Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 17 Jul '14 17:23
    Malayasian Airlines flight MH17 (with 280 passengers and 15 crew members
    aboard) has crashed in eastern Ukraine. According to reports at this time,
    it's suspected that it was shot down. Ukraine, Russia, and pro-Russian
    separatists in Ukraine have all denied responsibility for shooting it down.

I suspect that, as usual, not everyone's telling the truth, the whole truth,
    and nothing but the truth.
  2. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    17 Jul '14 17:57 / 1 edit
    Malaysia Airlines isn't having a great time with its airliners at the moment. It's not clear that it was shot down. But unless there was an uncontained engine failure it seems the most likely explanation. The Ukrainians claimed that Russian separatists shot it down, but at 10,000 feet that requires a fairly sophisticated system. A couple of fighters have been shot down in recent days. Airlines may want to avoid that airspace.
  3. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    17 Jul '14 19:10
    That should be 32,000ft rather than 10,000ft. The BBC for no good reason were quoting altitudes in metres which I didn't spot until just now.
  4. 17 Jul '14 20:17
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Malayasian Airlines flight MH17 (with 280 passengers and 15 crew members
    aboard) has crashed in eastern Ukraine. According to reports at this time,
    it's suspected that it was shot down. Ukraine, Russia, and pro-Russian
    separatists in Ukraine have all denied responsibility for shooting it down.

I suspect that, as usual, not everyone's telling the truth, the whole truth,
    and nothing but the truth.
    Agree with your analysis that everyone is not telling the truth. Who do you think shot it down? Perhaps American CIA assets?
  5. 17 Jul '14 21:10
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    That should be 32,000ft rather than 10,000ft. The BBC for no good reason were quoting altitudes in metres which I didn't spot until just now.
    we have only been metric since 1970! It always pains me to hear of imperial weights and measures.
  6. 17 Jul '14 21:42
    US intelligence officials have concluded that Malayasian Airlines flight MH17
    was shot down by a SAM (surface-to-air missile).

According to Malaysian Airlines, most (154) of the passengers (280) were Dutch.
  7. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    17 Jul '14 21:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    we have only been metric since 1970! It always pains me to hear of imperial weights and measures.
    It's standard in aviation to use Imperial. When you can kill 300 people at a time by getting confused about measures it's better not to make the transition.
  8. 17 Jul '14 21:50
    Malaysia Airlines isn't having a great time with its airliners at the moment. It's not clear that it was shot down. But unless there was an uncontained engine failure it seems the most likely explanation. The Ukrainians claimed that Russian separatists shot it down, but at 10,000 feet that requires a fairly sophisticated system. A couple of fighters have been shot down in recent days. Airlines may want to avoid that airspace.
    Reportedly, pro-Russian separatists have some Buk SAMs, which are capable
    of destroying aircraft flying at an altitude of over 10,000 metres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system
  9. 18 Jul '14 19:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Reportedly, pro-Russian separatists have some Buk SAMs, which are capable
    of destroying aircraft flying at an altitude of over 10,000 metres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system
    According to the US government, the plane was shot down by a surface to air missile. Evidently other planes have been shot down earlier, but this is the one getting the attention.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Jul '14 20:00
    Originally posted by Eladar
    According to the US government, the plane was shot down by a surface to air missile. Evidently other planes have been shot down earlier, but this is the one getting the attention.
    The other planes were MILITARY planes from Ukraine and/or Russia!
  11. 18 Jul '14 21:03
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The other planes were MILITARY planes from Ukraine and/or Russia!
    So there is an active Civil War going on right now? Didn't know it was so heated.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Jul '14 21:08
    It's standard in aviation to use Imperial. When you can kill 300 people at a time by getting confused about measures it's better not to make the transition.
    They should standardize in Metric.

Though I suppose the USA DID invent airplanes...
  13. 18 Jul '14 21:42
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So there is an active Civil War going on right now? Didn't know it was so heated.
    yes its essentially a civil war, men are sending their wives and daughters into Russia for protection as refugees.
  14. 18 Jul '14 21:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    They should standardize in Metric.

Though I suppose the USA DID invent airplanes...
    I heard the French may have attempted to make time metric.
  15. Standard member redbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    19 Jul '14 05:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I heard the French may have attempted to make time metric.
    gonna be long days has anyone told the Sun & Moon so they can get up to speed.