Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Nov '17 22:46 / 1 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/10/man-rams-car-into-students-outside-french-lycee

"Man rams car into students outside French college.
    Three people injured after 28-year-old man known to police drives vehicle into group in Blagnac, near Toulouse."

"A man has rammed his car into a group of students outside a French
    college near Toulouse, injuring three people.

Police arrested the 28-year-old driver outside the Lycée Saint-Exupéry in Blagnac.
    He was reported to be “known to police” but not on the Fiche S security-risk list.
    Europe 1 radio reported that the man had told police he “received orders”
    to do what he did. The investigation is to be handled by regular judicial
    police rather than Paris’s anti-terror unit.

"Officers confirmed that a red Renault Clio was deliberately driven at a
    group of people outside the college campus at around 4pm on Friday.
    The driver accelerated at the group as they were crossing the road to a
    bus stop, according to the local La Dépêche newspaper. He carried on
    driving and was arrested nearby a few minutes later.
    La Dépêche said the man told police he had deliberately targeted the
    group and that he had heard voices telling him to “harm someone”..."

"All three of the victims were students from China."

Would the French police be more likely to regard this as terrorism if the
    driver apparently was Muslim or the victims were white rather than Chinese?

France's Chinese community has longstanding grievances against the police on
    on account of its racism, alleged brutality, or failure to protect them from violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/28/police-and-protesters-clash-in-paris-over-death-of-chinese-man

"Police and protesters clash in Paris over death of Chinese man.
    Demonstration outside police station after man reportedly shot by officer at home in front of his children."

"Shaoyo Liu, 56, was allegedly shot in front of his children while he was cutting up fish.
    Police say the officer involved in a raid on the property on Sunday fired
    in self-defence after Liu wounded an officer with a “bladed weapon”.

Liu’s family says it “totally disputes” this account. His daughter told French journalists
    her father spoke little French and had been at the door of their home holding
    a pair of scissors that he had been using to descale fish for the family dinner....
    “They [police] smashed the door in, the shot went off and my father
    ended up on the floor,” she told Le Parisien."

Here's an earlier case:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37720780

"A killing in Paris: Why French Chinese are in uproar."

"As with British Chinese, French Chinese say that racist comments toward them
    are tolerated, in a way that they are not for more established migrant communities.
    But in France, there is a sense that Asian migrants are targeted with
    particularly nasty violence."

"Meriem Derkaoui, the suburb's communist mayor, condemned Zhang's murder
    as "racist targeting". Community groups say such attacks are driven by a
    perception that Chinese people are weak, will not fight back and carry a lot of cash."

"Zhang's death was the final straw. It prompted a [Chinese] community normally
    regarded as quietly focused on work and family to take a public stand."

"Alain Juppe, a former prime minister and likely presidential candidate,
    visited the family of Zhang Chaolin in early September.
    Speaking to French-Chinese in the area, he condemned rising incidents
    of "anti-Chinese racism" "
  2. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    11 Nov '17 02:10 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/10/man-rams-car-into-students-outside-french-lycee

"Man rams car into students outside French college.
    Three people injured after 28-year-old man known to police drives vehicle into group in Blagnac, near Toulouse."

"A man has rammed his car into a group of students outside a French
    college near Toulouse ...[text shortened]... peaking to French-Chinese in the area, he condemned rising incidents
    of "anti-Chinese racism" "
    I'm sorry about the Chinese students. I'm not sure how this could be avoided however. As long as automobiles and foot traffic are in such close proximity, this will be nearly impossible to stop should a driver want to do it.

Would the French police be more likely to regard this as terrorism if the
    driver apparently was Muslim or the victims were white rather than Chinese?

I don't know. I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to ask the French police.
  3. 11 Nov '17 03:37 / 3 edits
    Typical Asian driver.

If only they would just open their eyes!

Say, that does not make me a racist does it? I sure would hate to ever be called that.

You all know how sensitive I can be.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    11 Nov '17 16:50
    If only there were more guns on the scene...
  5. 11 Nov '17 20:37 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Typical Asian driver.
    If only they would just open their eyes!

Say, that does not make me a racist does it? I sure would hate to ever be called that.
    You all know how sensitive I can be.
    There's no known evidence that the driver's Asian. According to demographics, the he's probably white.

"Typical Asian driver. If only they would just open their eyes!"
    --Whodey

A typical racist comment by the racist troll Whodey.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/28/world-series-game-3-houston-astros-los-angeles-dodgers

"Astros' win in World Series Game 3 overshadowed by Gurriel's racist gesture"

"Television pictures caught Gurriel making what appeared to be a “slant eye” gesture in the dug-out."
    (Reportedly, he also mouthed a racist slur in Spanish.)

Some Americans attempted to excuse it by claiming that Yuli Gurriel's from Cuba, where
    there's supposedly no Asian population, so he would be unaware of offending any Asians.
    In fact, Cuba has a significant Chinese community (114,000+ people), particularly in Havana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Cubans

"On Saturday MLB said Gurriel would be suspended for five games for his actions,
    but would not serve his ban until the start of next season."

The Houston Astros stated that they would donate money (from the amount that will not
    be paid to Gurriel during his suspension) to a local organization promoting 'diversity'.
    I hope that organization includes or reaches out to a significant number of Asians.
    (It would be most appropriate if it's an Asian American civil rights organization.)
    I submit that it would be pointless if all the money went to a black or Latino civil rights
    organization that has practically no presence in the diverse Asian communities.
    Gurriel's racist gesture showed his insensitivity (at best) toward Asians, not Latinos like himself.