Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 11 Mar '14 11:04
    It seems that political rhetoric seems to be focusing more and more on the Koch brothers. As many here know, they are rich and they support conservative ideals. As a result, they often put their money where their mouths are politically. But now that there is no more "W" to blame. Now that House Republicans like Boehner have waved the white flag and stop being "obstructionists" and cave every time a debt ceiling vote comes up, who do they have to blame for the world's problems?

    As a result, I'm convinced that we will be seeing more and more of this. With liberal democrats in full control of government, who is there left to blame for the country's problems? You guessed it, private citizens like the Koch brothers. It sure beats the hell out of being accountable to the voters.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    11 Mar '14 14:07
    These Koch brothers are bad guys.
  3. 11 Mar '14 14:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    These Koch brothers are bad guys.
    Kock brothers bad, ATY good.

    Thanks for that.
  4. 11 Mar '14 15:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    It seems that political rhetoric seems to be focusing more and more on the Koch brothers. As many here know, they are rich and they support conservative ideals. As a result, they often put their money where their mouths are politically. But now that there is no more "W" to blame. Now that House Republicans like Boehner have waved the white flag and stop b ...[text shortened]... citizens like the Koch brothers. It sure beats the hell out of being accountable to the voters.
    '... accountable to the voters."

    Repeat as needed: Politicians of all persuasions are accountable to their own versions of the Koch brothers, who influence who gets to vote and how they vote.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    12 Mar '14 01:33 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    It seems that political rhetoric seems to be focusing more and more on the Koch brothers. As many here know, they are rich and they support conservative ideals. As a result, they often put their money where their mouths are politically. But now that there is no more "W" to blame. Now that House Republicans like Boehner have waved the white flag and stop b ...[text shortened]... citizens like the Koch brothers. It sure beats the hell out of being accountable to the voters.
    Yes I know. Obama and those evil socialist liberals are to blame for everything, and the Koch Brothers (Net worth 25 billion) are poor, perscuted saints, who are humbly trying to scratch out a simple living in this barren godless wasteland called America. While we're at it let's not forget to break out our hankies and cry another river for those poor christian conservative lawmakers, who've been beaten into submission by those same horrible liberals. Mitch McConnell (Net worth: 17 million) John Boehner (Net worth: 1.7 million) Darrell Issa (Net worth: 160 million) Michael McCaul (Net worth: 23 million) etc. all these poor, persecuted christians are trying to do is represent the pillars of America. i.e. Conaco Phillips (98 billion), Phillip Morris (100 billion), Goldman Sachs (45 billion). Phizer Pharmacuticals (67 billion) JP Morgan Chase (170 billion) What's going to become of these poor souls? How much more can they take? I tell you...life is simply unbearable!!(Excuse me while I puke)
  6. 12 Mar '14 02:27
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yes I know. Obama and those evil socialist liberals are to blame for everything, and the Koch Brothers (Net worth 25 billion) are poor, perscuted saints, who are humbly trying to scratch out a simple living in this barren godless wasteland called America. While we're at it let's not forget to break out our hankies and cry another river for those poor christi ...[text shortened]... How much more can they take? I tell you...life is simply unbearable!!(Excuse me while I puke)
    Check a few of those corporation with high net worth, and determine the debt that supports them. A lot of them are debt zombies, barely earning enough to pay the debt service, basically the situation which lead to bankruptcy of GM and Chrysler.

    By the way, some of the wealthiest politicians are in fact liberal Democrats. I'll let you find the names yourself.
  7. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    12 Mar '14 08:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Check a few of those corporation with high net worth, and determine the debt that supports them. A lot of them are debt zombies, barely earning enough to pay the debt service, basically the situation which lead to bankruptcy of GM and Chrysler.

