and behave responsibly in that capacity or he should shut up.
    I didn't know you were a racist sh76. Who woulda thunk it?
  4. 16 Sep '09 02:34
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
    Indeed, the racism is just brewing over with sh76. Shameful!!
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Sep '09 02:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Indeed, the racism is just brewing over with sh76. Shameful!!
    You know, when they asked Mrs. Carter, why she groomed Jimmy to be President and not Billy, she responded, "What, you think I was going to trust Jimmy with the peanut farm?"
  6. 16 Sep '09 02:43
    You know, when they asked Mrs. Carter, why she groomed Jimmy to be President and not Billy, she responded, "What, you think I was going to trust Jimmy with the peanut farm?"
    Oh, so now you are a sexist racist right wing hate monger. Great, just great!!
  7. 16 Sep '09 02:53

On a serious note, it is disapointing. Unlike Clinton, Jimmy seemed to be trying to do good from the heart. Guess he is like the rest.
  8. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    16 Sep '09 03:02 / 1 edit

ATLANTA – Former President Jimmy Carter said Tuesday that U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson's outburst to President Barack Obama during a speech to Congress last week was an act "based on racism" and rooted in fears of a black president.

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a t s former President and behave responsibly in that capacity or he should shut up.
    Methinks you doth protest too much.
  9. 16 Sep '09 03:06
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Methinks you doth protest too much.
    Hey wasn't that on the Shake Spear thread?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    16 Sep '09 03:17
    I've heard some shabby things about Rep. Joe Wilson over the years. Maybe Carter knows something we don't. Who knows, maybe he hit the nail on the head. Wilson, after all, got through eight extraordinarily lie-strewn years, without once shouting at Bush as if he were an errant train conductor or someone serving him drinks at a Sons Of Confederate Veterans dinner.
  11. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    16 Sep '09 03:31 / 1 edit

"I think it's based on racism," Carter said at a t s former President and behave responsibly in that capacity or he should shut up.
    Yeah, sounds like Carter said something dumb. A lot of stupid outburst lately.
  12. 16 Sep '09 03:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    I've heard some shabby things about Rep. Joe Wilson over the years. Maybe Carter knows something we don't. Who knows, maybe he hit the nail on the head. Wilson, after all, got through eight extraordinarily lie-strewn years, without once shouting at Bush as if he were an errant train conductor or someone serving him drinks at a Sons Of Confederate Veterans dinner.
    I hope you are not implying that"sons of confederate veterans" is racist.
  13. 16 Sep '09 03:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you are being too hard on our representatives. In fact, we need to trust them more.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    16 Sep '09 03:58
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I hope you are not implying that"sons of confederate veterans" is racist.
    What you mean like it's written into its constitution? No, not at all. Absolutely not.

meanwhile, a cursory sampling of the forums at the racist-infested www.freerepublic.com shows that Joe Wilson's little publicity seeking outburst is playing well among that crowd.

Carter may be onto something.
  15. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    16 Sep '09 04:09
    Only someone utterly ignorant of the history of South Carolina could find fault with the statements of a former President who was criticized during his campaign for the Presidency because he attended a racially segregated church, not that there was anything unusual in the mid-1970s about white churches and black churches in Georgia. In other words, Carter's statement is rooted in a deep knowledge of the South, and the ways people there code what they are really trying to say.