Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 02:52
    This one is for suzianne....read, revel, nod your head. Now you can't say you disagree with something i've posted...wuhoo!

https://www.pambazuka.org/governance/black-people-can%E2%80%99t-be-racist
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 08:31
    Originally posted by @uzless
    This one is for suzianne....read, revel, nod your head. Now you can't say you disagree with something i've posted...wuhoo!

https://www.pambazuka.org/governance/black-people-can%E2%80%99t-be-racist
    And yet you equate "cracker" to "nigger".

I still wonder just what is wrong with you. Is it just that you're white?

No, that can't be all it is. I know plenty of white people (most of them millenials) who genuinely do not use pigmentation to pre-judge people. But it is an unfortunate fact of life that most white people still do. At least in my experience, it's still over 50% who do. Now it could be that it's because I come from a red state, I don't know. Or maybe it's because the median age of my state is higher than most others, being high in numbers of retirement-age people. But I do know that the people who actually give me hope for my race are ALL young people.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 10:52
    You expressed concern over double-standards. You're absolutely right; double-standards are wrong. No race should use racial epithets.

It's just that when it comes to blacks vs whites, let's fight one battle at a time. Racism against blacks has been infinitely more horrific than the other way around. Whites are still proud to be racist. It's been less than a year since white supremacists openly marched in Charlottesville, and KKK Grand Wizard David Duke thanked The President of the U.S. for supporting them with his "both sides" comment.

Let's tackle the bigger problem first. We live in a country where white cops choked a black man to death on video with a banned choke-hold, and a BLACK WOMAN got fired as a result:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-charges-sergeant-eric-garner-death-investigation-article-1.2489975

We live in a country where a white cop shot a black social worker while he was on his back, with his hands up, coaching an white autistic person to follow the cops instructions. When the black man asks the cop on video "why did you shoot me", the cop responds "I don't know.". See for yourself:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/officer-charged-with-shooting-autistic-mans-unarmed-caregiver/

Using words like "cracker" is wrong. I'd like to see that disappear, just like with all racially disparaging terms. But one fight at a time. When whites can be proud to be white supremacists in front of the whole world, we have bigger problems than "cracker". I'm not saying we shouldn't have a problem with it, or that we shouldn't call people out for "cracker'; but let's not get distracted by it. Focus your energy on the bigger, more harmful issues. One fight at a time, we'll fix everyone else.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 12:06
    Originally posted by @suzianne

No, that can't be all it is. I know plenty of white people (most of them millenials) who genuinely do not use pigmentation to pre-judge people. But it is an unfortunate fact of life that most white people still do. At least in my ex ...[text shortened]... ople. But I do know that the people who actually give me hope for my race are ALL young people.
    As long as ignorant people continue to think in terms of race, man is going to continue being hamstrung by childish thinking on either side of the contrived issue.
    In my house, we have two cats.
    One black, one white.
    But we all think of ourselves as having two cats.
    Your invective furthers the harm and in no way, shape or form are you intent on helping, healing or bringing people together.
    The acid you fling around here is nothing short of toxic.
    Shame on you.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 12:06
    Originally posted by @vivify
    You expressed concern over double-standards. You're absolutely right; double-standards are wrong. No race should use racial epithets.

It's just that when it comes to blacks vs whites, let's fight one battle at a time. Racism against blacks has been infinitely more horrific than the other way around. Whites are still proud to be racist. It's been le ...[text shortened]... s your energy on the bigger, more harmful issues. One fight at a time, we'll fix everyone else.
    If you truly believe racism is wrong you would not advocate fighting one type of racism over another. Cops should follow rules. They shouldn't choke people unnecessarily. People shouldn't insult others because of their race. The fact that your more bothered the act if the victim is of a certain color should be shocking to all.
  6. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 12:111 edit

It's just that when it comes to blacks vs whites, let's fight one battle at a time. Racism against blacks has been infinitely more horrific than the other way around. Whites are still proud to be racist. It's been le ...[text shortened]... s your energy on the bigger, more harmful issues. One fight at a time, we'll fix everyone else.
    A very reasonable post.
    Those individual acts of brutality and hatred are indeed, sad and repulsive. The police, in our "age of terrorism" must feel empowered to do whatever the hell they want.
    Unfortunately, many of those white police officers were probably taught to hate. For, that's how the social virus is transmitted.
    Passed from one generation to the next...they've been schooled in prejudice. Nobody is born with a cultural/racial bias.

"They have to be taught."
    South Pacific -
    Rogers and Hammerstein

I also am also encouraged by Suzianne's post. The millennial generation is indeed on the right track.

