Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 06:15
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/03/08/men-should-have-the-right-to-abort-responsibility-for-an-unborn-child-swedish-political-group-says/

In Sweden, legislation is being considered that would allow men to legally "abort" their parental rights, which would mean that they aren't responsible for child support of any kind. Men have up to 18 weeks (the legal time for women to get an abortion in Sweden) to make this decision.

Sounds like a good idea to me. As of right now, women can terminate a pregnancies without the father's consent, or keep an accidental pregnancy regardless of his wishes. This gives men some options that only women have.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 07:06
    Originally posted by vivify
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/03/08/men-should-have-the-right-to-abort-responsibility-for-an-unborn-child-swedish-political-group-says/

In Sweden, legislation is being considered that would allow men to legally "abort" their parental rights, which would mean that they aren't responsible for child support of any kind. Men have up t ...[text shortened]... ccidental pregnancy regardless of his wishes. This gives men some options that only women have.
    Seems a good idea in the modern world. No such thing as a shotgun wedding.
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 15:27

In Sweden, legislation is being considered that would allow men to legally "abort" their parental rights, which would mean that they aren't responsible for child support of any kind. Men have up t ...[text shortened]... ccidental pregnancy regardless of his wishes. This gives men some options that only women have.
    It's a woman's body. Her choice.
    Nice if she includes a husband on the decision making... But it's her body; her choice.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 15:33
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    It's a woman's body. Her choice.
    Nice if she includes a husband on the decision making... But it's her body; her choice.
    Nobody's arguing (at least in this thread). But if the man wants to disavow his parenthood at the same times the woman can choose whether to have an abortion, that seems perfectly fair to me.

This law wouldn't force the woman to have an abortion. It would just give the man the same right as she has while she is still in the decision-making window.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 15:47

Presumably the woman can appeal the decision for example if she has evidence of a sufficiently binding commitment made by the man. This may be murky waters for a while.
  6. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 16:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    Nobody's arguing (at least in this thread). But if the man wants to disavow his parenthood at the same times the woman can choose whether to have an abortion, that seems perfectly fair to me.

This law wouldn't force the woman to have an abortion. It would just give the man the same right as she has while she is still in the decision-making window.
    I hate to say it, but: no.
    If a child is born, the father has to take financial responsibility. He doesn't have to be involved with the kid, that's his choice... But he's gotta pay.

Until a child is born, it's part of the mother and she can do as she pleases.

Unfair? Yup.
    But society shouldn't be excessively burdoned by bastards who don't want to wear condoms.

If you wanna play, you gotta pay!
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 16:31
    If a child is born, the father has to take financial responsibility. He doesn't have to be involved with the kid, that's his choice... But he's gotta pay.

Unfair? Yup.
    But society shouldn't be excessively burdoned by bastards who don't want to wear condoms.

So, a man can be punished for failing to exercise proper birth control, but a woman should not be?

Sounds pretty unfair to me.
  8. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 16:40
    Daddy disavows me and mommy may have me killed. Poor kid.

Screw "society". They both have a responsibility to the kid.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 16:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    Presumably the woman can appeal the decision for example if she has evidence of a sufficiently binding commitment made by the man. This may be murky waters for a while.
    A woman can terminate a pregnancy even if the relationship was a binding commitment, and there's nothing the man can do about it. So I doubt this will be able to be appealed, since the whole point of the law seems to make things fair regarding choosing to be a parent or not.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 17:03

Unfair? Yup.

Stop talking about Obama like that!

How disrespectful can you get Shav?

You got it all wrong man, we are no longer responsible for our actions. It's all about what feels good at the moment that matters. Responsibility to family is soooo yesterday in the bastard liberal world of infidels. Get with the times man!
  11. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 17:33
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Daddy disavows me and mommy may have me killed. Poor kid.

Screw "society". They both have a responsibility to the kid.
    A faetus isn't a kid.
    End of story.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 17:36
    A faetus isn't a kid.
    End of story.
    Evidently you have no clue about the topic of this thread. You read the title and assume it is about something it is not. Typical
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 17:37
    In Sweden, legislation is being considered that would allow men to legally "abort" their parental rights, which would mean that they aren't responsible for child support of any kind. Men have up to 18 weeks (the legal time for women to get an abortion in Sweden) to make this decision

Sounds like a woman who wants a man's money needs to hide the pregnancy until after the 18th week.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 17:48
    A faetus isn't a kid.
    End of story.
    No. Beginning of story.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Mar '16 18:022 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Sounds like a woman who wants a man's money needs to hide the pregnancy until after the 18th week.
    That's over four months. Barring a Cosby-style rape, it will be hard for a woman to make a convincing case that she didn't know she was pregnant by then. So I doubt this will be a realistic tactic from gold-diggers.