Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Mar '12 01:30
    I'm watching him now on Anderson Cooper, advocating intervening in Syria.

He's a real breath of fresh air when he's not running for anything. He's obviously not a huge intellectual, but he speaks plainly and clearly and from the heart. And he makes sense.

Anderson asked him what he'd say to Americans who think we just can't afford another military adventure. He looked at the camera and said something like "What do we stand for? If we can prevent people from suffering a dying, how can we not do it?"

Now, I don't know if I agree with him but he seems completely honest and completely believable.

I understand why Obama beat him. I really do. The financial meltdown, the Bush Presidency, the Obama rock star effect, the "hope" the "change" (of course, we didn't really get any change, but that's another issue) etc. etc. Also, Obama is a better speaker and a better debater. He's younger and sharper, etc.

But after constantly seeing these plastic politicians like Obama and Romney and the whole gang who, so obviously, are only trying to say what the audience wants to hear, it's refreshing to see a politician really talk from the heart.
  2. 08 Mar '12 02:02
    "The fundamentals of the economy are strong"

and

"I'll get Bin Laden, my friends"
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Mar '12 02:47
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    "The fundamentals of the economy are strong"

and

"I'll get Bin Laden, my friends"
    Meh.

Big deal.

He didn't anticipate the crash. Neither did you or you'd have sold short Lehman Bros and Bear Sterns.

The fact that Obama did get Bin Laden doesn't meant McCain would not have.
  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    08 Mar '12 02:47
    Originally posted by sh76

He's a real breath of fresh air when he's not running for anything. He's obviously not a huge intellectual, but he speaks plainly and clearly and from the heart. And he makes sense.

Anderson asked him what he'd say to Americans who think we just can't afford another military adventu ...[text shortened]... wants to hear, it's refreshing to see a politician really talk from the heart.
    I think John McCain sincerely means well in what he does and says. I believe however George HW Bush was right when he said "America has more will than wallet". I feel very bad for the Syrian people who are clearly being killed and abused at the hands of there leader, however the sad fact is America does not have the resources to bomb and/or invade every country that that is guilty of wrongdoing.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Mar '12 02:54
    Originally posted by bill718
    I think John McCain sincerely means well in what he does and says. I believe however George HW Bush was right when he said "America has more will than wallet". I feel very bad for the Syrian people who are clearly being killed and abused at the hands of there leader, however the sad fact is America does not have the resources to bomb and/or invade every country that that is guilty of wrongdoing.
    We probably have the resources to topple Assad though, and I don't see why there was more of a compelling reason to topple Qadaffi than to topple Assad.
  6. 08 Mar '12 03:21

Anderson asked him what he'd say to Americans who think we just can't afford another military adventu ...[text shortened]... wants to hear, it's refreshing to see a politician really talk from the heart.
    Might be a good reason to vote for Ron Paul.
  7. 08 Mar '12 03:23
    Meh.

Big deal.

He didn't anticipate the crash. Neither did you or you'd have sold short Lehman Bros and Bear Sterns.

The fact that Obama did get Bin Laden doesn't meant McCain would not have.
    He said that after the data was in and economists began hitting the panic button.
  8. 08 Mar '12 03:36 / 1 edit

Anderson asked him what he'd say to Americans who think we just can't afford another military adventu wants to hear, it's refreshing to see a politician really talk from the heart.
    John McCain scares the poo out of me cause every time they talk about invading another country his eyes widen and he begins frothing at the mouth with eager anticipation. As for him being sincere, who cares? I would rather him be insencere and not go to war so as to save us a few trillion dollars and GI's from coming home in body bags.

Yep, I think he needs a straight jacket.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Mar '12 03:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yep, I think [John McCain] needs a straight jacket.
    Ah yes, the Soviet approach to disagreement.
  10. 08 Mar '12 03:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    Ah yes, the Soviet approach to disagreement.
    THey can have him. Come to think of it, I think they had him in a straight jacket in Nam.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Mar '12 03:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    THey can have him. Come to think of it, I think they had him in a straight jacket in Nam.
    No, you misunderstand. I am saying your sarcastic, misanthropic instincts remind me of the Soviet approach to disagreement. Whereas your making sneering light of his incarceration in Vietnam reminds me of the approach to disagreement in some parts the U.S. public domain.
  12. 08 Mar '12 04:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    No, you misunderstand. I am saying [b]your sarcastic, misanthropic instincts remind me of the Soviet approach to disagreement. Whereas your making sneering light of his incarceration in Vietnam reminds me of the approach to disagreement in some parts the U.S. public domain.[/b]
    Sarcastic comment? I'm serious, the man needs a straight jacket......again!!
  13. 09 Mar '12 19:22 / 2 edits

He's a real breath of fresh air when he's not running for anything. He's obviously not a huge intellectual, but he speaks plainly and clearly and from the heart. And he makes sense . . . it's refreshing to see a politician really talk from the heart.
    I agree with McCain on his general desire to intervene in the world, and do think he speaks from the heart. And he is much better when not running for anything.

Yet, he is becoming ancient and out of touch, or at least not his finest hour, as evident in his recent strong lead opposition in the Senate against repeal of DADT. Incredibly vocal opposition till the bitter end in the face of the military support of repeal of DADT. He was worse than Sam Nunn 20 years ago.
  14. 09 Mar '12 19:27
    We probably have the resources to topple Assad though, and I don't see why there was more of a compelling reason to topple Qadaffi than to topple Assad.
    Toppling Gaddafi was easier and didn't antagonize the Russians.
  15. 09 Mar '12 20:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Toppling Gaddafi was easier and didn't antagonize the Russians.
    True. Plus, unlike Libya, Syria is an accepted member of the Arab community.