Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 08:241 edit
    While this forum has always been a contentious place, the level of acrimony and personal animosity between posters seems to have reached an all-time high and few discussions proceed at any acceptable level of rational discourse. Many, if not most, descend into little more than mutual name-calling.

I admit that I have not been blameless in this. Therefore, I am adopting the following guidelines and rules in my posts from this moment on:

1) I will not insult or personally attack other posters;

2) I will not respond to any other posts that insult or personally attack myself or any other poster;

3) IF I find a post interesting enough to respond to that doesn't violate #2 above, I will not dismiss its arguments based on a source quoted i.e. if someone wants to use the Conservativetreehouse, RT, etc. fine; I will attempt to refute arguments from their sources by finding better information from more reliable ones.

I'm open to further suggestions, so I encourage ideas from other posters. My responses to such will be constrained by the above, esp. #2.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 11:41
    Just curious...

If you call a poster a racist, and they do not want to be called a racist nor do they identify as a racist, that is an insult, correct?

That will fall under your category one, right?

Or, are you going to reserve the right to refer to me and potentially other users as racists?

Because if you will actually file this under your rule #1, I will definitely applaud your efforts here.

... And hey, I'll up the ante: if you do that, I will use your exact policy myself, and abide by it for the foreseeable future as long as you operate on good faith.
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 11:51
    @philokalia said
    Just curious...

If you call a poster a racist, and they do not want to be called a racist nor do they identify as a racist, that is an insult, correct?

That will fall under your category one, right?

Or, are you going to reserve the right to refer to me and potentially other users as racists?

Because if you will actually file this under your rule #1, I will de ...[text shortened]... xact policy myself, and abide by it for the foreseeable future as long as you operate on good faith.
    I will no longer call other posters "racists".

I will identify views that I feel are racist, however.
  4. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 11:56
    Then, it is a deal.

I will totally abide by the above three listed rules -- and you won't catch me slipping.

Very, very bold move, Marauder, and thought out very well. I'd love to see others agree to do the above as well.

I think even if a bunch of people do not sign on now, the persistent attitude could win people over.

Upvotes issued & now I'm off to dinner.
  5. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:16
    @no1marauder said
    While this forum has always been a contentious place, the level of acrimony and personal animosity between posters seems to have reached an all-time high and few discussions proceed at any acceptable level of rational discourse. Many, if not most, descend into little more than mutual name-calling.

I admit that I have not been blameless in this. Therefore, I am adopting ...[text shortened]... other posters. My responses to such will be constrained by the above, esp. #2.

Thanks in advance.
    Well.
    I agree with your assessment.
    And I applaud your set of rules.

Two questions:
    Where do you stand on the use of sarcasm? Is that a slippery slope to be avoided or is it acceptable?

How do you know if something is an insult? Isn't that a personal choice (to be or not to be insulted by something)
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:18
    @no1marauder
    Thumbs up from me.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:26
    Does this mean I have to be nice to Wajoma, Whodey and the Duchess?

And there's a no withering sarcasm rule??

I like the proposal though. Debate the argument on its merits, nothing more or less! I think if a majority adopt this approach, it can definitely work. Sign me up!
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:26
    @shavixmir said
    Well.
    I agree with your assessment.
    And I applaud your set of rules.

Two questions:
    Where do you stand on the use of sarcasm? Is that a slippery slope to be avoided or is it acceptable?

How do you know if something is an insult? Isn't that a personal choice (to be or not to be insulted by something)
    I love sarcasm.

In some cases there is a subjective aspect as to what is an insult, but in most instances on this Forum I don't think that's a major issue. I'll use my best judgment.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:28
    @no1marauder

nice...

I hope to reach these heights some day ... fag 🙂
  10. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:30
    @no1marauder said
    I love sarcasm.

In some cases there is a subjective aspect as to what is an insult, but in most instances on this Forum I don't think that's a major issue. I'll use my best judgment.
    Well, I shall join you in your quest for proper debate.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:31
    @shavixmir said
    Then get busy in the Treaty of Versailles thread. 😕
  12. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:32
    @shavixmir said
    Yay, withering sarcasm stays!!!!
  13. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:35
    @kmax87 said
    Yay, withering sarcasm stays!!!!
    Now all you have to do is figure out how to write it (besides just spelling the words "withering sarcasm"😉.
  14. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 12:42
    @no1marauder said
    Now all you have to do is figure out how to write it (besides just spelling the words "withering sarcasm"😉.
    😀
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 13:13
    @no1marauder said

I admit that I have not been blameless in this. Therefore, I am adopting ...[text shortened]... other posters. My responses to such will be constrained by the above, esp. #2.

Thanks in advance.
    I think this is a good idea. Forums should be for free exchange of ideas and personal insults interfere with that objective.