Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 00:59
    There is a suspicious absence of rants & bants about the recent MAGA hat incident.

Here's an article for reference:

Hollywood celebrities joined the establishment media this weekend in promoting what has amounted to a hoax campaign targeting Catholic high school students with allegations of “racism” over their encounter with a Native American man at the March for Life.
    “This is appalling. The ignorance. The gall. The disrespect. It’s shameful. And sadly on brand. When something like this isnt even surprising, it’s evidence to our place in the cycle of recreating our darker chapters. That Native American man showed incredible strength and dignity,” actor Chris Evans said.

“This is a disgrace. This is not America,” actor Ed Asner said.

Actor Michael Ian Black compared the Catholic school students to a group of white teens harassing and assaulting black civil right-era nonviolent sit-in protesters.

“horrible smug asswipe,” Rosie O’Donnell added.

However, the social-media campaign aimed at the school boys was largely misguided.

Video footage shows the Native American man walking up to the Covington students and confronting them, beating a drum in their faces. The student pictured smiling at him simply looked at him and smirked.

Moreover, the students were not propagating racist abuse, they were being victimized by it. One of the activists who confronted the group told them, “You white people go back to Europe where you came from! This is not your land!”

More at the link:
    https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2019/01/21/hollywood-meltdown-covington-race-hoax-this-is-a-disgrace-this-is-not-america/

So, what's the verdict here?
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 01:02
    @philokalia said
    There is a suspicious absence of rants & bants about the recent MAGA hat incident.

[quote]Hollywood celebrities joined the establishment media this weekend in promoting what has amounted to a hoax campaign targeting Catholic high school students with allegations of “racism” over their encounter with a Native American man at the Marc ...[text shortened]... meltdown-covington-race-hoax-this-is-a-disgrace-this-is-not-america/

I don't have to guess what your verdict is.
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 01:03
    @philokalia said

[quote]Hollywood celebrities joined the establishment media this weekend in promoting what has amounted to a hoax campaign targeting Catholic high school students with allegations of “racism” over their encounter with a Native American man at the Marc ...[text shortened]... meltdown-covington-race-hoax-this-is-a-disgrace-this-is-not-america/

The squabble was begun by some obnoxious Black Israelites and it was the Indian who got in the boy's face not the other way around.
  4. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 01:27
    @athousandyoung said
    The squabble was begun by some obnoxious Black Israelites and it was the Indian who got in the boy's face not the other way around.
    The smirking teen got into the native American's face. I watched the whole video.

The native American was, perhaps foolishly, attempting to stave off violence between the provocative neo-Israelis and the young and gullible MAGA-teens.

The teenie-boppers initially chanted and clapped along to the drum beats of the native American Vietnam War veteran. However, they became emboldened and mockingly changed the tone. The smirking boy pushed forward to block the drumming man.

Stupid kids.
  5. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 02:30
    I have to say that I think Philips isn't a bad guy here. He said he was calling out to God to bring peace... Sounds good. However, he is a lifelong political activist who travels the country making political statements, and I am sure that he was of the opinion that "MAGA hats are problematic," "White privilege," etc., and in his group there was the fellow who came up to the boys and began yelling about go back to Europe, and I imagine that changed the tone of everyoen who was there.

Sandson has since stated that he stood his ground and smiled in a way to say that he would not be provoked to violence or to anythign negative. Was his read of the situation wrong? If you think the drummer was entirely benevolent, perhaps he was a misguided sixteen year old... But there was a large crowd behind Philips, and some of them were saying explicitly racist things at them still.

Even if you think MAGA hat kid read it wrongly... He is still a sixteen year old, and his greatest crime is smiling during what he thought was a standoff.

There's also the fact that Philips maintained a grave expression, continuing in his song, instead of, say, clearly breaking into a smile, too, to match the tone that the youthful hat wearer had taken... and one would imagine that, when wantign to diffuse a situation, a smile goes a long way.

IDK. Just some thoughts for now.

I find that in these circumstances a lot of people may be more innocent than they are portrayed by the media, or more guilty, but we should try to not be too judgmental... Yet, everything is a judgment.
  6. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 03:02
    @philokalia said

tds
  7. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 03:04
    @wolfe63 said
    The smirking teen got into the native American's face. I watched the whole video.

The native American was, perhaps foolishly, attempting to stave off violence between the provocative neo-Israelis and the young and gullible MAGA-teens.

The teenie-boppers initially chanted and clapped along to the drum beats of the native American Vietnam War veteran. However, they becam ...[text shortened]... ckingly changed the tone. The smirking boy pushed forward to block the drumming man.

Stupid kids.
    I hope that's sarc
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 11:34
    @philokalia said

most people are too tired to just give little maga turds the attention they crave.

I did see more about the dignity with which that vietnam vet dealt with this annoyance. That's a nice change.

People need to realize these asholes are the minority. These asholes hold power because you give them power, either by giving them publicity or staying home and not voting.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 14:044 edits
    @philokalia said

These kids are the embodiment of evil in America.

Here is a Left wing handy dandy Evil list:

1. White. Check

2. Full of testosterone. Check.

3. Catholics. (i.e. believe in God) Check.

4. Trump supporters. Maga check!

Yes, these kids no doubt wish to use their, assumed exemplary privileged education, to get a really good paying job someday. No doubt, they want to use this money to do things like buy houses and get married,, heterosexual marriage of course. Then they will put the icing on the cake by having children, yes carbon producing children! Then these "children", or as I like to call them, "walking carbofetus'", will grow up and want to give their children the same kind of privileged opportunities so that their children are just as happy.

Makes me want to puke my guts out, how about you?
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 17:30
    @philokalia said

I’ve never heard of the incident.

Someone was playing drums and someone didn’t like it? Is that the summary?
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 18:47
    @whodey said

1. White. Check

Yes, these kids no doubt wish to use their, assumed exemplary privileged education, to get a really good paying job someday. No doubt ...[text shortened]... ities so that their children are just as happy.

The MAGA hats didn't help.
    The smirk didn't help either.
    There can be a healthy debate over how the agitation got started.
    But the stupid red caps glorifying the moron in the White House was the canister of gasoline just sitting there waiting for someone to throw a lit match at.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 19:49
    @whodey said

1. White. Check

Yes, these kids no doubt wish to use their, assumed exemplary privileged education, to get a really good paying job someday. No doubt ...[text shortened]... ities so that their children are just as happy.

whodey, the master of hyperbole.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    22 Jan '19 20:21
    Predictably, President Trump has expressed his support for the white students
    who apparently mocked a native American ('Indian' ).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/22/donald-trump-defends-students-native-american-confrontation

"Donald Trump defends students over confrontation with Native American"
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 03:162 edits
    @shavixmir said
    I’ve never heard of the incident.

Someone was playing drums and someone didn’t like it? Is that the summary?
    In other clips you saw a group of "Black Hebrews", whatever the hell they are, run around cursing at these teenagers and provoking them. Then this Indian runs up and start drumming in front of the youngster as he just stands their smiling, like WTH?

Yes, welcome to Washington DC kids, home of the sociopathic insane.

But that is the Left. They are profane, unruly, hate filled, and have no qualms destroying the lives of kids like we saw in the video.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 22:41
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/23/how-conservative-media-transformed-the-covington-catholic-students-from-pariahs-to-heroes

"How conservative media transformed the Covington Catholic students from pariahs to heroes
    Conservatives have realized they can construct a parallel reality and have it accepted."

"As of Wednesday, as a result of these well-worn tactics, liberal media has almost
    completely backed away from their initial, justified take on the story.
    When will we ever learn?"