Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 12:51
    YouTube

Because of the beheading of two japanese citizens, there is now talk to change article 9 of the constitution of japan (which states that japanese forces will not invade foreign soil)
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 13:08
    BANZAI !!!
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 13:231 edit
    The thought of people notorious for suicide bombings going up against a nation infamous for kamikaze attacks, is interesting.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 13:31
    Originally posted by vivify
    The thought of people notorious for suicide bombings going up against a nation infamous for kamikaze attacks, is interesting.
    the thought that modern japan, the japan of today, is equivalent to the warmongering japan of WWII is insulting. i have no dislike towards you. i dislike this notion you put forth.

as such, the japan that is discussing the possibility to adjust its pacifist nature to allow military forces to attempt to keep its citizens safe (at the very least) is not known for kamikaze attacks.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 13:561 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    the thought that modern japan, the japan of today, is equivalent to the warmongering japan of WWII is insulting. i have no dislike towards you. i dislike this notion you put forth.

as such, the japan that is discussing the possibility to adjust its pacifist nature to allow military forces to attempt to keep its citizens safe (at the very least) is not known for kamikaze attacks.
    Anyone with 1\18th of a brain can tell Japan is nothing like how out was in the 40s. This was just random musing.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 15:35
    Anyone with 1\18th of a brain can tell Japan is nothing like how out was in the 40s. This was just random musing.
    there is no way to tell sarcasm in writing unless you make it utterly idiotic or one knows the owner of said sarcasm.

i don't know you and i didn't find it offensive/stupid enough to dismiss it as sarcasm. so i politely informed you that i find it offensive
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 16:06
    there is no way to tell sarcasm in writing unless you make it utterly idiotic or one knows the owner of said sarcasm.

i don't know you and i didn't find it offensive/stupid enough to dismiss it as sarcasm. so i politely informed you that i find it offensive
    Gotcha. Sorry. I don't want this to distract from the OP. So again, sorry for the confusion.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 16:38
    Gotcha. Sorry. I don't want this to distract from the OP. So again, sorry for the confusion.
    Nippon wa yurushimasu.

Japan forgives you. 😉
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 16:50
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Nippon wa yurushimasu.

Japan forgives you. 😉
    I have dishonored my family.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 17:11
    I feel compelled to point out that attacking Isis militarily, doesn't necessarily get you very far when it comes to keeping your citizens safe. Much better would be to come to some international agreement on how to deal with it in which case Japan's military would probably not be required.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 17:15
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJpb7wCr2U

Because of the beheading of two japanese citizens, there is now talk to change article 9 of the constitution of japan (which states that japanese forces will not invade foreign soil)
    I like that article in their Constitution. Wish we had one in ours saying the same thing.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 17:30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlJpb7wCr2U

.....as their fleet steams toward Pearl Harbor. 😛
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 19:48
    "'...a nation (Japan) *infamous* for kamikaze attacks"
    --Vivify

While I deeply condemn Japanese war crimes in Asia (most of which have
    received little attention in the West unless directed against Westerners), I
    have no moral objection to Japan's 'kamikaze attacks' against *military targets*.

There's much hypocrisy in American moral condemnation of kamikaze attacks.
    For instance, there was a popular wartime myth that Colin Kelly, a USAAF pilot,
    intentionally dove his B-17 bomber into a Japanese battleship, sinking it.
    Many Americans praised Colin Kelly for his alleged suicidal act of bravery.
    According to this myth, Colin Kelly received a posthumous Medal of Honor.
    So many Americans believed it was heroic for an American to make a suicidal
    attack (which never happened, but that's irrelevant to the belief in its heroism)
    against a Japanese warship, but it's incomprehensibly evil for a Japanese to
    make a suicidal attack against an American warship.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 21:112 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "'...a nation (Japan) *infamous* for kamikaze attacks"
    --Vivify

While I deeply condemn Japanese war crimes in Asia (most of which have
    received little attention in the West unless directed against Westerners), I
    have no moral objection to Japan's 'kamikaze attacks' against *military targets*.

There's much hypocrisy in American moral condemnation ...[text shortened]... t's incomprehensibly evil for a Japanese to
    make a suicidal attack against an American warship.
    There's a difference between an individual choosing this tactic on his own and a government using a srategy where soldiers kill themselves.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    15 Apr '15 21:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I feel compelled to point out that attacking Isis militarily, doesn't necessarily get you very far when it comes to keeping your citizens safe. Much better would be to come to some international agreement on how to deal with it in which case Japan's military would probably not be required.
    How would you propose diplomacy with ISIS (ISIL)?