Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 05:36
    @earl-of-trumps said
    It is so mean-spirited of you to criticize cultural ethos, unless it is American. Ha!
    I don’t discriminate in my hatred of all of you.
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 08:42
    @Duchess64 - Apparently, Japanese sexism is fine with Ghost of a Duke as long as he can bash the Chinese.

And apparently, Chinese Slavery is fine with Duchess64 as long as she can bash the Americans.

Now, isn't that the painful truth, there Duchess64, eh?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    The Moral Godfather
    London
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 09:24
    @duchess64 said
    In fact, Ghost of a Duke has missed my posts in an earlier thread where I commented
    upon the allegations circulated by the BBC (shortly after they came out).
    As I recall, none of the usual rabid Sinophobes here took much exception to what I wrote.

Professional women who have worked in China, Taiwan, Korea (South), and Japan
    have commented that Japan remains the most s ...[text shortened]... _Chu

Apparently, Japanese sexism is fine with Ghost of a Duke as long as he can bash the Chinese.
    In your comments about the BBC report detailing allegations of rape, sexual abuse and torture of ethnic Uighur and other Muslim women in China did you voice your abhorance?

Did you watch the report?
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 09:39
    @mott-the-hoople said
    wow...Japan only has TWO genders...imagine that.
    Yes and a penchant for school uniforms, molesting women and girls on buses and latex sex partners instead of real ones. But hey they must be normal because according to you they only have two genders.
    They have a multitude of genders like everywhere else on the planet, suppression and non recognition isn’t the same as non existence.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 11:231 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In your comments about the BBC report detailing allegations of rape, sexual abuse and torture of ethnic Uighur and other Muslim women in China did you voice your abhorance?

Did you watch the report?
    First of all, I have no need to waste my time reiterating what I wrote simply
    because Ghost of a Duke's willfully ignorant of them.

Second, I do NOT accept that something is true simply because it comes from the BBC.
    During the Nigerian Civil War, the UK supported the government against the Biafrans (Igbo),
    so the BBC had a fierce anti-Biafran bias. In Igbo slang, when someone said,
    "He's a BBC", it meant that he's a shameless liar.

I infrequently watch or listen to BBC news programmes.
    When I do, it's mostly about UK domestic news or to assess the current state of BBC biases.

The BBC has little (or no) credibility among most Chinese. Chinese with longer memories
    may recall that the BBC spent decades glorifying British racist colonial rule in Hong Kong.
    (Almost all white people here--Ash may be an exception--apparently admire
    having a few white Brits rule with absolute power over many more Chinese. )

The BBC's deeply biased and has a poor grasp of historical context in covering China.
    That said, IF what the BBC claims, which it admits lacks independent corroboration
    (but I expect that Ghost of a Duke never would care about corroboration when it
    comes to his prejudices), is true, then it would be very disturbing to most Chinese.

As I recall, I QUOTED a Western analyst on China who said that he very much doubts
    that Xi Jinping or other leaders at the top have ordered the sexual abuse of detained Uyghurs.
    (What could they possibly have to gain?) Every prison system has some sadists in it.
    What's much more likely is that people in charge have failed to discipline these sadists
    when they abuse detainees. This may be happening because some local official
    has promised his superiors something like: "I shall get the results that you want
    with the Uyghurs IF you give me a free hand to do things my way. "

There's nothing new (let alone uniquely Chinese) about this.
    In EVERY society, unimaginative people in authority have believed that they can
    get whatever they want by applying more and more brute force.

The British have long run concentration camps in various places (including South Africa,
    Malaya, and Kenya) that were about as cruel and dehumanizing as any in history.
    Yet not many Brits apparently feel any less proud of the UK because of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising#British_war_crimes

"The British authorities suspended civil liberties in Kenya. Many Kikuyu were forced to move.
    Between 320,000 and 450,000 of them were interned. Most of the rest – more than
    a million – were held in "enclosed villages" also known as concentration camps.
    Although some were Mau Mau guerrillas, most were victims of collective
    punishment that colonial authorities imposed on large areas of the country.
    Hundreds of thousands were beaten or sexually assaulted to extract information
    about the Mau Mau threat. Later, prisoners suffered even worse mistreatment in
    an attempt to force them to renounce their allegiance to the insurgency and to
    obey commands. Prisoners were questioned with the help of "slicing off ears,
    boring holes in eardrums, flogging until death, pouring paraffin over suspects
    who were then set alight, and burning eardrums with lit cigarettes". Castration by
    British troops and denying access to medical aid to the detainees were also
    widespread and common.[218][219][220] Among the detainees who suffered
    severe mistreatment was Hussein Onyango Obama, the grandfather of Barack
    Obama, the former President of the United States. According to his widow, British
    soldiers forced pins into his fingernails and buttocks and squeezed his testicles
    between metal rods and two others were castrated.[221]

