Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Jun '12 17:12
    There are only 16 million people under the age of 16 in Japan's population of 128 million and the birth rate is continuing to fall. Projections indicate that in 100 years from now the population of Japan will fall to 43 million.

In brief, what policies would you propose to tackle this reality and the problems it causes?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Jun '12 17:22
    BBC documentary podcast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/docarchive#playepisode6

Docs: It's A Dog's Life - 9 June 2012
    Duration: 24 mins
    In a country having kittens over its plummeting birth-rate, there are now twice as many pets in Japan as there are children. As the number of dogs has increased, so too has the number of childless women and couples, many of whom dote on their dogs in place of children. Roland Buerk seeks an explanation for this explosion in interest in all things canine, and explores the demographic time-bomb behind it.
  3. 21 Jun '12 17:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    There are only 16 million people under the age of 16 in Japan's population of 128 million and the birth rate is continuing to fall. Projections indicate that in 100 years from now the population of Japan will fall to 43 million.

In brief, what policies would you propose to tackle this reality and the problems it causes?
    What problems does it cause?
  4. 21 Jun '12 17:55
    Originally posted by dryhump
    What problems does it cause?
    An aging population without enough young people to help take care of them, for one.
  5. 21 Jun '12 17:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Problems? I thought depopulation was the universal goal of globalists/progressives. I would think that all their endevours would be problem free since it is for the common good of all of humanity.
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    21 Jun '12 18:24
    Originally posted by FMF

I fail to see a problem here. I would like to congratulate them and would hope that every country would follow their lead.

If every country were to undergo similar projections, world population would revert to what is was in the 1950s. Once again, I fail to see the problem.
  7. 21 Jun '12 18:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not convinced there is a significant problem. But supposing the 'problem' is a lack of young people to do nursing jobs, then simply change the immigration laws and there will be a ready supply of cheap labour.
    But I think the 'problem' is much more of a worry than a reality. In reality all countries have some old people with no children to look after them and that is where social services comes in. Countries with poor social services have a problem.
    In Zambia, with the large number of deaths from AIDS mostly killing young adults, we have a lot of old people and children with no working age relatives to look after them. But if we had the money for better social welfare, that would be less of a problem.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    21 Jun '12 18:53
    Originally posted by FMF

Import Taiwanese.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Jun '12 19:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    Problems? I thought depopulation was the universal goal of globalists/progressives. I would think that all their endevours would be problem free since it is for the common good of all of humanity.
    Do you have any ideas for policies to tackle the problem of aging population that Japan currently faces and which will become more severe in the next 50 years?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Jun '12 19:43
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Once again, I fail to see the problem.
    Aging population, shrinking tax base etc.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Jun '12 19:47
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    In reality all countries have some old people with no children to look after them and that is where social services comes in.
    When these 16 million Japanese are aged between 25 and 40, and almost 50% of Japanese are retired, how will the social services be paid for? Do you have any policy ideas?
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    21 Jun '12 19:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    When these 16 million Japanese are aged between 25 and 40, and almost 50% of Japanese are retired, how will the social services be paid for? Do you have any policy ideas?
    Are you talking about them "entitlements"?

A healthy budget demands cuts in "entitlements"!
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Jun '12 19:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    I thought depopulation was the universal goal of globalists/progressives.
    As far as I know the aim of most counties' population policies is a replacement rate of about 2.1 or 2.2. Where did you read that "depopulation was the universal goal" of population policy? Have you got a link?
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    21 Jun '12 19:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Are you talking about them "entitlements"?

A healthy budget demands cuts in "entitlements"!
    What would be your policy ideas for tackling the consequences of [partially] dismantling social services when the demand is high?
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    21 Jun '12 19:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    What would be your policy ideas for tackling the consequences of [partially] dismantling social services when the demand is high?
    I wouldn't dismantle them.

I was parodying norm and whodey above.