Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 21 Dec '15 01:41
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5hC0jN5PHg

Judge Carolyn Walker-Diablo is a Muslim American who swore into her position on a Koran. This didn’t sit well with many Christian conservatives, especially the ones at Fox News.
  2. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    21 Dec '15 03:54
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

Judge Carolyn Walker-Diablo is a Muslim American who swore into her position on a Koran. This didn’t sit well with many Christian conservatives, especially the ones at Fox News.
    Well, if we are going to allow Sharia law for the Muslims, then we need Muslims judges. I just don't want them judging me.
  3. 21 Dec '15 04:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, if we are going to allow Sharia law for the Muslims, then we need Muslims judges. I just don't want them judging me.
    Your ignorance is astounding.
  4. 21 Dec '15 04:53

With the separation of church and state, why do you reckon they use religious books to swear upon?
  5. 21 Dec '15 05:30
    Originally posted by whodey
    With the separation of church and state, why do you reckon they use religious books to swear upon?
    I wonder if an atheist judge has to swear on a religious book?
  6. 21 Dec '15 07:23
    I would be interested in knowing why it hasn't been found unconstitutional yet. Has there been a case brought to SCOTUS?
  7. Standard member Soothfast
    21 Dec '15 07:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I would be interested in knowing why it hasn't been found unconstitutional yet. Has there been a case brought to SCOTUS?
    Swearing on a Bible is not actually legally required in the US. You can swear on a copy of the US Constitution, a Harry Potter book, or something else of your choosing.

https://www.au.org/church-state/january-2013-church-state/featured/so-help-me-gods
  8. 21 Dec '15 09:08
    yep, that is a valid point.

the idiots i am talking about however got upset over the fact that the wrong kind of religious book was used
  9. 21 Dec '15 10:56
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Swearing on a Bible is not actually legally required in the US. You can swear on a copy of the US Constitution, a Harry Potter book, or something else of your choosing.

https://www.au.org/church-state/january-2013-church-state/featured/so-help-me-gods
    Thanks for clearing that up.
  10. 21 Dec '15 11:48
    Originally posted by Soothfast

But they are still using a religious book.

I find it odd that atheists are having convulsions over nativity scenes but yet allow judges to swear on the Bible. I suppose it's the same reason that Congress has prayer before sessions but disallow children in public schools for doing the same.

Not much in the legal world makes sense.
  11. 21 Dec '15 11:54

I find it odd that atheists are having convulsions over nativity scenes but yet allow judges to swear on the Bible. I suppose it's the same reason that Congress has prayer before sessions but disallow children in public schools for doing the same.

How many atheists do you know who have "convulsions over nativity scenes"?
  12. 21 Dec '15 12:08

"I find it odd that atheists are having convulsions over nativity scenes but yet allow judges to swear on the Bible. "
    in one case a person practices a religious thing in private, of his/her own choice and affecting only him/her. in another case we have a big display of someone's religion being shoved down the throats of everyone in a very public space.

do you still find it odd?
  13. 21 Dec '15 15:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    How many atheists do you know who have "convulsions over nativity scenes"?
    I misspoke, usually smoke begins to come out of their eyes as their heads spin around and they spew bile.
  14. 21 Dec '15 15:04
    "I find it odd that atheists are having convulsions over nativity scenes but yet allow judges to swear on the Bible. "
    in one case a person practices a religious thing in private, of his/her own choice and affecting only him/her. in another case we have a big display of someone's religion being shoved down the throats of everyone in a very public space.

do you still find it odd?
    How is shoving the Bible or other religious book in front of the public as they are swore into office any different than a nativity scene?
  15. 21 Dec '15 15:26
    I misspoke, usually smoke begins to come out of their eyes as their heads spin around and they spew bile.
    Interesting. Where did you find these atheists? I work in science so I am surrounded by atheists most of the time and I have never encountered any of them giving a flying crap about nativity scenes.