Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Jul '09 20:51 / 1 edit
    Say what you want about his policies and about what you think his "real" motives are, but President Obama is outright amazing when it comes to managing PR, the media and public opinion.

    He could have dug in his heels and this silly sideshow would dominate the media cycles for a week. Instead, he's going to ignore his own pride and turn the whole thing into one big feel-good photo-op.

    Amazing.





    http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/obama_calls_cam.html

    President Obama this afternoon telephoned the Cambridge police sergeant accused of racial profiling and expressed regret for his choice of words at a recent press conference, saying he inadvertently ratcheted up the media frenzy when he said police "acted stupidly" in the arrest of Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr.

    "I want to make clear that in my choice of words I unfortunately gave the impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department and Sergeant [James M.] Crowley specifically. I could have calibrated those words differently," Obama said in a surprise appearance at the White House briefing room. "I told this to Sergeant Crowley. I continue to believe that there was an overreaction in pulling professor Gates out of his home and to the station. I also continue to believe, based on what I've heard, that professor Gates overreacted as well."

    Crowley and the president discussed "he and I and professor Gates having a beer here in the White House," Obama said. "We don't know if that's scheduled yet -- but we may put that together."

    According to a statement released later by the White House, Obama made the same invitation to Gates during a "positive discussion" in a phone call later in the afternoon.

    The five-minute phone conversation between Obama and Crowley took place at about 2:15 p.m., two hours after police unions held a press conference at a hotel in Cambridge asking the president to apologize. In recounting the exchange for the media, the president did not use the words "apology" or "sorry," but he made it clear he regretted fanning the flames of an already explosive story.

    "My hope is that as a consequence of this event, this ends up being what's called a teachable moment," Obama said. "Where all of us -- instead of pumping up the volume -- spend a little more time listening to each other and trying to focus on how we can generally improve relations between police officers and minority communities. That instead of flinging accusations, we can all be a little more reflective about what we can do to contribute to more unity.

    "Lord knows we need it right now."

    The phone conversation between the president of the United States and a Cambridge police sergeant was the latest twist in a bizarre series of events that began on July 16 at Gates's home near Harvard Square. By the end of Obama's briefing this afternoon for the White House press corps, he took on a lighter tone.

    The president urged the press to leave Crowley's home in Natick and "stop trampling his grass."

    Between jokes, Obama noted that he had a political motivation to tamp down the rhetoric over Gates's arrest.

    "Over the last two days as we've discussed this issue, I don't know if you've noticed, but nobody has been paying much attention to healthcare," Obama said, eliciting laughter from the press corps.
  2. 24 Jul '09 21:01
    He understands the meaning of terms like "dignity", "civility" and "respect"

    Obama is one of the most "presidential" presidents we've ever had.
  3. 24 Jul '09 21:05
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    He understands the meaning of terms like "dignity", "civility" and "respect"

    Obama is one of the most "presidential" presidents we've ever had.
    That's dumb that's like saying "he is the most equal, equals we've ever had", what about his morals, his pastor said that blacks are superior to anyone else, what about that?
  4. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    24 Jul '09 21:07
    Originally posted by daniel58
    That's dumb that's like saying "he is the most equal, equals we've ever had", what about his morals, his pastor said that blacks are superior to anyone else, what about that?
    How many stupid things has your pastor said?
  5. 24 Jul '09 21:07 / 1 edit
    Been waiting for this to come up.

    henry gates, black professor in a town with a black mayor, a state with a black governor, and a country with a black president, all elected by a white majority, claims racism rampant.

    No news here.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Jul '09 21:07
    Originally posted by daniel58
    That's dumb that's like saying "he is the most equal, equals we've ever had", what about his morals, his pastor said that blacks are superior to anyone else, what about that?
    The fact that he stuck with Wright for so long bothers me as well. Wright's a racist clown and Obama had to know that at some point.

    Still, I don't think it's fair to bind him to everything that Wright said. I wouldn't like to be bound by what my "leader" says or, in fact, by anything other than what I say.
  7. 24 Jul '09 21:08
    Originally posted by rwingett
    How many stupid things has your pastor said?
    None.
  8. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    24 Jul '09 21:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    How many stupid things has your pastor said?
    You should hear the crap my god says to me when i pray, and i have to listen to it 5 times a day.

    GRANNY.
  9. 24 Jul '09 21:19
    Originally posted by smw6869
    You should hear the crap my god says to me when i pray, and i have to listen to it 5 times a day.

    GRANNY.
    ONLLY ONE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. 24 Jul '09 21:19
    Originally posted by sh76
    The fact that he stuck with Wright for so long bothers me as well. Wright's a racist clown and Obama had to know that at some point.

    Still, I don't think it's fair to bind him to everything that Wright said. I wouldn't like to be bound by what my "leader" says or, in fact, by anything other than what I say.
    I'll have to look him up again. I watched a video of him and it would be easy to claim he is racist, but by golly he was right on everything he said.
  11. 25 Jul '09 03:03
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    He understands the meaning of terms like "dignity", "civility" and "respect"

    Obama is one of the most "presidential" presidents we've ever had.
    are you serious?! where is the punch line?
  12. 27 Jul '09 11:07
    Originally posted by daniel58
    ONLLY ONE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Only one "L"!!!!!!!!!
  13. 27 Jul '09 12:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    The fact that he stuck with Wright for so long bothers me as well. Wright's a racist clown and Obama had to know that at some point.

    Still, I don't think it's fair to bind him to everything that Wright said. I wouldn't like to be bound by what my "leader" says or, in fact, by anything other than what I say.
    It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

    For starters they tape every sermon. And after YEARS of taping their sermons they cherry pick the most damning footage they could find and it gets played over and over.

    There is so much more to a church than one of their pastors, even if it's the head pastor. Don't forget, for many years Obama was involved with community service - and a big part of that involved his church. Trinity's membership is 8000 strong. And I'm quite sure the vast majority of them are just good, church going people. That would be a great catalist for making contacts and getting involved in his various community projects.

    All this "Obama associates with!" crap is exactly that. It's crap. It comes from people who WANT to believe the worst, whether they'll admit it or not.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Jul '09 12:47
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

    For starters they tape every sermon. And after YEARS of taping their sermons they cherry pick the most damning footage they could find and it gets played over and over.

    There is so much more to a church than one of their pastors, even if it's the head pastor. Don't forget, for many years Obama was invo ...[text shortened]... p. It comes from people who WANT to believe the worst, whether they'll admit it or not.
    Cherry picked or not, that was some damning footage.

    Besides, if you watch his performance at that dinner that finally caused Obama to break with him, you'll see very clearly that those cherry picked clips were not an aberration, but a true representative sample of his beliefs and what he regularly asserts to anyone who will listen to him.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    27 Jul '09 13:20
    Originally posted by sh76
    Cherry picked or not, that was some damning footage.

    Besides, if you watch his performance at that dinner that finally caused Obama to break with him, you'll see very clearly that those cherry picked clips were not an aberration, but a true representative sample of his beliefs and what he regularly asserts to anyone who will listen to him.
    Don't you think, though, that Rev. Wright's views are rather interesting?