Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:13
    @zahlanzi said
    I hear a lot of absence of actual debating around your posts.
    You did bring in a grocer and the Bible on your side right...?
  2. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:15
    @zahlanzi said
    you said that already. At some point you should present some new information.
    About what I'm just debunking you sort of "grocer" fait accompli position on James O'Brien being the destroyer of brexit
  3. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:16
    @zahlanzi said
    Also, i don't need to find a different version of facts if i have no reason to suspect my facts are incorrect. Give me a reason and i will evaluate additional information presented to me.
    I don't need to find a different version of the facts either.
    So there we both are back in our trenches. Fun wasn't it.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:47
    @divegeester said
    I was being obtuse only because my reasons are well published here 🙂
    this information doesn't mean anything to me. it doesn't change the fact that you dismissed the entire persona of a broadcaster i linked without attacking anything specific he said, that you dismissed (even derided) the opinion of a man genuinely concerned he will lose his business because of brexit and when asked about your reasons for voting leave you snubbed me which you have every right to do ultimately.

You joined a discussion and took it nowhere.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:53
    @divegeester said
    About what I'm just debunking you sort of "grocer" fait accompli position on James O'Brien being the destroyer of brexit
    You have the impression you debunked anything by making it clear you're deriding the opinion of a grocer, simply because he is a grocer? You have the impression that if you misrepresent my position on O'Brien, you have debunked anything?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:57
    @divegeester said
    You did bring in a grocer and the Bible on your side right...?
    Yes, no need to actually try and argue against those arguments. It's much easier to just label them as ridiculous, act like they're ridiculous and have been all along.

Also, the distinct lack of actual debating on your part remains just as noticeable before you adding yet another useless post.
  7. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:58
    @zahlanzi said
    You have the impression you debunked anything by making it clear you're deriding the opinion of a grocer, simply because he is a grocer? You have the impression that if you misrepresent my position on O'Brien, you have debunked anything?
    No, I'm deriding your opinion that this grocer calling into the James O'Brien moan-show somehow says something significant.
  8. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 16:00
    @zahlanzi said
    Yes, no need to actually try and argue against those arguments. It's much easier to just label them as ridiculous, act like they're ridiculous and have been all along.

Also, the distinct lack of actual debating on your part remains just as noticeable before you adding yet another useless post.
    I'm not impacted by the opinion of one grocer, much less by Mr O'Brien.
    You seem to think you are onto something here. You aren't.
    You're just a little tickled by someone on the radio who thinks like you do.
  9. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 16:05
    @zahlanzi said
    this information doesn't mean anything to me. it doesn't change the fact that you dismissed the entire persona of a broadcaster i linked without attacking anything specific he said, that you dismissed (even derided) the opinion of a man genuinely concerned he will lose his business because of brexit and when asked about your reasons for voting leave you snubbed me which you have every right to do ultimately.

You joined a discussion and took it nowhere.
    James O'Brien is hand-wringing remoaning whinger. I've listened to his show for years. He drones on and on and on, it's bloody painful some days. People lose their jobs everyday, businesses go bust every day. Stop playing the violin over one grocer who "thinks" he will go bust. Go back to Mr O'Brien, I'm sure he will have a butcher on later who's worried about importing his meat from somewhere or another.

Jeez.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 16:08
    @divegeester said
    I'm not impacted by the opinion of one grocer, much less by Mr O'Brien.
    You seem to think you are onto something here. You aren't.
    You're just a little tickled by someone on the radio who thinks like you do.
    Mmmyeah, i think i am done wasting my time with you. I've asked you to clarify why the grocer is wrong, why O'Brien is wrong (on the youtubes i posted or on anything else), why you voted leave, why that other guy is "more right" than O'Brien, you provided nothing.

I'm a bit sad about the time i lost with you but i am going to cut my losses instead of gambling further on you eventually actually arguing on something.
  11. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 18:16
    @zahlanzi said
    Mmmyeah, i think i am done wasting my time with you. I've asked you to clarify why the grocer is wrong, why O'Brien is wrong (on the youtubes i posted or on anything else), why you voted leave, why that other guy is "more right" than O'Brien, you provided nothing.

