Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 25 Apr '17 07:06 / 1 edit
    And they don't make good reading for Labour.

3 polls in the past few days have put the Tories on 48%, with 20%+ leads. To be fair, there were a couple of others. One had support at 50%.

The latest Scottish polls look like Tory support at around 30%, suggesting they could win 8-10 seats even here.

But perhaps the most amazing is Wales, where the latest poll shows the Tories winning the largest share of the vote and most seats since '59.

1859, that is.
  2. 25 Apr '17 07:39
    Originally posted by Rank outsider

3 polls in the past few days have put the Tories on 48%, with 20%+ leads. To be fair, there were a couple of others. One had support at 50%.

The latest Scottish polls look like Tory support at around 30%, suggesting they could win 8-10 seats even here.

But perhaps the most amazing is Wales, where t ...[text shortened]... ows the Tories winning the largest share of the vote and most seats since '59.

1859, that is.
    I shall relish the nats losing seats.
  3. 25 Apr '17 07:46
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    I shall relish the nats losing seats.
    Actually, I shall THOROUGHLY enjoy the nats losing seats.
  4. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    25 Apr '17 07:48

But perhaps the most amazing is Wales, where t ...[text shortened]... ows the Tories winning the largest share of the vote and most seats since '59.

1859, that is.
    It seems the Europe and America are in a more conservative mood. It will swing back the other way, it always does.
  5. 25 Apr '17 07:57
    Actually, I shall THOROUGHLY enjoy the nats losing seats.
    The interesting thing will be to see if there is a 'shy Tory' element across any or all of the country. God help Labour if there is.

In England I think not, and actually believe they may do slightly worse than polls suggest. First, you can justify a Tory vote by saying it is a vote against Corbyn. Second, you might tell a pollster you are voting Tory in the desperate hope that Labour will wake up and smell the roses.

In Scotland, however, I could still see the 'shy Tory' as being in play.
  6. 25 Apr '17 07:58
    Originally posted by mchill
    It seems the Europe and America are in a more conservative mood. It will swing back the other way, it always does.
    The conservatives are hardly right wing. UK politics is skewed to the left, whereas the US is skewed to the right. The conservatives here supported equal marriage. I can hardly see the reps doing that.
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    25 Apr '17 10:45
    The conservatives are hardly right wing. UK politics is skewed to the left, whereas the US is skewed to the right. The conservatives here supported equal marriage. I can hardly see the reps doing that.
    British tories are more to the right than European tories.

US conservatives are just completely off the map of reality.

I don't think there's a Tory shy vote in scotland.
    Obviously there's always a bit of a swing within any electorate, but the tories will not get 30% of the vote.

And the larger the tory in in Britain, the larger the chance of Scotland going for independence.
  8. 25 Apr '17 11:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by mchill
    Not until Conservatives have power and show thmselves to be the same as the liberals.

If the conservatives shut down the immigration invasion and reject globalism, they'd stay in power. As long as you have countries that continue to allow Muslim Jihadists to invade, the globalists will be rejected.
  9. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    25 Apr '17 12:21
    The interesting thing will be to see if there is a 'shy Tory' element across any or all of the country. God help Labour if there is.

In England I think not, and actually believe they may do slightly worse than polls suggest. First, you can justify a Tory vote by saying it is a vote against Corbyn. Second, you might tell a pollster you are voting ...[text shortened]... and smell the roses.

In Scotland, however, I could still see the 'shy Tory' as being in play.
    I'm not sure a Tory vote can ever be justified, especially this government. Their austerity policy has been abhorrent, how any decent human being can vote for more of the same defies belief.
  10. 25 Apr '17 13:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    British tories are more to the right than European tories.

US conservatives are just completely off the map of reality.

I don't think there's a Tory shy vote in scotland.
    Obviously there's always a bit of a swing within any electorate, but the tories will not get 30% of the vote.

And the larger the tory in in Britain, the larger the chance of Scotland going for independence.
    The latest polls show support for independence has touched 39%, down 10 points.
  11. 25 Apr '17 14:00
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I'm not sure a Tory vote can ever be justified, especially this government. Their austerity policy has been abhorrent, how any decent human being can vote for more of the same defies belief.
    What is your alternative? Jeremy Corbyn? The tories have turned around the economy from the 2008 crisis to be the best performing economy in western europe.
  12. 25 Apr '17 14:11
    You realize that if the nats don't have majority (IE thy lose seats to the tories) they can't even call a referendum, so your idea that more tories means more independence makes no sense, especially considering it would have been scots voted tory to keep the SNP out of power.
  13. 25 Apr '17 14:48 / 1 edit
    What is your alternative? Jeremy Corbyn? The tories have turned around the economy from the 2008 crisis to be the best performing economy in western europe.
    The U.K. is not "the best performing economy in Western Europe" by any stretch of the imagination, and it's certainly not going to get there through Tory policies.
  14. 25 Apr '17 14:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The U.K. is not "the best performing economy in Western Europe" by any stretch of the imagination, and it's certainly not going to get there through Tory policies.
    France and Italy are set to drop out of the G8 largest economies. Britain is set to overtake Germany in a decade and Japan in about 15 years to be the world's 4 largest economy behind the US, China and India while France will slip to 10th and Italy to 13th. Germany will slip to 6th.
  15. 25 Apr '17 14:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    All these forecasts are assuming tory power for a decade or so, as they look unassailable now. Our economy has been turned around by the tories, so what you are saying is nonsense. Margaret Thatcher stopped Britain's long economic decline from 45' to 80' and built the finance centre of the globe, London. The tories have continuously built on this, giving us a strong economy.