The historian Robert Edgerton describes the methods used during the emergency:
    "If a question was not answered to the interrogator's satisfaction, the subject was
    beaten and kicked. If that did not lead to the desired confession, and it rarely did,
    more force was applied. Electric shock was widely used, and so was fire.
    Women were choked and held under water; gun barrels, beer bottles, and even
    knives were thrust into their vaginas. Men had beer bottles thrust up their rectums,
    were dragged behind Land Rovers, whipped, burned and bayoneted... Some police
    officers did not bother with more time-consuming forms of torture; they simply
    shot any suspect who refused to answer, then told the next suspect, to dig his own grave.
    When the grave was finished, the man was asked if he would now be willing to talk."

"Author Wangari Maathai indicates that in 1954, three out of every four Kikuyu men
    were in detention, and that land was taken from detainees and given to collaborators.
    Detainees were pushed into forced labor. Maathai also notes that the Home Guard
    were especially known to rape women. The Home Guard's reputation for cruelty in
    the form of terror and intimidation was well known, whereas the Mau Mau soldiers
    were initially respectful of women."

Surely, that makes you proud to be a Brit, right?
    Indeed, the UK government was very proud of 'winning' in the 'Kenyan Emergency'.
    It was not until several decades later that some of the facts of the UK's Nazi-like crimes began to emerge.

The UK government has systematically destroyed historical records in attempting
    to erase the evidence of its many terrible crimes. I have posted articles about it.

Somewhere in the Bible, Jesus says something about 'casting the first stone'.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 11:31
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yes and a penchant for school uniforms, molesting women and girls on buses and latex sex partners instead of real ones. But hey they must be normal because according to you they only have two genders.
    They have a multitude of genders like everywhere else on the planet, suppression and non recognition isn’t the same as non existence.
    Kevcvs57 replied to Mott-the-Hoople.

"Japan's culture and major religions do not have a history of hostility towards homosexuality.[4]
    A majority of Japanese citizens are reportedly in favor of accepting homosexuality,
    with a 2013 poll indicating that 54 percent agreed that homosexuality should be
    accepted by society, while 36 percent disagreed, with a large age gap.[5]
    Although many political parties have not openly supported or opposed LGBT rights,
    there are several openly LGBT politicians in office. A law allowing transgender
    individuals to change their legal gender post-sex reassignment surgery and
    sterilization was passed in 2003. Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
    and gender identity is banned in certain cities, including Tokyo.[6]"
    --Wikipedia

Japan's more tolerant of gay / lesbian / bisexual people than of transgender people.
    But there are some transgender Japanese.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    The Moral Godfather
    London
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 11:571 edit
    @Duchess64

Here you have created a thread about Japan not allowing women to speak in meetings. Where is the thread you have created about China's sexual abuse of Uighur and other Muslim women? Why are you not outraged about this? Did you not listen to the women who were interviewed, the terrible things they report they endured? If this report had been about the abuse carried out against women in America you would have created multiple threads.

Can you understand how this degrades any credibility you have when it comes to speaking up about abuse to women and how selective your concerns are?

YouTube
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 12:102 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @Duchess64

Here you have created a thread about Japan not allowing women to speak in meetings. Where is the thread you have created about China's sexual abuse of Uighur and other Muslim women? Why are you not outraged about this? Did you not listen to the women who were interviewed, the terrible things they report they endured? If this report had been about the abu ...[text shortened]... t abuse to women and how selective your concerns are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bPGl10Cts
    I have NO RESPONSIBILITY for Ghost of a Duke's willful ignorance of what I wrote.
    I am not the unpaid research assistant of an extremely dishonest and often abusive troll.

If Ghost of a Duke's so eager, then he should spend some time going back
    through my posts, though RHP now saves them conveniently for only 30 days.

I note that Ghost of a Duke apparently feels no less proud of being a Brit
    while turning his blind eye toward the vaster crimes of the British Empire.

Almost all Westerners like to keep making these incorrect assumptions:

1) All (or almost all) Muslims in China are Uyghurs.
    In fact, the largest group of Muslims are the Hui, who have a history of clashing with the Uyghurs.

2) All Uyghurs are nationalists who demand that Xinjiang become an independent Islamic Republic.
    (Given the absence of independent surveys, I don't know if that sentiment is increasing or decreasing. )
    In fact, some Uyghurs have embraced (perhaps harder to do now) their identity as
    citizens of China and are serving in the PLA.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    The Moral Godfather
    London
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 12:15
    @duchess64 said
    I have NO RESPONSIBILITY for Ghost of a Duke's willful ignorance of what I wrote.
    I am not the unpaid research assistant of an extremely dishonest and often abusive troll.

