Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Jan '10 21:16
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/01/05/2010-01-05_200m_a_year_for_terror_trial_here.html

    I know we're all desensitized to these numbers. The State Department paid $225,000 for a new toilet seat? What else is new?

    But don't you think these numbers get a little ridiculous after a while? 200 million dollars for security for a trial that will last a few months?? How much do you want to bet that a private organization competing for a contract to do the same service could do it for 1/4 that amount?
  2. Standard member Traveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    05 Jan '10 21:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/01/05/2010-01-05_200m_a_year_for_terror_trial_here.html

    I know we're all desensitized to these numbers. The State Department paid $225,000 for a new toilet seat? What else is new?

    But don't you think these numbers get a little ridiculous after a while? 200 million dollars for security for a trial that will las ...[text shortened]... organization competing for a contract to do the same service could do it for 1/4 that amount?
    My buddies and I can provide security for only 1 million. That's 1/200th. I'm sending them an
    email right now to see if they will take my offer.

    I can buy a used car down the street for $100. So why pay thousands for a new one?

    I'm not saying the State Dept's spending isn't excessive, I'm just saying that trying to argue
    about what is or isn't excessive (in just about any context) is not usually going to come to any
    conclusion. Everyone puts different values on different things. I bet security would be pretty
    high on a lot of people's values list right now.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    05 Jan '10 21:32
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    My buddies and I can provide security for only 1 million. That's 1/200th. I'm sending them an
    email right now to see if they will take my offer.

    I can buy a used car down the street for $100. So why pay thousands for a new one?

    I'm not saying the State Dept's spending isn't excessive, I'm just saying that trying to argue
    about what is or ...[text shortened]... ings. I bet security would be pretty
    high on a lot of people's values list right now.
    Fine. But 200 million dollars? That means that if you hired 1,000 people to do nothing but surround KSM and the surrounding blocks to search for suspicious activity, you could pay them each $100,000 and still have $100m left over for things like donuts and coffee for the guards.
  4. Standard member Traveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    05 Jan '10 21:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    Fine. But 200 million dollars? That means that if you hired 1,000 people to do nothing but surround KSM and the surrounding blocks to search for suspicious activity, you could pay them each $100,000 and still have $100m left over for things like donuts and coffee for the guards.
    That's why I have an application in to be one of the guards.
  5. 05 Jan '10 21:40
    That is quite excessive. Even the Yugoslavia tribunal (ICTY) has a lower annual budget.
  6. 05 Jan '10 21:59
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    My buddies and I can provide security for only 1 million. That's 1/200th. I'm sending them an
    email right now to see if they will take my offer.

    I can buy a used car down the street for $100. So why pay thousands for a new one?

    I'm not saying the State Dept's spending isn't excessive, I'm just saying that trying to argue
    about what is or ...[text shortened]... ings. I bet security would be pretty
    high on a lot of people's values list right now.
    Hey Buddy, I want in on that? I'm a good shot, but even better, crazy as a loon.
  7. 05 Jan '10 22:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/01/05/2010-01-05_200m_a_year_for_terror_trial_here.html

    I know we're all desensitized to these numbers. The State Department paid $225,000 for a new toilet seat? What else is new?

    But don't you think these numbers get a little ridiculous after a while? 200 million dollars for security for a trial that will las ...[text shortened]... organization competing for a contract to do the same service could do it for 1/4 that amount?
    My friend, I am not desensitized to the numbers. If people can't see by now, we are teetering on the edge, they have been in the woods too long.
  8. Standard member Traveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    06 Jan '10 02:16
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Hey Buddy, I want in on that? I'm a good shot, but even better, crazy as a loon.
    I'll put you on the list. Don't worry, there's plenty of $$ to go around.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Jan '10 02:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2010/01/05/2010-01-05_200m_a_year_for_terror_trial_here.html

    I know we're all desensitized to these numbers. The State Department paid $225,000 for a new toilet seat? What else is new?

    But don't you think these numbers get a little ridiculous after a while? 200 million dollars for security for a trial that will las ...[text shortened]... organization competing for a contract to do the same service could do it for 1/4 that amount?
    I'm sure Blackwater could do the same superlative job they did in Baghdad with hopefully less dead civilians.