Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Dec '17 17:48 / 1 edit
    After the Korean War cease fire the DPRK has always wanted a peace treaty to end the war. The USA has always refused a peace treaty which is why both nations are technically still at war.

The DPRK has been testing nuclear bombs and missiles in an effort to bring the USA to the table to negotiate a peace treaty since they had no desire for peace before those tests.

Ther DPRK has made it clear that all the USA has to do is stop the joint military drills with SK right next to the DPRK border and all nuclear and missile tests will end. Instead the USA has been doing everything possible to derail peace talks so no peace treaty will be signed.

It really does look like the DPRK wants peace and the USA wants war despite the USA propaganda indicating otherwise. Most people think the DPRK is the problem only because they don't know both sides of the story.
  2. 08 Dec '17 17:58
    Well we see what happens to countries like Libya who surrender their WMD program.
  3. 08 Dec '17 18:04
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Well we see what happens to countries like Libya who surrender their WMD program.
    That is exactly why the DPRK would be stupid to give up nuclear weapons. Anybody who seriously thinks the DPRK will give up their nukes is incredibly stupid! It would be like saying Gadaffi liked being killed.
  4. 08 Dec '17 18:21
    Maybe Rocketman should start a foundation

Nukes for peace.

How much will you give?
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    08 Dec '17 18:24 / 1 edit
    I wonder what the U.S.'s reason for continuing drills at the border is. I can only guess because that's where the DMZ is located, and should be neutral territory.

However, if drills can indeed be located further away from the NK border, the U.S. should oblige. However, this isn't always easy, as it might involve moving multiple military vessels and equipment hundreds of miles. Still, NK has a right to not have to worry about military drills.
  6. 08 Dec '17 18:54
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I wonder what the U.S.'s reason for continuing drills at the border is. I can only guess because that's where the DMZ is located, and should be neutral territory.

However, if drills can indeed be located further away from the NK border, the U.S. should oblige. However, this isn't always easy, as it might involve moving multiple military vessels and equipment hundreds of miles. Still, NK has a right to not have to worry about military drills.
    What about firing missiles off the coast of Japan?

Which is more concerning?
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    08 Dec '17 19:07

NK's actions are a response to U.S. military drills.
  8. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    10 Dec '17 11:38 / 2 edits

Implicating these co-sponsored SK/US "drills" (they are called "exercises", just like the ones NATO used to run every year) as being "at the border" is not entirely accurate. The navies of the two nations are involved in the exercises as well as the air forces of the two nations, not only the armies. The exercises mainly involve positioning, deployment and tactical training, and so only a portion of the exercises are conducted "at the border". Due to the large area involved, yes, the majority of these exercises are already "located further away from the NK border". The purpose of these exercises is containment of invasion forces FROM NK, not deploying an invasion force TO NK, and so defense of population centers is also a factor. The overall purpose of all co-sponsored exercises is maintaining a readyness posture.

And yes, the DMZ IS "neutral territory", as specified in the name.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Dec '17 14:24 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Implicating these co-sponsored SK/US "drills" (they are called "exercises", just like the ones NATO used to run every year) as being "at the border" is not entirely accurate. The navies of the two nations are involved in the exercises as well as the air forces of the two nations, not only the armies. The exercises mainly involve positioning, deployment a ...[text shortened]... ining a readyness posture.

And yes, the DMZ IS "neutral territory", as specified in the name.
    Your post is reasonable. I just try to look things both sides. NK has a terrible history with the U.S., including having bombs dropped on them and crippling sanctions enacted. I don't condone Kim's actions, but I can see why he thinks how he does.

Here's a great piece by Samantha Bee on this:

YouTube
  10. 10 Dec '17 15:30

Lets correct this before it goes too far. The US and S Korea are not conducting anything AT THE BORDER!
  11. 10 Dec '17 15:44
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    After the Korean War cease fire the DPRK has always wanted a peace treaty to end the war. The USA has always refused a peace treaty which is why both nations are technically still at war.

The DPRK has been testing nuclear bombs and missiles in an effort to bring the USA to the table to negotiate a peace treaty since they had no desire for peace befor ...[text shortened]... Most people think the DPRK is the problem only because they don't know both sides of the story.
    Time for the conspiracy file.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the powers that be only are focused on population control.

YouTube : populationcontrol

Could it be that they have created killing fields in places like the Middle East to do just that?

Could NK be another angle for them to use?
  12. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Dec '17 15:49
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Lets correct this before it goes too far. The US and S Korea are not conducting anything AT THE BORDER!
    "The US and S Korea are not conducting anything AT THE BORDER!"

That's not accurate. But you're right that Kim is going too far.
  13. 10 Dec '17 15:52
    "The US and S Korea are not conducting anything AT THE BORDER!"

That's not accurate. But you're right that Kim is going too far.
    OK, provide your proof of US S Korea conducting exercises AT THE BORDER.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Dec '17 16:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    OK, provide your proof of US S Korea conducting exercises AT THE BORDER.
    The drills are done close to the border. They don't have to be done "at the border" exactly.
  15. 10 Dec '17 16:25
    The drills are done close to the border. They don't have to be done "at the border" exactly.
    Location makes all the difference when making the claim "US violated demilitarized zone"!