Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 17:21
    Though both left and right wing supporters engage in childish name calling, I've noticed this is far more common among conservatives, Trump supporters are especially prone to this. Libtards, Commies, Dims etc. are common. When John Kerry was running for President he was known as Lurch (some republicans didn't know his real name) Hillary Clinton was given a few unsavoury names by the Trump supporters as well. Why is this childish, schoolyard habit so popular among Conservatives?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 17:31
    It's not a "conservative" trait, it's an American cultural phenomenon. For Americans, everything is showbiz, including politics.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 19:28
    @kazetnagorra said
    It's not a "conservative" trait, it's an American cultural phenomenon. For Americans, everything is showbiz, including politics.
    well said
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 19:35
    @mchill said
    Though both left and right wing supporters engage in childish name calling, I've noticed this is far more common among conservatives, Trump supporters are especially prone to this. Libtards, Commies, Dims etc. are common. When John Kerry was running for President he was known as Lurch (some republicans didn't know his real name) Hillary Clinton was given a few unsavoury names ...[text shortened]... the Trump supporters as well. Why is this childish, schoolyard habit so popular among Conservatives?
    Name calling is childish. Republican are made fun of more by comedians and late night TV shows. If you objection, is that it is juvenile to make fun of people instead of discuss important issues, I believe this is equivalent.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 19:37
    @quackquack said
    Name calling is childish. Republican are made fun of more by comedians and late night TV shows. If you objection, is that it is juvenile to make fun of people instead of discuss important issues, I believe this is equivalent.
    Call me crazy, but isn't the job of comedians to make jokes about things?
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 20:18
    @kazetnagorra said
    Call me crazy, but isn't the job of comedians to make jokes about things?
    It is no different then Whoodey making his jokes.
  7. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 06:00
    @quackquack said
    Well, there is a difference.
    Colbert is hilarious... Whodey isn’t.
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 14:46
    @quackquack said
    Name calling is endemic across the entire political spectrum.

But if one tries to explain human existence by waving a Bible in the air, they should expect to receive more than their quota.

You think ?
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 14:48
    @shavixmir said
    Well, there is a difference.
    Colbert is hilarious... Whodey isn’t.
    Actually, Whodey is funny.
    The distinction ?

Colbert is funny on purpose.
    Whodey is funny by accident. 😆
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 15:13
    @mchill said
    Though both left and right wing supporters engage in childish name calling, I've noticed this is far more common among conservatives, Trump supporters are especially prone to this. Libtards, Commies, Dims etc. are common. When John Kerry was running for President he was known as Lurch (some republicans didn't know his real name) Hillary Clinton was given a few unsavoury names ...[text shortened]... the Trump supporters as well. Why is this childish, schoolyard habit so popular among Conservatives?
    I read an article recently that said people perceive name callers as alpha males. That was her theory as to why people found Trump appealing. It is kind of like a dominant gorilla pounding on his chest.
    It is a primitive trait in humans and has nothing to do with the USA. Kazet is prone to primitive stereotyping.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 23:52
    @quackquack said
    But whodey's jokes come laced with malice. It's the main reason he's not funny.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 23:55
    @metal-brain said
    I read an article recently that said people perceive name callers as alpha males. That was her theory as to why people found Trump appealing. It is kind of like a dominant gorilla pounding on his chest.
    It is a primitive trait in humans and has nothing to do with the USA. Kazet is prone to primitive stereotyping.
    You're the one comparing Republicans to gorillas.

Totally spot on, but that is beside the point.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 01:52
    @suzianne said
    You're the one comparing Republicans to gorillas.

Totally spot on, but that is beside the point.
    No, I compared people with gorillas.
  14. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 02:21
    @mchill said
    If you were to take a look at how the media treats the sitting President, you could conclude that this trait is exceedingly common among the left wing...

anticipated response
    But it's true! The President is STOOOPID!

Then we are back at square one where everyone else's poop smells except my own.

I just would not bother thinking about what the lowest common denominator is saying unless you really feel like your station in life is discussing things with the lowest common denominator.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 02:49
    @mghrn55 said
    Actually, Whodey is funny.
    The distinction ?
    People laugh with Colbert not at him.