Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    24 Jul '16 22:00
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/man-with-machete-kills-woman-in-southern-germany
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '16 22:18
    The article says:
    It was the third act of violence against civilians in Germany in 10 days.

Firstly, this implies that acts of violence against non-civilians are common place.
    Secondly, are they serious? Does Germany really only have 3 violent acts in 10 days? I want to move there now!
    Here in South Africa there are over 46 murders every single day, 350 "cases of robbery with aggravating circumstances" per day and 17 sexual offences per day.

And that's just a small fraction of the violence.

http://businesstech.co.za/news/government/99648/2015-crime-stats-for-south-africa-everything-you-need-to-know/
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Jul '16 00:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The article says:

Firstly, this implies that acts of violence against non-civilians are common place.
    Secondly, are they serious? Does Germany really only have 3 violent acts in 10 days? I want to move there now!
    Here in South Africa there are over 46 murders ever ...[text shortened]... stech.co.za/news/government/99648/2015-crime-stats-for-south-africa-everything-you-need-to-know/
    They just want to make it sound a tad more militaristic, you know: for the ratings.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jul '16 01:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead to AThousandYoung
    The article says:

Here in South Africa there are ov ...[text shortened]... stech.co.za/news/government/99648/2015-crime-stats-for-south-africa-everything-you-need-to-know/
    "I want to move there [Germany] now!"
    --Twhitehead

Not another migrant from Africa!
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jul '16 08:13
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "I want to move there [Germany] now!"
    --Twhitehead

Not another migrant from Africa!
    Don't worry, I am tall and white, they won't notice. I would probably have to learn German though.
    Here in South Africa everyone assumes I am South African whereas black Zambians get discriminated against.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jul '16 20:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Don't worry, I am tall and white, they won't notice. I would probably have to learn German though.
    Here in South Africa everyone assumes I am South African whereas black Zambians get discriminated against.
    As I recall, CalJust emigrated from Germany to South Africa (during the apartheid era).
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 15:02
    In fact we 298 murders in Germany in 2014. So on average we have less then one per day (Population about 82 Million). Most of These are in "private" circumsatnces. That is not much about them is public knowledge. Murder on the street is something we are not used to.