Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 19 Jul '14 06:24
    Words that reflect my feelings:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/18/arundhati-roy-accuses-mahatma-gandhi-discrimination
  2. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    19 Jul '14 09:16
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jul/18/arundhati-roy-accuses-mahatma-gandhi-discrimination
    I remember his dad goosey goosey
  3. 19 Jul '14 10:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall

To my mind its unfounded because Gandhi did what he could, he led by example and he could of course not obliterate the caste system overnight because its enshrined in Hinduism itself and yet his legacy lives because there are not a few Indian films which are hugely culturally significant and which express unlike their western counterparts moral values against the caste system.
  4. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    19 Jul '14 11:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    To my mind its unfounded because Gandhi did what he could, he led by example and he could of course not obliterate the caste system overnight because its enshrined in Hinduism itself and yet his legacy lives because there are not a few Indian films which are hugely culturally significant and which express unlike their western counterparts moral values against the caste system.
    what I have read over the years is he was a man with both good and evil in him and sometimes the dark side won.
  5. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    19 Jul '14 18:19
    Originally posted by redbadger
    what I have read over the years is he was a man with both good and evil in him and sometimes the dark side won.
    When you say, "the dark side", you are ,of course, referring to the 12 anal explosions he forced upon himself every day, are you not? Just wond'rin!

GRANNY.
  6. 19 Jul '14 18:52
    Are you suggesting Ghandi needed Jesus to save him?

I think the world has judged him to be righteous enough to enter heavens gates on his own merits.
  7. 19 Jul '14 19:10
    From an article about him:
    "Gandhi focused his attention on Indians while in South Africa and opposed the idea that Indians should be treated at the same level as native Africans while in South Africa.[38][39][40] He also stated that he believed "that the white race of South Africa should be the predominating race."[

He indeed was a wise man.
  8. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    19 Jul '14 20:03 / 1 edit
    You think George Lucas based Darth Vader on Gandhi?
  9. 19 Jul '14 22:12
    Originally posted by DeepThought to redbadger
    You think George Lucas based Darth Vader on Gandhi?
    If he did, then wasn't Darth Vader rather overdressed?
  10. 19 Jul '14 22:39
    LOL, we should not kid ourselves! the caste system is alive and well in every state where aristocracy exists, if its not on a hereditary level its on an economic level.
  11. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    20 Jul '14 09:42
    Originally posted by smw6869
    When you say, "the dark side", you are ,of course, referring to the 12 anal explosions he forced upon himself every day, are you not? Just wond'rin!

GRANNY.
    yes he enjoyed bum fun/and sex with 12 year old girls.
  12. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    20 Jul '14 09:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are you suggesting Ghandi needed Jesus to save him?

I think the world has judged him to be righteous enough to enter heavens gates on his own merits.
    how do you know that? next you will tell me JFK was a good man.
  13. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    20 Jul '14 09:45
    Originally posted by Krod Mandoon
    From an article about him:
    "Gandhi focused his attention on Indians while in South Africa and opposed the idea that Indians should be treated at the same level as native Africans while in South Africa.[38][39][40] He also stated that he believed "that the white race of South Africa should be the predominating race."[

He indeed was a wise man.
    from the book of right on
  14. 20 Jul '14 12:24 / 1 edit
    how do you know that? next you will tell me JFK was a good man.
    I'm not saying that Ghandi was "good". I merely stating that the world views him as a secular saint, much like they do JFK.
  15. 24 Jul '14 02:24
    Originally posted by whodey TO redbager
    I'm not saying that Ghandi was "good". I merely stating that the world views him as a secular saint, much like they do JFK.
    "I merely stated the world views him (Gandhi) as a secular saint..."
    --Whodey

While many people perceive Gandhi as a saint, few people perceive him as 'secular'.
    Gandhi has renown and appeal as a *spiritual* rather than a *secular* figure.

"...a secular saint, much like they do JFK."
    --Whodey

While JFK's perceived as secular, few people today would perceive him as a saint.
    Gandhi and JFK were not closely comparable in how they indulged their desires.
    Would Mimi Beardsley (a 19 year old intern in JFK's White House) have
    rather spent her first night of intimacy in the bed of JFK or Gandhi?