Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:02
    More interesting format than normal; but less interesting moderator.

Mitt's last stand?

Let's get it on.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:08
    Romney comes out swinging and has the better opening statement. Much more specific and more effective, I thought. Plus his jokes were slightly better.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:11
    Obama pushing for lower corporate tax rates and concedes the necessity to increase fossil fuel exploitation. Plus, he gives a nod to the deficit hawks. He's playing to the middle. Smart.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:15
    Romney seems like a guy who knows he's in the 14th round and down on points. Obama has his gloves up and is waiting for the bell.

Interesting that Romney is looking right at Obama while Obama speaks while facing the moderator.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:22
    The reference to the Clinton years was well placed. Obama's people clearly think that Clinton is the way to do. Just may be correct, too.

Pot shot and Donald Trump. Nice.

The President says you can't find enough loopholes to close to make up for lower rates. That is probably not true.

Romney's line about the 3% of businesses paying the highest rate employing 1/2 the people is an excellent one.
  6. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    04 Oct '12 01:27
    "Economic patriotism" vs. " trickle down government."

That's it in a nutshell. I think I can turn it off now.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:28
    Romney will cut funding to PBS. Cute line, but these kind of cuts are a drop in the bucket.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:34
    Romney is bringing up Obama's extension of the Bush tax cut and shoving it in his face.

Romney's thing about raising revenue by cutting taxes is unrealistic, but I have to give him credit for selling a bad idea well.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:37 / 1 edit
    Obama is getting on his first roll of the day on the issue of spending cuts. This is finally the 2008 Obama.

Edit: Romney agreeing to cut tax breaks for XOM and Co. is big. I wonder if people will pick up on that.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:40 / 2 edits
    Social security:

Obama: Basic structure is sound.

huh?

Romney going after Obama on an entitlement cut. I feel like I'm through the looking glass.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:46 / 2 edits
    It's sad that you're not allowed to discuss social security. You're seemingly required by unwritten rule to ignore the fact that it's headed for insolvency in 25 years.

Romney is calling for a "public option" for seniors and is pushing for an income/assets test for Medicare. The latter is a good idea.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    04 Oct '12 01:49
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's sad that you're not allowed to discuss social security. You're seemingly required by unwritten rule to ignore the fact that it's headed for insolvency in 25 years.
    Sure and Medicare will eat up 50% of our GNP by 2080.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Sure and Medicare will eat up 50% of our GNP by 2080.
    The Social Security Administration projects that Social Security will deplete its trust fund in 2033. After that, retirees would only receive 75 percent of promised benefits without any current changes to the system.

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-romney-social-security-plans-2012-10
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Oct '12 01:53 / 1 edit
    Romney stumbles on Dodd-Frank and Obama taking advantage to attack on de-regulation. Softball for the President.

Nice rally by Romney on picking apart Dodd-Frank to salvage something on that exchange.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    04 Oct '12 01:53 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    The Social Security Administration projects that Social Security will deplete its trust fund in 2033. After that, retirees would only receive 75 percent of promised benefits without any current changes to the system.

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-romney-social-security-plans-2012-10

EDIT: From that article:

Two weeks ago while speaking via satellite to the AARP convention in Virginia, Obama revived a 2008 campaign proposal to have workers pay Social Security taxes on up to $250,000 of income. Currently, only the first $110,000 of income is taxed.

How much would that change alone reduce any projected shortfall?