Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 01 May '11 17:00
    I am recommending this video series on the Debate and Spirituality forums. You don't have to view them in sequence although it probably helps some. Try out Lecture 5 for example. Michael Sandel is engaging and even entertaining.

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?
    Michael Sandel

http://academicearth.org/courses/justice-whats-the-right-thing-to-do
  2. 01 May '11 19:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    I am recommending this video series on the Debate and Spirituality forums. You don't have to view them in sequence although it probably helps some. Try out Lecture 5 for example. Michael Sandel is engaging and even entertaining.

Michael Sandel

It's at Harvard. You know it will be leftist propaganda.
  3. 01 May '11 19:05
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Do you know why there are no more Marxists in the former USSR? It is because they have all found professorships in American universities.

Of course, once they destroy the American economy as well I'm not sure they will have anywhere else to run to. :'(
  4. 01 May '11 19:14
    Indeed, everybody knows all educational institutions of america have been taken over by secular progressive villains, it would be preferrable if americans avoided education altogether as to not have their minds contaminated by all the insidious propaganda.
  5. 01 May '11 23:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    Indeed, everybody knows all educational institutions of america have been taken over by secular progressive villains, it would be preferrable if americans avoided education altogether as to not have their minds contaminated by all the insidious propaganda.
    Actually, after my earlier post, I thought it unfair to make such a charge without at least looking at the link. I watched about 30 to 45 minutes of lecture, on the third topic progressive taxation and wealth transfer. The professor give a pretty fair outline of the libertarian arguments against unequal taxation and taxation in general to equalize outcomes. The hook comes when he gets to class participation, and a minority of students agree to defend the libertarian stance. Now the professor shows his true colors cross examining at great length, the views he disagrees with, giving attaboys to the libtards who agree with government theft and slavery.

Of course these are just kids and don't have all the answers, for example the Professor hit them with aren't you for democracy? None would give him the answer that I would, "Hell no I'm not for democracy. Not when the majority can vote to immorally steal my time and money, in effect my life." When 20% of the people pay, and 80% are beneficiaries democracy becomes like a wolf, a coyote, and a chicken voting on what's for dinner.

By the way, I do recommend listening to it. Although all of it will take a good deal of time.
  6. 02 May '11 02:53
    Actually, after my earlier post, I thought it unfair to make such a charge without at least looking at the link. I watched about 30 to 45 minutes of lecture, on the third topic progressive taxation and wealth transfer. The professor give a pretty fair outline of the libertarian arguments against unequal taxation and taxation in general to equalize outco ...[text shortened]... he way, I do recommend listening to it. Although all of it will take a good deal of time.
    Some of the lectures are less politically charged than others.

I ask that if people want to discuss lecture 7 and democracy, a separate thread be opened.
  7. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    02 May '11 04:23
    Originally posted by JS357

Michael Sandel

Had a quick glimpse, might return, but this caught my eye:

"Part 1 - A Lesson in Lying: Immanuel Kant believed that telling a lie, even a white lie, is a violation of one’s own dignity. Professor Sandel asks students to test Kant’s theory with this hypothetical case: if your friend were hiding inside your home, and a person intent on killing your friend came to your door and asked you where he was, would it be wrong to tell a lie? This leads to a video clip of one of the most famous, recent examples of dodging the truth: President Clinton talking about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky."

The initiators of force, threats of force and fraud are not due the truth. So it's a poor example, he then tries to morph 'The murderer at the door." into the Bill Clinton thing, where are the initiators of force in that case.

Many different subjects, hours of lectures, each topic warranting it's own thread.

BTW, not oweing the initiators of force the truth is why you are justified in evading your tax if you believe you've paid for the services you use.