If Ghost of a Duke's so eager, then he should spend some time going back
    through my posts, though RHP now saves them conveniently for only 30 days.

I note that Ghost of a Duke apparently feels no ...[text shortened]... proud of being a Brit
    while turning his blind eye toward the vaster crimes of the British Empire.
    So no comment on the testimony of the woman and the terrible abuse she endured?

Doesn't your 'responsibility' lie with all women who have suffered sexual abuse, irrespective of where it happens?
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 12:323 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    So no comment on the testimony of the woman and the terrible abuse she endured?

Doesn't your 'responsibility' lie with all women who have suffered sexual abuse, irrespective of where it happens?
    The late Edward Said (who was the most prominent Palestinian intellectual in the USA)
    noted that every time there was a 'terrorist' incident allegedly by any Arab or Muslim
    (Said was not Muslim), US news agencies would contact him to demand that he condemn it.
    As if he (who did not even own a gun) somehow had some responsibility for it.

Given that he already had consistently made clear his commitment to humanist principles
    (though he believed that the Palestinians have the right to pursue armed struggle),
    Edward Said did not feel like being a puppet jerked around by hypocritical Americans
    who never criticized Israel's violence and other crimes, being urged to dance on command.
    So Edward Said refused to keep feeding the propaganda machine whose real agenda
    was to demonize Arabs and Muslims and oppose the Palestinian struggle for freedom.

Likewise, I already have made clear many times (my hateful trolls keep lying about it)
    that I have some major differences on some issues with China's current government.
    (I already told Teinosuke at least a few times that I approve of releasing the overwhelming
    majority of Uyghurs, who I assume are not terrorists or supporters of terrorism. )
    I have no obligation to make any further comments about a foreign government.
    I am not employed to represent the People's Republic of China in any capacity.

There's a vast amount of sexual violence against women in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    Would Ghost of a Duke demand that every black man in the world must instantly
    condemn every incident of sexual violence as soon it happens in the Congo?
    And if a black man does not, would Ghost of a Duke instantly condemn him?

So, like Edward Said, I decline to dance to the commands of hypocritical lying racist Westerners.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 16:54
    @duchess64 said
    Kevcvs57 replied to Mott-the-Hoople.

"Japan's culture and major religions do not have a history of hostility towards homosexuality.[4]
    A majority of Japanese citizens are reportedly in favor of accepting homosexuality,
    with a 2013 poll indicating that 54 percent agreed that homosexuality should be
    accepted by society, while 36 percent disagreed, with a large age ga ...[text shortened]... ay / lesbian / bisexual people than of transgender people.
    But there are some transgender Japanese.
    Good to know and apologies to Japan if I offended them, but surely mott the hoopla wouldn’t lie.
    My point that gender identity is not reliant on 3rd party recognition stands though.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    19 Feb '21 21:403 edits
    @kevcvs57 said
    Good to know and apologies to Japan if I offended them, but surely mott the hoopla wouldn’t lie.
    My point that gender identity is not reliant on 3rd party recognition stands though.
    I believe that everyone who professes to care about women in Japan should examine
    Japanese sexism in its own context. Instead, there's this 'whataboutism' by the likes
    of Ghost of a Duke, who apparently finds nothing wrong with Japanese sexism as it is.

Yes, Japanese women encounter less sexism than women in Afghanistan under the Taliban.
    But that would hardly make Japanese women feel any better.

I would add that it's an extremely disingenuous 'apples and orange' comparison
    (made by Ghost of a Duke) to compare sexism against ALL women in Japan with
    the alleged sexual abuse of some Uyghur women *detained* in China.
    These detained Uyghur women are an extremely tiny minority of women in China.

Unfortunately, *detained* women in *every* country are more vulnerable to sexual abuse.
    Consider the power difference between a helpless detained woman and a male guard.
    The male guard's nationality or 'race' do NOT transform him into a sexual predator.
    The circumstances of his victims' vulnerability may encourage him to act out his fantasies.

My point is that it's misleading to compare sexism against *all* women with sexual abuse
    against *detained* women because detained women are much more vulnerable.
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumpsonline
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Feb '21 06:411 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @Duchess64

Here you have created a thread about Japan not allowing women to speak in meetings. Where is the thread you have created about China's sexual abuse of Uighur and other Muslim women? Why are you not outraged about this? Did you not listen to the women who were interviewed, the terrible things they report they endured? If this report had been about the abu ...[text shortened]... t abuse to women and how selective your concerns are?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6bPGl10Cts
    Duchess64 said back to Ghost of a Duke:
    @duchess64 said
    "I have NO RESPONSIBILITY for Ghost of a Duke's willful ignorance of what I wrote.
    I am not the unpaid research assistant of an extremely dishonest and often abusive troll."

TRANSLATION: "Halp! I just got smacked down and can't get up!"