Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    06 Jul '11 18:57
    There has been plenty of discussion over the years concerning illegal immigration in this forum, but there usually isn't any specific identification of the citizenship status of the people who are stating their opinions.

What I would like to know in this thread is this:

How do legal immigrants feel about illegal immigrants?

I'm talking about people who have taken the necessary legal steps to enter another country for any of the usual reasons. (Citizenship, work permit, student, etc.) They have filed the applications, paid any necessary fees, waited, etc. and are now legally living in the new country. How do they feel about those who ignore the legal process and just enter illegally?

I personally am a US citizen, but this question isn't directed at just illegal immigration in the US. It could apply to any country that has problems with illegal immigration.
  2. 06 Jul '11 19:05
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    There has been plenty of discussion over the years concerning illegal immigration in this forum, but there usually isn't any specific identification of the citizenship status of the people who are stating their opinions.

What I would like to know in this thread is this:

[b]How do legal immigrants feel about illegal immigrants?

I'm talking about ...[text shortened]... gration in the US. It could apply to any country that has problems with illegal immigration.[/b]
    I was an immigrant for three years when I lived in Japan. I was, of course, there by choice and not either as a refugee or out of economic necessity. My attitude to illegal immigrants... depends on the circumstances that impel people to enter another country illegally.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Jul '11 19:06
    I worked for a wealthy couple who immigrated from Mexico and within one generation established themselves in the upper middle class.

They go to protests and such all the time defending illegal immigration.
  4. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    06 Jul '11 19:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I worked for a wealthy couple who immigrated from Mexico and within one generation established themselves in the upper middle class.

They go to protests and such all the time defending illegal immigration.
    So you're saying they legally immigrated to the US, and yet they support those who immigrate illegally?

I wonder if that is a common attitude among legal immigrants. I would think they would feel that supporting those who are here illegally would cheapen their own efforts.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    06 Jul '11 19:24
    So you're saying they legally immigrated to the US, and yet they support those who immigrate illegally?
    Yes, that is what I am saying.
  6. 06 Jul '11 19:31
    I'm going to be a legal immigrant pretty soon and I'm not particularly concerned about illegal immigration.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    06 Jul '11 19:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I'm going to be a legal immigrant pretty soon and I'm not particularly concerned about illegal immigration.
    Where are you going?
  8. 06 Jul '11 19:36
    Where are you going?
    Back to Finland.
  9. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    06 Jul '11 19:39
    That's an interesting journey. You could take car, plane or ship more or less equally looking at the map. Of course planes are faster and the roads might not be any good. IDK.
  10. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    06 Jul '11 19:41
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I was an immigrant for three years when I lived in Japan. I was, of course, there by choice and not either as a refugee or out of economic necessity. My attitude to illegal immigrants... depends on the circumstances that impel people to enter another country illegally.
    What was your immigrant status while in Japan? Student, non-resident alien, tourist, or something I haven't come up with so far? Was it a complex process to get permission, or fairly simple?

How would you feel toward some other foreigner who was in Japan for the same purposes as you, but who managed to be there illegally?

Would it not bother you that they were enjoying the same benefits, but that you had done the necessary legal process while they did not?
  11. 06 Jul '11 19:46
    It wont be fair to generalise here. Or even make assumptions on the reasons that lead people to migrate, legally or otherwise. Each case has to be viewed on its own right.

But its God's Lands, and as long as they have the right intentions, they should be free to immigrate to whatever they feel like moving to.
  12. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    06 Jul '11 20:02
    Originally posted by Peachy
    It wont be fair to generalise here. Or even make assumptions on the reasons that lead people to migrate, legally or otherwise. Each case has to be viewed on its own right.

But its God's Lands, and as long as they have the right intentions, they should be free to immigrate to whatever they feel like moving to.
    Atheist's would probably disagree with you.

As nice as your idea might be, I can't think of any nation that allows people from another country to just come on in and live as if they are a citizen of their newly adopted country. I think most of them have some sort of legal immigration process that has to be followed.
  13. 06 Jul '11 20:06
    That's an interesting journey. You could take car, plane or ship more or less equally looking at the map. Of course planes are faster and the roads might not be any good. IDK.
    Lol, well there's no reason one would take that journey using anything other than a plane.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    06 Jul '11 20:07 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Lol, well there's no reason one would take that journey using anything other than a plane.
    It's pretty and you can stop along the way.

I've taken road trips from as far as Seattle to Los Angeles.
  15. 06 Jul '11 20:07
    Atheist's would probably disagree with you.

As nice as your idea might be, I can't think of any nation that allows people from another country to just come on in and live as if they are a citizen of their newly adopted country. I think most of them have some sort of legal immigration process that has to be followed.
    Well, that depends. Finland can't stop me from migrating there because I am a EU citizen.