Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Jul '16 13:13
    http://imgur.com/a/YkDVQ

some law students from Whittier Law School (the name is real, i am not making a pun) got all sad that a law professor wore a Black Lives Matter t-shirt on campus and they had to write a letter. The professor responded.

Both the initial letter and the response are in the link, please read them.

If nothing else, at least understand this simple fact: Black Lives Matter doesn't exclude white people or any other group. There isn't a silent "only", there is a silent "too". In any other situation where such phrasing is used, there is a "too", not an "only", implicit. "We sell lottery tickets" a shop owner might put in his window. That doesn't mean he only sells lottery tickets. "Hugh Jackman enjoys pizza" a tabloid might try to pass off as news, that doesn't means Wolverine's diet is only made up of pizza because he doesn't enjoy anything else.
  2. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    19 Jul '16 03:28
    Yes, very good. The initial letter was painful to read, the professor's response a joy, independently of my agreement with his words in Part I. He detected a collection of premises the student letter was based on and responded to them with critiques. "You" is the composer of the complaining letter, "I" is the professor. My favorite premise/critique pair was the following one:

Premise: You know more about legal education than I do.
    Critique: You don't.

Part I was four pages long and covered points of rather more substance than this, but well, bathos. Posters in this and the other forums would benefit from reading his advice on writing which is what constitutes Part II of his response.

Just a thought, at the foot of the letter is a caption placed by the person who posted the letters. It reads: "1st year law school student writes a complaint about her professor having worn a Black Lives Matter T-shirt during class. The professor's response is priceless.". The letter is anonymous and purports to come from a collection of students, so I wonder about the poster's decision to use the feminine form of the possessive personal pronoun.
  3. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    19 Jul '16 06:19
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Yes, very good. The initial letter was painful to read, the professor's response a joy, independently of my agreement with his words in Part I. He detected a collection of premises the student letter was based on and responded to them with critiques. "You" is the composer of the complaining letter, "I" is the professor. My favorite premise/cri ...[text shortened]... wonder about the poster's decision to use the feminine form of the possessive personal pronoun.
    It confirms the stereotype that racism, especially miscegenation was a deep held fear held amongst white women foisted on their men, who were paranoid that once they tried black, they would never go back.