Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    04 Nov '11 21:13
    What are the best ways to make this central-south landlocked African nation's economy thrive?
  2. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    04 Nov '11 21:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What are the best ways to make this central-south landlocked African nation's economy thrive?
    Burn the IMF to the ground.
    Burn the WTO to the ground.
    Burn the G20 to the ground.
    Burn all the remaining financial acronyms to the ground and sow their smoldering ruins with salt.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    05 Nov '11 00:36
    Roads and railways to port towns ftw
  4. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    05 Nov '11 01:36
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Roads and railways to port towns ftw
    NO! Railroads are only needed to export goods to raise capital to build more railroads. The inevitable result is a trainwreck of an economy. Zambians should revolutionize their nation by building a local economy. Revolutions are the locomotives of history!
  5. 05 Nov '11 14:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Burn the IMF to the ground.
    Burn the WTO to the ground.
    Burn the G20 to the ground.
    Burn all the remaining financial acronyms to the ground and sow their smoldering ruins with salt.
    Hell yes, for a start, for they are only there to protect the Western economies and their companies. The 'market' can only thrive by burning nations like Zambia to the ground. Nations who will stand up against the West will be crushed. Plenty examples of that.
    2nd, kick out every Western company who are so called 'buying goods according to market standards for less than peanuts, leaving the population poor. The only way giving to them is building railroads if that's what IMF would figure out, to export food and resources, to get some hard currency to pay their dept to the West, which is never enough ofcourse. Again leaving their own people poor and hungry, for the possible money earned with the railroad is not being used for their own economy, but to pay the West. Ofcourse the railroad must be build and constructed by Western companies, because if they don't open their market for our companies to build it, the deal is off. That's how it always works. You see? Whatever Zambia does, they remain poor. Meanwhile, we drop our subsidised goods on their markets and keeping ours closed for them.
    So the only answer to their problems is; nationalize all foreign companies to get a fair price for their products. All nations who are Western hostages should do that.
    Now that would be a crisis and we deserve it fully.
  6. 05 Nov '11 15:21
    Originally posted by Sake
    Hell yes, for a start, for they are only there to protect the Western economies and their companies. The 'market' can only thrive by burning nations like Zambia to the ground. Nations who will stand up against the West will be crushed. Plenty examples of that.
    2nd, kick out every Western company who are so called 'buying goods according to market standards for ...[text shortened]... are Western hostages should do that.
    Now that would be a crisis and we deserve it fully.
    Economics is not zero-sum. Utility is not "bought" by causing misery somewhere else. The world life expectancy is steadily increasing - but according to your logic these extended years are somehow miserable.
  7. 05 Nov '11 15:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Economics is not zero-sum. Utility is not "bought" by causing misery somewhere else. The world life expectancy is steadily increasing - but according to your logic these extended years are somehow miserable.
    My point has nothing to do with increasing life expectancy, but with fair trade and restoring the local economies. Our wealth is based on theft, murder and other misery somewhere else. We have many economic reasons to keep it that way. If we Westerners want to get any credit in the future, that should change.
  8. 05 Nov '11 16:22
    Originally posted by Sake
    My point has nothing to do with increasing life expectancy, but with fair trade and restoring the local economies. Our wealth is based on theft, murder and other misery somewhere else. We have many economic reasons to keep it that way. If we Westerners want to get any credit in the future, that should change.
    No, it isn't. Most of the world is wealthier now than 50 years ago. Again, it's not zero-sum.
  9. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    05 Nov '11 16:33
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No, it isn't. Most of the world is wealthier now than 50 years ago. Again, it's not zero-sum.
    The total wealth is irrelevant. How that wealth is distributed is what matters. Income inequality is rising.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    05 Nov '11 16:37 / 2 edits
    Maps

    http://www.freeworldmaps.net/africa/africa.jpg
    http://www.4holidays.gr/files/africa_map.jpg

    What sort of terrain is it? Mountains? Jungles? I wonder if those lakes in the Tanzania/Zambia border region can be utilized.
  11. 05 Nov '11 17:30
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The total wealth is irrelevant. How that wealth is distributed is what matters. Income inequality is rising.
    It's rising in Africa?
  12. 05 Nov '11 18:15
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What are the best ways to make this central-south landlocked African nation's economy thrive?
    1. Build proper tourist infrastructure on the Zambian side of the Victoria falls.
    2. Get the Americans to invade Zimbabwe.
    3. $$$
  13. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    05 Nov '11 18:19
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's rising in Africa?
    Yes.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    05 Nov '11 18:26 / 9 edits
    My current thoughts:

    Victoria Falls
    Copper
    Roads, rails and river shipping
    Archaeology
    Lots of water
    Minimum income - enough to live on reasonably
    Honor bound and disciplined military, police and other tough guys
    Talk to everyone - avoid becoming reliant on one business partner e.g. China
    Respect the indigenous khoisan
    Also respect the other three major groups (Ndebele, Shona, white).
    Biology, animal breeding, medicines and other pharmaceudicals
    Watch out for Mugabe and his crew - the black gangsters and warlords - racist and corrupt
    Stop renting out your prime farmland to foreigners
    Educate the populace about AIDS
    Mozambique primary local business partner? What's it like there?
  15. 05 Nov '11 18:34
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Yes.
    Where do you get your figures?