Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 Jul '10 22:35
    Israel recently released aerial photos of Hezbollah military preparations in southern Lebanon. The photos showed villages being fortified and weapons and rockets being stored near and in schools and hospitals.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htinf/articles/20100717.aspx

I wonder if any concrete was used in the fortifications.
  2. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    17 Jul '10 22:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Israel recently released aerial photos of Hezbollah military preparations in southern Lebanon. The photos showed villages being fortified and weapons and rockets being stored near and in schools and hospitals.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htinf/articles/20100717.aspx

I wonder if any concrete was used in the fortifications.
    How long before Israel bombs those schools and hospitals? Sick.
  3. 17 Jul '10 22:55
    Originally posted by finnegan
    How long before Israel bombs those schools and hospitals? Sick.
    sick as in,, they are storing them there,, or sick as in Isreal bombing them,..or both?
  4. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    18 Jul '10 00:45
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    sick as in,, they are storing them there,, or sick as in Isreal bombing them,..or both?
    Both. It is not a competition. Each is separately accountable and immoral.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jul '10 16:32
    Both. It is not a competition. Each is separately accountable and immoral.
    Wouldn't you say, though, that the side that initiates civilians into a combat situation is more culpable than the side that has to deal with the reality of the citizens' role in the combat situation?
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Jul '10 16:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Wouldn't you say, though, that the side that initiates civilians into a combat situation is more culpable than the side that has to deal with the reality of the citizens' role in the combat situation?
    Different people have different ideas on who initiated what.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jul '10 16:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Different people have different ideas on who initiated what.
    I don't mean who initiated the entire conflict.

If, during an ongoing conflict, one side intentionally sets up rocket launchers next to hospitals and schools, then that side is initiating the role of the civilians in the hospitals and schools into combat.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '10 20:47

If, during an ongoing conflict, one side intentionally sets up rocket launchers next to hospitals and schools, then that side is initiating the role of the civilians in the hospitals and schools into combat.
    There is no "ongoing conflict". If Israel starts a war, they will be responsible for the death and destruction it causes. Israeli armed forces would have to push through UN peacekeeping forces in violation of the UN Charter of course, but that doesn't mean anything to fanatical justifiers of Israeli aggression like yourself.

Why Hezbollah is fortifying villages is interesting:

It has been forced to abandon the line of deeply entrenched static positions on the border with Israel and withdraw most of its men and weaponry to clusters of Shia villages.

"It's clear that Hezbollah no longer controls the border, due to the presence of Unifil [United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon] troops," said Andrew Exum, a military expert on Hezbollah at the Centre for New American Security. "They appear to be hardening the villages for this next round of fighting, while pushing their fixed positions north away from Unifil to protect the approaches to Beirut and the Bekaa Valley."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/08/hezbollah-rearms-against-israel

So Hezbollah has pulled away from the border and offers no serious threat to Israel. But hey there's a new right wing government in power in Israel which seems to want payback for the failure of Israel's 2006 war against Lebanon. So they are rattling the war drums and getting a preemptive propaganda campaign ready for their next act of aggression. Lather, rinse, repeat; this is old news for the biggest ongoing threat to peace on the planet: the State of Israel.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jul '10 22:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There is no "ongoing conflict". If Israel starts a war, they will be responsible for the death and destruction it causes. Israeli armed forces would have to push through UN peacekeeping forces in violation of the UN Charter of course, but that doesn't mean anything to fanatical justifiers of Israeli aggression like yourself.

Why Hezbolla s old news for the biggest ongoing threat to peace on the planet: the State of Israel.
    Yeah; why bother actually waiting until Israel actually does something before criticizing it? Just criticize Israel in advance for the heck of it.

In your case, it makes sense, as you've already decided that you're going to blame Israel the next time any violence between Israel and anyone erupts for any reason at any time.

I didn't justify anything in my post, of course. But a simple little fact like that wouldn't stop fanatical hatemongers like yourself.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '10 22:31 / 1 edit
    Yeah; why bother actually waiting until Israel actually does something before criticizing it? Just criticize Israel in advance for the heck of it.

In your case, it makes sense, as you've already decided that you're going to blame Israel the next time any violence between Israel and anyone erupts for any reason at any time.

I didn't justify anything in my ...[text shortened]... ourse. But a simple little fact like that wouldn't stop fanatical hatemongers like yourself.
    Maybe your reading skills are non-existent when faced with something other than Israeli propaganda, but they have already "done something". From the OP:

Israel recently released aerial photos of Hezbollah military preparations in southern Lebanon.

