Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 05 Mar '13 15:25
    It was on TV last night, there was a program about it. I used to live near lewes and that bonfire was one of my pet hates. it is out of order.

Basically they burn effigies of the pope every year. 700 years ago some prodestants were burnt in lewes so they still keep up there stupid pope burning tradition to the present day.

One year they paraded a burning gypsy caravan through the streets and people did take notice... That should of landed someone in prison... for a month or so...

Anyway for a debate... below are 4 effigies, which are acceptable to burn at a very public bonfire?

1 The Pope?

2 A Gypsy Caravan?

3 Angela Merkel? (they did burn her, not sure why but they did)

4 Alex Salmond? (if he get independance, they will probably burn him to)

Your thoughts, when do 'traditions' become offensive?
  2. 05 Mar '13 15:36 / 2 edits
    I do not in anyway want to recomend this event. if you want burning, brightons burning of the clocks is far better. if you want a street party the notting hill carnival is ace... lewes is just sinister to my mind. but it is popular.
  3. 05 Mar '13 15:39
    Originally posted by e4chris
    It was on TV last night, there was a program about it. I used to live near lewes and that bonfire was one of my pet hates. it is out of order.

Basically they burn effigies of the pope every year. 700 years ago some prodestants were burnt in lewes so they still keep up there stupid pope burning tradition to the present day.

One year they paraded a burni ...[text shortened]... ance, they will probably burn him to)

Your thoughts, when do 'traditions' become offensive?
    All four of them are offensive right now, I find the Gypsy caravan the most offensive and disturbing, given that the others are powerful figures relative to those doing the burning.
  4. 05 Mar '13 15:43
    People should be able to burn whatever they like as long as the smoke is not causing undue disturbance.

If people don't want to take offense, then they shouldn't. Freedom of speech should never be curtailed because of people "taking offense".
  5. 05 Mar '13 15:47
    I do not in anyway want to recomend this event. if you want burning, brightons burning of the clocks is far better. if you want a street party the notting hill carnival in ace... lewes is just sinister to my mind.
    The memory of Bloody Mary remains long in the free born Englishmen, and thank god we don't want any of those Magdalen laundries here nor Goya's inquisition ,just pure English air.
  6. 05 Mar '13 15:57 / 1 edit
    I am not catholic, but I have a very catholic name, which has been the butt of many jokes... Lewes just presses my angry button... n that gypsy caravan said it all really.
  7. 05 Mar '13 15:58
    Originally posted by kaminsky
    The memory of Bloody Mary remains long in the free born Englishmen, and thank god we don't want any of those Magdalen laundries here nor Goya's inquisition ,just pure English air.
    I don't think anyone proposes banning them, but freedom of expression/speech means I am allowed to label them offensive and disturbing.
  8. 05 Mar '13 16:06
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I don't think anyone proposes banning them, but freedom of expression/speech means I am allowed to label them offensive and disturbing.
    True, but can we make an exception for Catholics , Mary Tudor was really nasty.
  9. 05 Mar '13 16:22
    True, but can we make an exception for Catholics , Mary Tudor was really nasty.
    Yeah okay, but only on November the Fifth and I want some baked potatoes.
  10. 05 Mar '13 16:26 / 4 edits
    I think there needs to be a lewes law, what is acceptable to burn.... and shame on them for needing it!

It could outlaw pope burning.... but allow for alex salmond (sorry )

They can have there Mary Tudor 'tradition' without burning the pope.
  11. 05 Mar '13 17:06
    This Lewes thing does seem a bit potty , shades of the Orange marches , the problem is Lewes annoyed Ann Widercombe and that can't be all bad.
  12. 05 Mar '13 17:29
    This Lewes thing does seem a bit potty , shades of the Orange marches , the problem is Lewes annoyed Ann Widercombe and that can't be all bad.
    Don't stress about it, pretty much everything annoys Ann Widdecomb.

I watched Her on a religious history program and She blamed the massacre of french protestants on the protestants for being protestants.
  13. 05 Mar '13 17:31
    I think there needs to be a lewes law, what is acceptable to burn.... and shame on them for needing it!

It could outlaw pope burning.... but allow for alex salmond (sorry )

They can have there Mary Tudor 'tradition' without burning the pope.
    Why do you feel "pope" burning ought to be outlawed? What if certain people revere Alex Salmond as a spiritual leader? Or pieces of timber?
  14. 05 Mar '13 17:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    No I do propose banning it , and have them whine like children, then maybe, maybe if they could come up with a half decent idea that did not involve the pope I might let them start again... they should of banned it for a year after that caravan incident.
  15. 05 Mar '13 17:43
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Why do you feel "pope" burning ought to be outlawed? What if certain people revere Alex Salmond as a spiritual leader? Or pieces of timber?
    If they burnt Muhammad they would quickly find out why its a bad idea!