Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 31 Mar '10 18:48
    Canada is not the only place where conservative illuminatos attract angry mobs, as Karl Rove found out on a stop in his book tour in Beverly Hills, Calif. Rove's talk on his new book about his tenure in the Bush administration was disrupted by Code Pink.

Karl Rove had an audience of a hundred mainly attentive people at the Saban Theater in Beverly Hills where he planned to discuss his memoirs, "Courage and Consequences: My Life As a Conservative In The Fight", followed by a book signing.

Then a hand full of Code Pink women showed up, all festooned in their signature colors, carrying handcuffs with which to make a "citizen's arrest" of the former Bush adviser for "war crimes."

After a lengthy period of yelling and screaming, Rove was obliged to cut short his talk, leaving before the book signing. The audience was somewhat disappointed at having their evening ruined by the Code Pink people.

There are some takeaways.

First, it seems that there are some people who will never let the Iraq War go. With the Coalition forces triumphant and democracy fully ensconced in an Arab country, with all that implies, the Code Pink harridans are still angry and want blood. One suspects that 20 years from now, when no doubt cruise lines will be taking tourists up and down the Euphrates River, Code Pink and its fellow travelers will still be attacking former Bush administration officials.

Second, the question arises, what was Karl Rove thinking of showing up in a place like Beverly Hills without security. Rove is a tough guy and, for a while, held his own against the Code Pink harpies, but should not have had to do so. A nod to a couple of tough, burly off duty cops should have sufficed to hustle the Code Pink women away from the stage and allow Rove to continue with what he had to say.

[b]Finally the Code Pink assault on Karl Rove was another example of the growing fascist character of the Left. The silly street theater with the handcuffs may pump up the Code Pink women, but is annoying to everyone else.[b]
  2. 31 Mar '10 18:55
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Canada is not the only place where conservative illuminatos attract angry mobs, as Karl Rove found out on a stop in his book tour in Beverly Hills, Calif. Rove's talk on his new book about his tenure in the Bush administration was disrupted by Code Pink.

Karl Rove had an audience of a hundred mainly attentive people at the Saban Theater ...[text shortened]... the handcuffs may pump up the Code Pink women, but is annoying to everyone else.[/i][b]
    Didn't annoy me. What annoys me is war criminals walking around free.
  3. 31 Mar '10 19:00

Karl Rove had an audience of a hundred mainly attentive people at the Saban Theater ...[text shortened]... the handcuffs may pump up the Code Pink women, but is annoying to everyone else.[/i][b]
    Finally the Code Pink assault on Karl Rove was another example of the growing fascist character of the Left. The silly street theater with the handcuffs may pump up the Code Pink women, but is annoying to everyone else.

Its obvious these are stupid people, but I wouldn't go as far as saying there is a "growing fascist character" on the left. It makes no sense.
  4. 31 Mar '10 19:03
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Didn't annoy me. What annoys me is war criminals walking around free.
    What annoys me is war criminals walking around free.

yeah right.
  5. 31 Mar '10 19:05 / 1 edit

Karl Rove had an audience of a hundred mainly attentive people at the Saban Theater the handcuffs may pump up the Code Pink women, but is annoying to everyone else.[/i]
    Code Pink protested Nancy Pelosi. Freaking Nancy Pelosi and the group has repeatedly been slammed by the Liberal, satirical comedy, the Daily Show.

Nice try with labeling them a "left wing" movement though.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Mar '10 19:09 / 1 edit
    [/b]Canada is not the only place where conservative illuminatos attract angry mobs, as Karl Rove found out on a stop in his book tour in Beverly Hills, Calif. Rove's talk on his new book about his tenure in the Bush administration was disrupted by Code Pink.

Karl Rove had an audience of a hundred mainly attentive people at the Saban Theater the handcuffs may pump up the Code Pink women, but is annoying to everyone else.[/i]
    LMAO! You really think that the occupation of Iraq accomplished what the neo-cons wanted? Guess again; the US corporations that were supposed to run the Iraqi economy were tossed out and/or fled. The group that gained the most in the recent election was the political wing of the Mahdi Army and Sadr is now the kingmaker in Iraq. Every single political party ran on a platform of getting all (that's ALL) US troops out as soon as the military agreement runs out in 2012 (if not sooner).

So you're not going to get your pro-Western, Israel friendly, US military base in the Middle East after all. Was that worth hundreds of thousands of lives and something like $3 trillion?

Karl Rove should be thankful he's not swinging from a gallows rather than whining about his supposed ill-treatment from a group of patriotic Americans.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Mar '10 19:18
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Code Pink protested Nancy Pelosi. Freaking Nancy Pelosi and the group has repeatedly been slammed by the Liberal, satirical comedy, the Daily Show.

