Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Sep '15 22:21
    Obama's foreign policy is to lead from behind. The US needs to step back and allow others take care of matters.

What happens when the US pulls back?

Russia and China fill the vacuum.

Way to go Obama.
  2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 04:38
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Obama's foreign policy is to lead from behind. The US needs to step back and allow others take care of matters.

Way to go Obama.
    And you solution is what? Send in the Marines? Start another war? Where is it written America must police the globe?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 11:58

Way to go Obama.
    What boggles my mind is that Russia is propping up Asad while millions of refugees head toward Europe and the US.

Why is Russia not made to take in these refugees since they are part of the problem?

Why is Obama and the UN not forcing the issue?
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 12:15
    Originally posted by bill718
    And you solution is what? Send in the Marines? Start another war? Where is it written America must police the globe?
    Good questions Bill.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 22:52
    My solution?

Wipe out ISIS and arm the Kurds. We need to wipe out Iran and prop up the Kurds as the main power in the region.

If Turkey doesn't like it, we can wipe out Turkey.

If Russia doesn't like it, we can wipe out Russia.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 22:53
    My solution?

Wipe out ISIS and arm the Kurds. We need to wipe out Iran and prop up the Kurds as the main power in the region.

In any case, this isn't the topic of the thread. The topic of the thread is to point out what happens when the US doesn't lead from the position of leadership.
  7. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:13
    My solution?

Population of Turkey: 76 million - you would wipe them out.
    Population of Iran: 79 million - you would wipe them out.
    Population of Russia: 144 million - you would wipe them out

Quite how to target ISIS and wipe them out is hard to guess. They keep replicating with recruits from around the world. They are not even restricted to Syria and Iraq so indiscriminate slaughter in that region will not suffice for your policy to work.

Most Kurds are Sunni Muslim. Is this a concern for you? Clearly many Sunni Muslims do not support ISIS. That almost certainly includes many in Syria and Iraq in areas controlled by ISIS but in the face of indiscriminate bombing by America and Russia (among others) and sectarian assault by Shia militias supported by America, ISIS can often appear the least worst of a nasty choice. Turkey, of course, is now bombing both ISIS and the Kurds, so that is not so handy for your policy. In addition, when you wipe out Turkey you will by definition be wiping out many Kurds: bit of a policy conflict there I fear.

So thank you Elador. You have your finger on the problem I see. Almost certainly you will be supporting Trump to lead the American Taliban to victory.
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:14
    In any case, this isn't the topic of the thread. The topic of the thread is to point out what happens when the US doesn't lead from the position of leadership.
    Elador - you illustrate very well what leadership would look like. You are an example to us all.
  9. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:15
    You could argue that the current mess in the middle East is as a result of strong but badly thought out American 'leadership' in the past.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:16
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Population of Turkey: 76 million - you would wipe them out.
    Population of Iran: 79 million - you would wipe them out.
    Population of Russia: 144 million - you would wipe them out

Quite how to target ISIS and wipe them out is hard to guess. They keep replicating with recruits from around the world. They are not even restricted to Syria and Iraq ...[text shortened]... m I see. Almost certainly you will be supporting Trump to lead the American Taliban to victory.
    Yep, wipe them out if they don't like it.

Of course if they don't mind, then they can live. Of course I think Iran should be wiped off the face of the earth no matter what happens.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:17
    Originally posted by kmax87
    You could argue that the current mess in the middle East is as a result of strong but badly thought out American 'leadership' in the past.
    One could argue that if you wish to make Obama look better.

I have no need to blame others for Obama's mistakes.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:19
    Originally posted by kmax87
    That would be partly right.
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:22
    Yep, wipe them out if they don't like it.

Of course if they don't mind, then they can live. Of course I think Iran should be wiped off the face of the earth no matter what happens.
    If you ruled the world
    every day would be the first day of
    Armageddon.
    You are such a pointles piece of sh't
    I wonder why I bother...
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:23
    Originally posted by finnegan
    If you ruled the world
    every day would be the first day of
    Armageddon.
    You are such a pointles piece of sh't
    I wonder why I bother...
    I would never rule the world.
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    01 Oct '15 23:25
    I would never rule the world.
    There would be nothing left to rule if you had your way.

What benefits to the American people would there be in massacring millions of people in the Middle East and elsewhere? You are a very sick individual.