Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Aug '09 08:28
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/iconochasms

Here's a neat little quiz you can take to test your knowledge about high-profile political figures. Some embarassing surprises in there.
  2. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    18 Aug '09 09:49 / 1 edit
    Hohoho, nice finding...

When the Know-Nothings get control, it [the Declaration of Independence] will read: "All men are created equal except negroes, foreigners and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy ? (Abe Lincoln)

"Now-nothings", lulz. Now we have a name for some of the right wingers polluting this forum
  3. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 09:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

Here's a neat little quiz you can take to test your knowledge about high-profile political figures. Some embarassing surprises in there.
    A few inconvenient truths, to be sure.
  4. 18 Aug '09 09:58
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    A few inconvenient truths, to be sure.
    Yes, that one gave me a chuckle too.
  5. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 10:29
    Yes, that one gave me a chuckle too.
    Eisenhower impresses; Truman could have been Himmler under different circumstances; the less said of Ghandi, the better.
  6. 18 Aug '09 11:42
    Eisenhower impresses; Truman could have been Himmler under different circumstances; the less said of Ghandi, the better.
    It has always fascinated me that Hitler resembles most PETA card toting members vastly more than anyone on the right! I was disappointed that it had nothing about Nappy's tiny little piston, which led him to try and ram up Europe's bum!
  7. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 11:45
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    It has always fascinated me that Hitler resembles most PETA card toting members vastly more than anyone on the right! I was disappointed that it had nothing about Nappy's tiny little piston, which led him to try and ram up Europe's bum!
    I don't know, Himmler's fascination with the occult is not so different from GWB's dispensationalism, with all those coded references built into his speeches for the benefit of the faithful. Chalk & cheese in terms of style, of course, but both dangerous lunatics.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 12:51 / 2 edits

That test is not "about high profile political figures." It's about how well a group of people with a clear agenda were able to cherry pick quotes. Politcians say lots and lots of things over a career and their bound to say some that sound mean or absurd or harsh at one point or another. Many of these were probably said tongue in cheek or in anger or frustration.

As we discussed ad nauseum earlier, that site deliberately words its content to make the "liberal" side of positions sound more reasonable and the conservative sides of positions be more broad and more extreme than they really are.

It's a nice site, but it's a biased one, not a neutral one.
  9. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    18 Aug '09 12:53 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Politcians say lots and lots of things over a career and their bound to say some that sound mean or absurd or harsh at one point or another.
    It's called coherence. A rare yet precious asset for any politician.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 12:59
    Originally posted by Seitse
    It's called coherence. A rare yet precious asset for any politician.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
    What are you trying to say? That a politician is incoherent if he makes one statement out of frustration or tongue in cheek that he doesn't really mean?
  11. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    18 Aug '09 13:04
    What are you trying to say? That a politician is incoherent if he makes one statement out of frustration or tongue in cheek that he doesn't really mean?
    That many politicians make a blooper doesn't make the whole species to be "bound" to do it. That some are hypocrites follows the same logic.

Check the dictionary. Coherence exists, and it is a valuable asset for politicians. Some have it, some don't.

Maybe certain holy cows you love because they are identified with your line of thinking are simply not coherent? That's o.k. You don't have to feel broken hearted for it, do you?

A small example: I admire and respect Gandhi. That doesn't mean that he was a saint. He did and said some incoherent things as well.
  12. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 13:10

A small example: I admire and respect Gandhi. That doesn't mean that he was a saint. He did and said some incoherent things as well.
    He did some unconscionable things, mainly to his family, yet he was undoubtedly what one calls a 'great man'.

Of course Ghandi is widely revered as a saint, especially by 'liberals', so quotes revealing his unflattering side actually balance the picture, much as Al Gore's hypocrisy is exposed and Eisenhower, that poster-boy of Norman Rockwell conservatism, seems very reasonable. So the knee-jerk 'it's a biased liberal site' reaction shows the objector in a poor light.
  13. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Aug '09 13:11
    That test is not "about high profile political figures." It's about how well a group of people with a clear agenda were able to cherry pick quotes. Politcians say lots and lots of things over a career and their bound to say some that sound mean or absurd or harsh at one point or another. Many of these were probably said tongue in cheek or in anger or frustratio ...[text shortened]... reme than they really are.

It's a nice site, but it's a biased one, not a neutral one.
    Have you actually read them all or did you type this with your knees?
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 13:14
    Have you actually read them all or did you type this with your knees?
    I took the political compass test 6 times and we had about 10 threads devoted to political compass a few months back.

I have no idea what you're alluding to regarding typing with my knees.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Aug '09 13:16
    That many politicians make a blooper doesn't make the whole species to be "bound" to do it. That some are hypocrites follows the same logic.

Check the dictionary. Coherence exists, and it is a valuable asset for politicians. Some have it, some don't.

Maybe certain holy cows you love because they are identified with your line of thinking are simply not ...[text shortened]... i. That doesn't mean that he was a saint. He did and said some incoherent things as well.
    Ah okay.

So you're saying that just because I like a politician doesn't mean he can't have also said something stupid at one point or another.

I agree.

By the same token, just because he's said one harsh thing does not mean he was a mean or bad politician.