It's too bad that so-called members of the "left wing" are afraid to embrace their basic philosophy:

CODEPINK is a women-led and women-initiated grassroots peace and social justice movement dedicated to stopping the war in Iraq, preventing future wars and redirecting our country's resources into life-affirming activities: education, health care, veteran's benefits and social services.

http://www.codepink4peace.org/section.php?id=207
  8. 31 Mar '10 19:26

are you saying they're not left-wing simply because the daily show made fun of them? seriously?
  9. 31 Mar '10 21:54
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    are you saying they're not left-wing simply because the daily show made fun of them? seriously?
    Who cares what "wing" they are. What they say makes sense now and made sense when the criminals of the Bush administration plunged us into a war of aggression for no intelligent reasons. At a cost of 3 trillion dollars that we could ill-afford to waste I can't understand why all these chicken-littles predicting the health insurance bill will bankrupt us aren't chasing Bush, Rove, Cheney and all their tiny minions thru the streets with torches and pitchforks. Maybe they don't really care about the deficit and our future?
  10. 31 Mar '10 23:00
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's too bad that so-called members of the "left wing" are afraid to embrace their basic philosophy:

CODEPINK is a women-led and women-initiated grassroots peace and social justice movement dedicated to stopping the war in Iraq, preventing future wars and redirecting our country's resources into life-affirming activities: education, healt ...[text shortened]... eteran's benefits and social services.

http://www.codepink4peace.org/section.php?id=207
    Ah, I see the misunderstanding. To understand basic left-wing philosophies you rely on GOP talking heads. Instead you should be asking left-wingers, like me.

It is not pacifism and Code Pink's extremist antics are not consistent with Democratic values, nor is any of the nutty rhetoric that comes out of their mouth. Who cares what they have typed on their website?
  11. 31 Mar '10 23:04 / 1 edit
    I brought up the Daily Show and Nancy Pelosi (the most prominent far lefty there is) mere examples to show that Code Pink is at odds with everyone, including the left.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    31 Mar '10 23:37
    They aren't "the left". They may be leftist but they don't represent leftists.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    01 Apr '10 00:20 / 1 edit
    Ah, I see the misunderstanding. To understand basic left-wing philosophies you rely on GOP talking heads. Instead you should be asking left-wingers, like me.

It is not pacifism and Code Pink's extremist antics are not consistent with Democratic values, nor is any of the nutty rhetoric that comes out of their mouth. Who cares what they have typed on their website?
    You're a complete imbecile who fairly obviously doesn't have the slightest clue what being on the left means.

"Extremist antics" were part of the civil rights and anti-war movements; CodePink's actions are tame compared to the widespread civil disobedience of both these classical American Left movements. And if you consider a wish to move the US away from militarist adventures to taking care of the needs of its citizenry as "nutty rhetoric", then you have no business claiming you are anywhere near a leftist. I care more about what CodePink types on its website than what a jerk like you does on this one; at least they are actually doing something to fight for social justice and change while you seem to hold those who do so in contempt.
  14. 01 Apr '10 01:44
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You're a complete imbecile who fairly obviously doesn't have the slightest clue what being on the left means.

"Extremist antics" were part of the civil rights and anti-war movements; CodePink's actions are tame compared to the widespread civil disobedience of both these classical American Left movements. And if you consider a wish to m ...[text shortened]... o fight for social justice and change while you seem to hold those who do so in contempt.

Oh, well since you lent yourself to a childish ad hominem you suddenly sound much more credible. Of course, I'm being sarcastic.

"Extremist antics" were part of the civil rights and anti-war movements; CodePink's actions are tame compared to the widespread civil disobedience of both these classical American Left movements.

When blacks are literally being beat by police officers for trying to vote that justifies a strong reaction. Typing the words, "classical American left movement" doesn't magically make it so. Very few on the left actually support Code Pink. As I said before they're even at odds with one of the furthest left politicians in one of the most liberal districts.

And if you consider a wish to move the US away from militarist adventures to taking care of the needs of its citizenry as "nutty rhetoric", then you have no business claiming you are anywhere near a leftist.

Can you copy and paste where I said "militarist adventures to taking care of the needs of its citizenry" is extremist rhetoric? What's that? You can't? Well then here's a website to help you out.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/

I'm referring to things like, "World war II was wrong." "the Marines are war criminals" and "what's wrong with Communism?" "al-Qaeda is not a threat to the United States. and "the military specifically targets civilians"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmdrkmtkCw4

If you think the above statements represents the left you're a complete moron. And you actually believe Code Pink accomplishes anything? Tell me, what have they accomplished besides offering up fodder for the right? Anything?
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    01 Apr '10 01:52 / 2 edits
    [b]You're a complete imbecile who fairly obviously doesn't have the slightest clue what being on the left means.

Oh, well since you lent yourself to a childish ad hominem you suddenly sound much more credible. Of course, I'm being sarcastic.

[/b]"Extremist antics" were part of the civil rights and anti-war movements; CodePink's actions a ey accomplished besides offering up fodder for the right? Anything?[/b]
    Oh, blacks being beat by police officers justifies a strong reaction, but invading and occupying a couple of other countries and killing tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands, gets a "ho hum"?

What an idiot you are. Maybe you should actually read the material on CodePink's website rather than getting your information from SFCollege Republicans.