Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    BS. The police had no awareness of anything he had done before; they just saw a young black guy wanting to avoid them and decided to harass him. Then they arrested him on a bogus charge. Then they killed him.

Your excuses for this are disgusting. It's just "blame the victim"; no matter what his prior criminal record was he was doing nothing wrong and should have been left alone.
    Calm down. Think about this.

The cops who pursued Gray were in their rights to chase him. There's a Supreme Court ruling that allows cops to chase after suspects who run away like Gray did, provided that the area is a crime-ridden one like Baltimore. Read up on it here:

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/can-you-run-from-police-us-courts-apply-a-double-standard/

The cops didn't do anything illegal by chasing after Gray, though they were not in their rights to actually arrest him, since there was nothing to charge him with. And that's my point: had Gray not been involved in so much illegal activity, he would have had no logical reason to run from them. Gray didn't deserve to die, and the cops should be charged with a crime. It still doesn't excuse Gray from his own (previous) illegal activity, that prompted him to run out of fear of getting caught.
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:15
    Originally posted by vivify

The cops who pursued Gray were in their rights to chase him. There's a Supreme Court ruling that allows cops to chase after suspects who run away like Gray did, provided that the area is a crime-ridden one like Baltimore. Read up on it here:

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/can-you-run-from-police-us-courts-appl ...[text shortened]... rom his own (previous) illegal activity, that prompted him to run out of fear of getting caught.
    And that's my point: had Gray not been involved in so much illegal activity, he would have had no logical reason to run from them.

Maybe he was afraid of getting killed by the police like all those other black people we keep hearing about in the news.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:19
    And illegally selling cigarettes shouldn't result in a police administered death sentence (which the perps got away with scot free).
    Did you even read my post, or did you just skim through it? Because I said exactly the same thing.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:19
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    And that's my point: had Gray not been involved in so much illegal activity, he would have had no logical reason to run from them.

Maybe he was afraid of getting killed by the police like all those other black people we keep hearing about in the news.
    Cops kill black people everyday in Baltimore. They just shoot them for no reason at all.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:20

That could have merit if not for Gray's very VERY long arrest record.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:21

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/can-you-run-from-police-us-courts-appl ...[text shortened]... rom his own (previous) illegal activity, that prompted him to run out of fear of getting caught.
    I'm well aware of those misguided rulings. That the cops had the authority to bother Grey doesn't mean they should have done so. They had no actual reason to believe he had done anything wrong.

I don't blame young black males for running away from cops who are just going to harass and bother them because of policies like "stop and frisk" which are applied in a racially discriminatory manner. I blame cops for applying those policies in a racially discriminatory manner.

Grey had no fear of getting caught since he wasn't doing anything illegal - he had a well-grounded fear of being harassed by the cops because he was black in a "crime ridden" neighborhood (i.e. black neighborhood though the biggest "crime ridden" neighborhood is probably Wall Street). Your continued attempts to "blame the victim" remains deplorable and offensive.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:21
    For drugs.

I don't get arrested for drugs. I wonder why?
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:24
    Again, keep in mind that the majority of recent police brutality cases involve blacks who were either committing crimes at the time of the incident, or have a criminal history that directly factored into the case.
  9. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:24
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Cops kill black people everyday in Baltimore. They just shoot them for no reason at all.
    It's like hunting for them. Like shooting a deer.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe Mark Fuhrman has been unfairly demonized to win a court case that let a murderer of two people go free.
    Agreed that a murderer went free from that trial. Right you are there.
    But Mark Fuhrman was NOT 'unfairly demonized.' He was a rogue cop, absolutely the worst kind. The kind that does a disservice to every decent cop trying to do a very difficult job. Defending good cops is hard. Defending this guy hurts your credibility.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:252 edits
    For drugs.

I don't get arrested for drugs. I wonder why?
    Because you don't sell drugs?
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    He had no drugs on him at the time police stopped him. Apparently he had no outstanding warrants as the prosecutor said his arrest was illegal. So his running didn't have anything to do with any illegal conduct on his part.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    Because you don't sell drugs?
    😉
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:26
    Again, keep in mind that the majority of recent police brutality cases involve blacks who were either committing crimes at the time of the incident, or have a criminal history that directly factored into the case.
    They "directly factor into the case" only by your twisted "logic".
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '15 16:292 edits
    He had no drugs on him at the time police stopped him. Apparently he had no outstanding warrants as the prosecutor said his arrest was illegal. So his running didn't have anything to do with any illegal conduct on his part.
    You don't know that he wasn't doing anything illegal prior to running from the police. Common sense says that you don't just run from cops if you have nothing to hide. Remember the OJ Simpson car chase? That was a man who clearly had something to hide.