Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Oct '14 02:30
    Does anyone here think that jihadists may send people to get exposed to Ebola and then come to the US?
  2. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    13 Oct '14 05:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    Does anyone here think that jihadists may send people to get exposed to Ebola and then come to the US?
    Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself.
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Oct '14 07:11
    I'm sure the Jihadists will get someone to go to Western Africa... sneak by doctors, lick the corpse of an Ebola victim... and then travel to the US.

I'm 100% sure of it.

SHIVER IN FEAR!!!
    YOU ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!

Or maybe not.
    Maybe a Jihadist might just get into a car and drive into a parade. Or blow up a subway train or something.

Not saying the Ebola thing won't happen... but you know... logistically... there are just so many easier ways to kill you guys.
  4. 13 Oct '14 09:08
    I’d say you have to be a pretty sick puppy to even come up with an idea like that. Whodey.

But yeah, it could happen. They could also get their hands on some nuclear bombs and blast us all to smithereens. It could happen.

Time to get afraid. Very afraid.
  5. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    13 Oct '14 10:34
    Major problem: The medical system in the countries in which jihadists are active is much weaker than those of "theWest". So the inverted system seems to be much more dangerous...
  6. 13 Oct '14 10:54
    I thought maybe this was what Obama was doing when he sent US troops into the Ebola epidemic. Send troops and then transfer them to Syria. It could wipe out the entire country over there without a single shot fired, and you don't even have to train and arm the virus to do its job.
  7. 13 Oct '14 13:13
    I thought maybe this was what Obama was doing when he sent US troops into the Ebola epidemic. Send troops and then transfer them to Syria. It could wipe out the entire country over there without a single shot fired, and you don't even have to train and arm the virus to do its job.
    I think your tin foil hat is cutting off oxygen from your dozen or so brain cells.
  8. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    13 Oct '14 13:50
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

If you are one of the previous "posters" here: Would you like to remove the screeners from air travel? Remove all guards from government buildings? Remove restriction from owning/carrying weapons, drop visa requirements etc., etc., etc.. I fail to see the fault in being alert about an Ebola epidemic entering our borders.
  9. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    13 Oct '14 13:56
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Major problem: The medical system in the countries in which jihadists are active is much weaker than those of "theWest". So the inverted system seems to be much more dangerous...
    Quite correct! Well done, brilliant. Syria should stop all those holiday travelers from Liberia immediately!
  10. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    13 Oct '14 14:00 / 1 edit
    I know your comment is "tongue in cheek" but don't you think the election being near at hand is the real impetus?
  11. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    13 Oct '14 14:00
    Originally posted by Quarl
    I fail to see the fault in being alert about an Ebola epidemic entering our borders.
    There's a HUGE difference from alertness to the paranoia in the opening question.
  12. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    13 Oct '14 14:41
    Originally posted by Lundos
    There's a HUGE difference from alertness to the paranoia in the opening question.
    I have read again and again the opening question. (It's a very short question and did not take long at all):

quote: Does anyone here think that jihadists may send people to get exposed to Ebola and then come to the US?

Still I fail to see any evidence of paranoia. It is simply a request for diverse opinions from others.

By your reply, I understand YOUR answer to his query is: The possibility of Ebola being used by terrorists is an impossibility.
  13. 13 Oct '14 14:44
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you."

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

If you are one of the previous "posters" here: Would you like to remove the screeners from air travel? Remove all guards from government buildings? Remove restriction from owning/carrying weapons, drop visa requirements etc., etc., etc.. I fail to see the fault in being alert about an Ebola epidemic entering our borders.
    "Being alert".

Please elaborate. How will this work in practice?
  14. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    13 Oct '14 15:10
    I have read again and again the opening question. (It's a very short question and did not take long at all):

quote: [b]Does anyone here think that jihadists may send people to get exposed to Ebola and then come to the US?

Still I fail to see any evidence of paranoia. It is simply a request for diverse opinions from others.

By your reply, I unders ...[text shortened]... R answer to his query is: The possibility of Ebola being used by terrorists is an impossibility.[/b]
    No, you only take into account a part of the question, which is kind of funny given 'its a very short question and doesn't take long'. You leave out the part of going to get exposed and then travel to the US. And you have broadened it to terrorist in generel.

Is it possible that some (probably domestic) terrorist will use some sort of weaponised Ebola string at some point in the US? Yes, of course it is.
    But that is not the question. Asking if current jihadists (I'm amusing from ISIL/ISIS) will send someone to Westafrica to expose themselves to Ebola and then travel to the US is paranoia as defined by my first comment in this thread.
  15. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    13 Oct '14 15:32
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    "Being alert".

Please elaborate. How will this work in practice?
    Do you desire a larger target to toss darts at? Here's an idea, give everyone your ideas on defeating Ebola. In addition to wearing a tin hat which you previously suggested.