Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 13:59
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_O%27Brien_(broadcaster)

James Edward O'Brien (born 13 January 1972) is a British journalist, television presenter, radio presenter, and podcaster. He is one of the presenters on talk station LBC, presenting on weekdays between 10 am and 1 pm, hosting a phone-in discussion of current affairs and news, views and real-life experiences. He hosts a weekly interview series with JOE titled Unfiltered with James O'Brien. He has also occasionally presented Newsnight for the BBC.

Here is a sample of dealing with a caller on his show, but it can be applied to dealing with politicians as well. When the caller says something general and meaningless (or outright false) and trying to immediately move away from it, James O'Brien doesn't let him off the hook and demands an explanation, something american journalists just don't do out of fear of losing access.

YouTube
    Brexiteer loving Trump's work cannot cite any example of said work that he so loves.

Can you think of any american anchor, talk show host that does the same? (I am not saying they don't exist, i genuinely would like some examples)
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 14:14
    @zahlanzi said
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_O%27Brien_(broadcaster)

James Edward O'Brien (born 13 January 1972) is a British journalist, television presenter, radio presenter, and podcaster. He is one of the presenters on talk station LBC, presenting on weekdays between 10 am and 1 pm, hosting a phone-in discussion of current affairs and news, views and real-life experiences. He ...[text shortened]... ow host that does the same? (I am not saying they don't exist, i genuinely would like some examples)
    When zahlooney says something meaningless or downright false, Wajoma does not let him off the hook.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 15:52
    YouTube

It's funny that the more i listen to James, the more i find out of more and more ways the brits are going to be screwed by Brexit.

This caller is a grocer and he predicts that because the UK will not be in the EU anymore, it will have a massive fresh food shortage because the Dover-Calais crossing will be much more regulated.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 15:55
    @Wajoma
    So cards on the table Waj, what do you need to call him out about?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 12:35
    YouTube

From 'Brexit means Brexit' to 'You lost, get over it', James O'Brien sums up the most meaningless Brexiteers' slogans.
  6. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 12:37
    @zahlanzi said
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWD39s-yhpE

It's funny that the more i listen to James, the more i find out of more and more ways the brits are going to be screwed by Brexit.

This caller is a grocer and he predicts that because the UK will not be in the EU anymore, it will have a massive fresh food shortage because the Dover-Calais crossing will be much more regulated.
    Wow a grocer huh...
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 12:46
    @divegeester said
    Wow a grocer huh...
    i have a feeling you mean to say somethingđŸ˜€

yes, a grocer. a grocer that knows that if he puts in an order of produce it takes X amount of hours for the veggies to come along the chain to reach his shelves. X being in the context of a free border with the EU. If the border becomes unfree, X becomes Y, Y absolutely certainly more than X. Fresh produce will absolutely certainly reach big grocery markets in big cities first, while the smaller towns will get scraps.
  8. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 12:51
    @zahlanzi said
    i have a feeling you mean to say somethingđŸ˜€

yes, a grocer. a grocer that knows that if he puts in an order of produce it takes X amount of hours for the veggies to come along the chain to reach his shelves. X being in the context of a free border with the EU. If the border becomes unfree, X becomes Y, Y absolutely certainly more than X. Fresh produce will absolutely certainly reach big grocery markets in big cities first, while the smaller towns will get scraps.
    I guess he should have voted remain then. Many other people feel they will be better of if they voted leave. I can post a YouTube clip of them saying so if you like.
  9. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 12:552 edits
    @zahlanzi said
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsyKP6mW2iA

From 'Brexit means Brexit' to 'You lost, get over it', James O'Brien sums up the most meaningless Brexiteers' slogans.
    I listened to O'Brien last week, his pitch was that young people should vote leave in a second referendum if they want to be able to back pack across Europe of study in an EU based university. He forgot to mention Ibiza clubbing and blow-jobs on the beach which are big pullers too.

The rest of his show was his usual mix of his tears-in-his-beard re-moaning and feigned flabbergasted "aren't they all idiots" in the Brexit camp condescensions.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 12:55
    @divegeester said
    I guess he should have voted remain then. Many other people feel they will be better of if they voted leave. I can post a YouTube clip of them saying so if you like.
    did you hear that grocer say he voted to leave? because i didn't. was i not paying attention? should i rewatch the video? or are you assuming?

"Many other people feel they will be better of if they voted leave. I can post a YouTube clip of them saying so if you like."
    do other people's opinions matter to this one instance of someone in a given industry saying he, in that particular industry, will suffer from a more heavily regulated border? or do you have a different grocer saying it's a good thing his lettuce will stay more hours in customs ?
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 12:57
    @divegeester said
    I listened to O'Brien last week, his pitch was that young people should vote leave in a second referendum if they want to be able to back pack across Europe of study in an EU based university.

The rest of his show was his usual mix of his tears-in-his-beard re-moaning and feigned flabbergasted "aren't they all idiots" in in the Brexit camp condescensions.
    i would like proof to that. link the video. i want to see just how broken your sarcasm detector was.
  12. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 13:00
    @zahlanzi said
    did you hear that grocer say he voted to leave? because i didn't. was i not paying attention? should i rewatch the video? or are you assuming?

"Many other people feel they will be better of if they voted leave. I can post a YouTube clip of them saying so if you like."
    do other people's opinions matter to this one instance of someone in a given industry saying he, in tha ...[text shortened]... o you have a different grocer saying it's a good thing his lettuce will stay more hours in customs ?
    Yes, he's a remainer and voted remain and I'm vicariously assuring him that for him he should have voted remain. For me the best thing is to vote leave.

The big corporations who pay no UK tax incidentally and want to remain because it's "better for the country" will ensure my lettuces and potatoes are on their shelves don't worry đŸ˜‰
  13. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 13:00
    @zahlanzi said
    i would like proof to that. link the video. i want to see just how broken your sarcasm detector was.
    Proof of what?
  14. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 13:02
    @zahlanzi said
    Do you ever listen to any of the other broadcasters on LBC or just the ones who reinforce your opinion?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 13:06
    @divegeester said
    Proof of what?
    you said you heard a video of james o'brien telling young people to vote leave on a second referendum to go backpacking through europe or attend a EU university and it seemed you assumed it was an earnest suggestion and not sarcasm. I am saying it seems you assumed that because if you knew it was sarcasm, i fail to understand why it is relevant.
    So please explain and link that video.

were you meaning to imply james wasn't sarcastic?