I think even someone like you can guess why Israel would make claims about a "military buildup" by Hezbollah even though the Israel-Lebanon border has been pretty much incident free for years. Goebbels made similar claims about the Polish military buildup in August 1939.

It's an interesting claim that someone who opposes aggressive war is a "hatemonger" just because they oppose aggressive war by a nation state that you have some ethnic affinity with. Again, such claims are not novel.
  11. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    18 Jul '10 22:32

What neat morals. Consider the possibility that in this environment the civilians are just pawns in other peoples' calculations. As you note, Hezbullah is quite prepared to place civilians in the line of fire - nothing new - knowing that the Israelis have no compunction about firing regardless. Just as in Gaza they fired rockets knowing that the civilian population would be victims of the disproportionate and irresponsible retaliation. The ordinary people of Lebanon and the ordinary Palestinians have been treated despicably for decades now. If they are not crazy they ought to be (ought to be in a medical sense!).

Israel, with American backing, has the power to defeat all its neighbours and, in the extreme, also has nuclear weapons. With that power ought to come responsibility, but instead it shields the continuing encroachment of illegal settlements, the continuing and relentless pressure to retain the Palestinians in a state of total poverty, aggravated for example by their "defensive" wall separating villages from their fields and deeply harming any potential for economic development.

Decades of negotiation have offered nothing of value to the Palestinians. Many of its best leaders or potential leaders have been assassinated by the Israelis.

I do not welcome the continuing growth of a fascist ideology in the Middle East, this is not a competition to see which side is worse. I can be opposed to both sides here - perfectly logically.

You, by contrast, seem to me to be trying to push the notion that Israel is justified because the enemies Israel has created are worse. Well Hezbullah is bad but Israel is only "democratic" the way racist apartheid South Africa was - for its own privileged groups.
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    18 Jul '10 23:31

More simply here is the con trick - who said there are two sides in this (Hezbullah and the Israeli military)? Seems to me these two sides are each treating the surrounding population as if they were herds of sheep, piles of stones, cardboard cutout childish figures in a Lowrie landscape. I find it sick that people are absent from the debate - their childhoods, their children, their modest and humane aspirations, their hard work, their achievements as people, their lives.

And I resent the OP because it is guilty of that offence more than any other.
  13. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    18 Jul '10 23:33
    More simply here is the con trick - who said there are two sides in this (Hezbullah and the Israeli military)? Seems to me these two sides are each treating the surrounding population as if they were herds of sheep, piles of stones, cardboard cutout childish figures in a Lowrie landscape. I find it sick that people are absent from the debate - their childh ...[text shortened]... , their lives.

rec'd.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    19 Jul '10 00:00 / 2 edits
    More simply here is the con trick - who said there are two sides in this (Hezbullah and the Israeli military)? Seems to me these two sides are each treating the surrounding population as if they were herds of sheep, piles of stones, cardboard cutout childish figures in a Lowrie landscape. I find it sick that people are absent from the debate - their childh ...[text shortened]... , their lives.

The Sh'ite population in Southern Lebanon overwhelming supports Hezbollah. Its militia is comprised of the male members of that population.

It is rubbish to suggest that both Hezbollah and Israel are equally contemptuous of the lives of the people of Lebanon. Hezbollah is an armed force that was created to defend the area from Israel and their Lebanese proxies and the people in that area are extremely supportive of the group. This is hardly surprising considering that Israel has invaded Lebanon 5 times since 1978 causing thousands of deaths and making refugees of hundreds of thousands of Lebanese. http://www.historyguy.com/israel-lebanon_conflict.html

EDIT: Take a gander at the map here: http://www.criticalthreats.org/lebanon/2009-lebanese-parliamentary-elections

Hezbollah and their electoral allies won every single seat in southern Lebanon in the June 2009 parliamentary elections.
  15. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    19 Jul '10 12:48

Very good post. I just think that you are greatly overstating the disrespect of Hezbollah towards their own people and understating the vast amount of support that the people of Lebanon have for Hezbollah.

The OP is just a great pile of dung and you'd be wise to ignore it.
    Questions that should be asked at this time is:

What kind of war is Hezbollah preparing for?
    What are the latest news from the Israel military front.

By the way: are there any links to these so called photos on the web?