I'm a bit sad about the time i lost with you but i am going to cut my losses instead of gambling further on you eventually actually arguing on something.
    The grocer isn’t wrong. O’Brien is right about some stuff, as are you, as I’m I.

I voted leave because I want independence for the UK and I’m sick of the EU so much I hope the entire organisation collapses.
    I don’t want to be governed from Brussels, nor do millions and millions and millions of people all over Europe.

It really isn’t complicated and I don’t give a rats ass about your scorn, your ‘Mr Angry from Purley’ grocer, the whining prick and your hero of the moment Mr O’brien nor your silly YouTube clips.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 21:561 edit
    @divegeester said
    The grocer isn’t wrong. O’Brien is right about some stuff, as are you, as I’m I.

I voted leave because I want independence for the UK and I’m sick of the EU so much I hope the entire organisation collapses.
    I don’t want to be governed from Brussels, nor do millions and millions and millions of people all over Europe.

It really isn’t complicated and I don’t give a ...[text shortened]... rley’ grocer, the whining prick and your hero of the moment Mr O’brien nor your silly YouTube clips.
    Oh no, we made some progress. And optimist as i am i will take this as you finally being willing to have an honest discussion.

"I voted leave because I want independence for the UK "
    incidentally James has a ton of callers wanting "independence" for the UK and he asks each the same question: name what thing you, as a citizen, will be able to do once you left the EU that you couldn't do before. If you can't do that, name something the UK wanted to do before but couldn't because it was a member of the EU and will be able to do now.

"I don’t want to be governed from Brussels"
    You aren't. I predict you won't be bothered to prove me wrong.

"nor do millions and millions and millions of people all over Europe. "
    the same millions that overwhelmingly want to stay in the EU?

EDIT: i already wrote the above until reaching this last paragraph and my optimism you became civil and willing to debate was shattered. Might as well keep responding and posting this.

"It really isn’t complicated and I don’t give a rats ass about your scorn"
    And we started on such a positive note, almost civilized, then this rudeness.

"your ‘Mr Angry from Purley’ grocer"
    the grocer was quite civil, quite calm, almost resigned with the inevitability of his business doing worse or going down. who was angry?

"the whining prick "
    who is the whining prick? the one who loves Trump from the first video? he was ignorant and set in his opinion and couldn't name something Trump has accomplished that he liked but he wasn't whining and he wasn't a prick. If he is who you are referring to, i hate to break it to you but you're fast approaching this "whining prick" label.

"your hero of the moment Mr O’brien"
    i quite like him, yes. He listens to callers, he stops them when they are wrong, he acknowledges when they tell him something he doesn't know (there have been a number of experts in various fields coming on and telling him of things he hadn't thought of)

"nor your silly YouTube clips."
    that's, like, your opinion, man
  13. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 22:161 edit
    @zahlanzi said
    And optimist as i am i will take this as you finally being willing to have an honest discussion.
    A honest discussion about what, your love of James O’Brien?
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 15:04
    Just happened upon this Iain Dale clip and since someone recommended him, i thought i gave it a go.

In case anyone is curious, have a demonstration on strawmaning done in a civilized, British manner.

YouTube

"Jason in Sutton calls up LBC to explain what Brexit will mean for British exporters. Iain Dale doesn't like what he's hearing and repeats his favourite falsehood, that the UK currently trades on WTO rules alone with nations around the world. It doesn't. Jason corrects him and so Iain starts with the straw man arguments by claiming the caller said 'trade will stop' on 29th March 2019.

Iain said he'd apologise if the tape proved him wrong, we'll see if he ever does. It was an adroit and timely deflection though. "
  15. Stargazing
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 15:091 edit
    @zahlanzi said
    Just happened upon this Iain Dale clip and since someone recommended him, i thought i gave it a go.

In case anyone is curious, have a demonstration on strawmaning done in a civilized, British manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJCmAEy1Q0

"Jason in Sutton calls up LBC to explain what Brexit will mean for British exporters. Iain Dale doesn't like what he's hea ...[text shortened]... tape proved him wrong, we'll see if he ever does. It was an adroit and timely deflection though. "
    Well I hope you feel better now that you “came across” that clip 😆

Go play some World of Warcraft.