Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 14:37
    http://www.livescience.com/39481-time-to-declare-animal-sentience.html

It is obvious to me animals are sentient, almost all of them.

I had an experience that stuck with me:

We used mice traps and one I used (not now BTW) was this super sticky pad where the mouse steps on it and is trapped and will starve to death if left there.

So I found this baby mouse trapped on that pad. I tried to release it but it was so firmly trapped I would have pulled its little limbs off getting it off. I had no choice but to kill it as humanly as I could.

The thing that got me was going out to the garage with the poor thing in my hand, I looked at it and it looked at me and its ears bent back and its face contorted in obvious fear reaction. It was startling to say the least. That alone told me the poor thing was indeed sentient.

I had to kill it quickly as I knew there was no way possible to get it out of that super stickum trap. I killed it with an ax and it was quick. That was the only thing I could do in the circumstances.

The look of fear and the pulled back ears told me everything about animal sentience.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 15:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse

We used mice traps and one I used (not now BTW) was this super sticky pad where the mouse steps on it and is trapped and will starve to death if left there.

So I found this b ...[text shortened]... stances.

The look of fear and the pulled back ears told me everything about animal sentience.
    ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 16:16

Okay, they're sentient. Therefore what?

Anyway, while mammals are certainly capable of some level of emotion, you're probably ascribing something deeper to the look in its eyes than is actually there.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 17:051 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Okay, they're sentient. Therefore what?

Anyway, while mammals are certainly capable of some level of emotion, you're probably ascribing something deeper to the look in its eyes than is actually there.
    You were not there, you didn't see the little guy's body shrink, ears back, mouth in fear look, the instant we made eye contact.

You call animals sentient beings, they have to be treated with respect, not caged up a thousand to a pen like food chickens and such.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 17:503 edits
    You were not there, you didn't see the little guy's body shrink, ears back, mouth in fear look, the instant we made eye contact.

You call animals sentient beings, they have to be treated with respect, not caged up a thousand to a pen like food chickens and such.
    This thread wouldn't have anything to do with tomorrow being Thanksgiving would it ?

All those poor sentient Turkeys !

What a clever little Lib activist you are.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 18:42
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    This thread wouldn't have anything to do with tomorrow being Thanksgiving would it ?

All those poor sentient Turkeys !

What a clever little Lib activist you are.
    What, ME? Eyes blinking, halo on head๐Ÿ™‚
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 18:54
    What, ME? Eyes blinking, halo on head๐Ÿ™‚
    Ha ha good one ๐Ÿ™‚
    All joking aside, do you find Thanksgiving offensive ?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 18:56

You're anthropomorphisizing.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 19:31
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Ha ha good one ๐Ÿ™‚
    All joking aside, do you find Thanksgiving offensive ?
    No, not at all. Turkeys are there to be eaten, if not by the top predator, us, then wolves, hawks, moose, you know the regime๐Ÿ™‚
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 19:40
    Animals have always been known to be SENTIENT because they have SENSES.

Animals are not sapient.

The debate now is whether non-human animals are people. In Spain this is a fairly major political topic. They were going to declare apes people.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 22:301 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    You're anthropomorphisizing.
    That's what Abrahamic religions do with the whole universe, if you think about it.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 22:35
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    That's what Abrahamic religions do with the whole universe, if you think about it.
    So if I'm an atheist, and I still want to exterminate mice and roaches, does that make atheism Abrahamic?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 22:42
    Originally posted by normbenign
    So if I'm an atheist, and I still want to exterminate mice and roaches, does that make atheism Abrahamic?
    Abrahamic mice and roaches?

Move it to the spiritual forums!! ๐Ÿ˜ 
  14. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 22:58

I have heard that the abortions also cause reactions in a human fetus. What is your take on that?
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Nov '15 23:19
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I have heard that the abortions also cause reactions in a human fetus. What is your take on that?
    Guess it depends on if they are sentient or sapient, or anthropomorphic. ๐Ÿ™„