    By the way, some of the wealthiest politicians are in fact liberal Democrats. I'll let you find the names yourself.
    Yup...and some of these "debt zombie" company CEO's might acutally have to go from a 7 figure, all the way down to a six figure income as as result. I tell you, it's just not fair!! Let's all pass a collection hat for these poor persecuted saints, who've had to endure this "hell on earth!!" :'(:'(:'(
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Mar '14 13:24
    The fat faced, smoke-wreathed corporate boogeyman in the three piece $2,000 suit in the leather chair at the head of the mahogany conference table is always a convenient scapegoat for those obsessed with the idea that all social and fiscal inequalities can be legislated away.
  9. 12 Mar '14 13:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    The fat faced, smoke-wreathed corporate boogeyman in the three piece $2,000 suit in the leather chair at the head of the mahogany conference table is always a convenient scapegoat for those obsessed with the idea that all social and fiscal inequalities can be legislated away.
    I can't match your skill with adjectives but I am sure the hard working patriotic businessman keeping this country going in the right direction sees the long-haired hippy tax-and-spend-obsessed commie pinko do-gooder picketing his establishment the same way.
  10. 12 Mar '14 15:52
    Originally posted by bill718
    Yes I know. Obama and those evil socialist liberals are to blame for everything, and the Koch Brothers (Net worth 25 billion) are poor, perscuted saints, who are humbly trying to scratch out a simple living in this barren godless wasteland called America. While we're at it let's not forget to break out our hankies and cry another river for those poor christi ...[text shortened]... How much more can they take? I tell you...life is simply unbearable!!(Excuse me while I puke)
    If you're going to try satire, at least make some connection to the issue being discussed.

    In a nutshell, there was an assertion that the democrats are going to try to blame the Koch brothers and/or other private entities for everything.

    You responded by making a satirical rant that may support the claim that the democrats don't yet have absolute power.

    Are you trying to argue that

    1. The democrats aren't going to try to blame the Koch brothers/rich for everything? If so, this satire doesn't support that argument.

    Or

    2. The Koch brothers, or the wealthy in general are to blame for everything? If so, this satire doesn't support that argument either.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Mar '14 16:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    I can't match your skill with adjectives but I am sure the hard working patriotic businessman keeping this country going in the right direction sees the long-haired hippy tax-and-spend-obsessed commie pinko do-gooder picketing his establishment the same way.
    Perhaps, but in this case, we're talking about specific people that are targeted mainly because of their political ideology. When a thread arises to discuss any specific long-haired hippy tax-and-spend-obsessed commie pinko do-gooder, then your post will be apropos.
  12. 12 Mar '14 16:38 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Perhaps, but in this case, we're talking about specific people that are targeted mainly because of their political ideology. When a thread arises to discuss any specific long-haired hippy tax-and-spend-obsessed commie pinko do-gooder, then your post will be apropos.
    So progressives are not yet targeted, eh? Just mentioned by you in passing, to opine on their view of the Koch-types. I elevated them to caricatures akin to that of the Kochs. Fairly gentle ribbing all around.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Mar '14 18:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    So progressives are not yet targeted, eh? Just mentioned by you in passing, to opine on their view of the Koch-types. I elevated them to caricatures akin to that of the Kochs. Fairly gentle ribbing all around.
    Indeed.

    As a matter of general principle, I have no more bone to pick with left wing nuts than I do with right wing nuts. In fact, I'd concede that right wing nuts are generally more dangerous than left wing nuts.

    What I can't stand from all quarters is boogeyman politics. I have equal disdain (see, I'm learning from the Duchess) for right wing targeting of socialist ghosts to scare their sheep into submission as do I of left wing targeting of corporatist ghosts to scare their sheep into submission.
  14. 12 Mar '14 18:59
    Originally posted by sh76
    Indeed.

    As a matter of general principle, I have no more bone to pick with left wing nuts than I do with right wing nuts. In fact, I'd concede that right wing nuts are generally more dangerous than left wing nuts.

    .
    Say it isn't so. lol
  15. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    12 Mar '14 20:49
    Originally posted by sh76
    Indeed.

    As a matter of general principle, I have no more bone to pick with left wing nuts than I do with right wing nuts. In fact, I'd concede that right wing nuts are generally more dangerous than left wing nuts.

    What I can't stand from all quarters is boogeyman politics. I have equal disdain (see, I'm learning from the Duchess) for right wing targeting ...[text shortened]... ssion as do I of left wing targeting of corporatist ghosts to scare their sheep into submission.
    There might be hope for you yet!