Though racial harmony is likely to be the target of their future ruling class too. It's been their wedge of choice for centuries.
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 12:17
    If it weren't for blacks, would racism be a thing? I mean, every time racism is brought up, blacks are front and center. Are the other races conspiring against blacks? Or is something else at play?
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 12:18

No, that can't be all it is. I know plenty of white people (most of them millenials) who genuinely do not use pigmentation to pre-judge people. But it is an unfortunate fact of life that most white people still do. At least in my ex ...[text shortened]... ople. But I do know that the people who actually give me hope for my race are ALL young people.
    "millennials"? you mean the ones eating tide pods? or the ones snorting fuk rubbers?
  9. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 12:50
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    "millennials"? you mean the ones eating tide pods? or the ones snorting fuk rubbers?
    No...not those caught up in the mass mind-poisoning which is the end result of the drugs trade.

I hope the future belongs to those young, enlightened leaders who will put principles before prejudice.
    But, I suppose, the attitude of "there's no hope" could prevail... if chronic pessimism continues to be encouraged.
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 17:54

Bravo. I post an article that backs everything you've been saying and yet you still find a way to turn the thread negative.. Well done.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 18:00
    Using words like "cracker" is wrong. I'd like to see that disappear, just like with all racially disparaging terms. But one fight at a time.......I'm not saying we shouldn't have a problem with it, or that we shouldn't call people out for "cracker'; but let's not get distracted by it. Focus your energy on the bigger, more harmful issues. One fight at a time, we'll fix everyone else.
    there are a tonne of threads on RHP railing against the fact SOME white people are racist. And sure why not. White racists should be called out and stomped on. Full Agreement.

But, I DO believe among all those RHP threads, there is room for one single solitary thread asking black people to stop using racial slurs against white folks.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 18:254 edits
    Originally posted by @vivify to Uzless

It's just that when it comes to blacks vs whites, let's fight one battle at a time. Racism against blacks has been infinitely more horrific than the other way around. Whites are still proud to be racist. It ...[text shortened]... s your energy on the bigger, more harmful issues. One fight at a time, we'll fix everyone else.
    "Using words like "cracker" is wrong."
    --Vivify

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)
    ""Cracker" has also been used as a proud or jocular self-description. With the huge influx
    of new residents from the North, "cracker" is used informally by some white residents of
    Florida and Georgia ("Florida cracker" or "Georgia cracker" ) to indicate that their family
    has lived there for many generations."

So Vivify would condemn every white person who says "I am proud to be a Florida (or Georgia) cracker! "?

When will the 'Context Matters' (like 'Black Lives Matter' ) movement start marching?
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 18:36
    Originally posted by @suzianne to Uzless

No, that can't be all it is. I know plenty of white people (most of them millenials) who genuinely do not use pigmentation to pre-judge people. But it is an unfortunate fact of life that most white people still do. At leas ...[text shortened]... ople. But I do know that the people who actually give me hope for my race are ALL young people.
    "I know plenty of white people (most of them millenials) who genuinely do not use pigmentation to pre-judge people."
    --Suzianne

Let's replace 'pigmentation' with 'differences in racial appearance'.
    Skin 'pigmentation' is far from the only difference in appearance that influences racism.
    Let's not pretend that Suzianne and, say, a Vietnamese woman with her skin 'pigmentation'
    would have exactly the same experiences of racism in the USA.

What Suzianne means is that many white people may be sincerely, though often mistakenly,
    unaware of racial prejudices in themselves or other white people. I would submit, however,
    that it's almost impossible for a white person to grow up in a deeply racist dominant culture
    (where white people are treated as superior) WITHOUT acquiring some racial prejudices,
    at least at a subconscious level. While younger white Americans may be growing up
    LESS RACIST, they are not yet usually growing up COMPLETELY NON-RACIST.

It's easy for white people to congratulate themselves and other white people for their supposed absence of racism.
    But how many of their non-white acquaintances would privately agree with their self-perceptions?
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 19:08
    Originally posted by @uzless to Vivify
    there are a tonne of threads on RHP railing against the fact SOME white people are racist. And sure why not. White racists should be called out and stomped on. Full Agreement.

But, I DO believe among all those RHP threads, there is room for one single solitary thread asking black people to stop using racial slurs against white folks.
    "there are a tonne of threads on RHP railing against the fact SOME white people are racist."
    --Uzless

Many, if not most, of the white writers in this forum are overtly racist, though they all deny it.
    Practically all of the white writers seem at least influenced by some racist stereotyping.

"White racists should be called out ..."
    --Uzless

I already have 'called out' the racism of Uzless, who dishonestly equates 'cracker' with the 'N--word' in offensiveness.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Apr '18 22:431 edit
    Originally posted by @uzless

I don't disagree with you, as I mentioned in my post. It's just that the people we are fighting against, racists, use the common tactic of "what about..." in order to deflect the conversation.

"What you say is degrading to blacks."
    "Oh yeah? What about them using 'cracker'?"

And then the conversation devolves until the serious matter of systemic racism against blacks gets lost.

Maybe if you weren't already defending using racists stereotypes like in the "Apu" thread, it would be easier to take your suggestion seriously. You can't make enlightened comments about double-standards when you're still in the stone age angry that it's no longer okay to mock people on TV for their race.