Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 15:56
    She should resign. In my opinion, zero-tolerance for such language on the part of an elected official.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 16:20
    Originally posted by @stevemcc
    She should resign. In my opinion, zero-tolerance for such language on the part of an elected official.
    I thought for a moment there you were talking about the wife of Rafael Nadal.
  3. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    19 Aug '17 23:141 edit
    Originally posted by @stevemcc
    "I refuse to resign for exercising my First Amendment rights, even though what I said was wrong," she said.

Okay. What are those rights?

We have considered elsewhere the idea that an employee does not have a right to say whatever they want to say in the context of their employment. It is not that their words are illegal, just their job is not protected against the consequences if they psis off their employer.

I could see an argument that whatever this politician's right to free speech, her comment is not compatible with her position and status as an elected politician. After all, why should other politicians share a chamber with someone capable of recommending their assassination? [If she was not being serious then why is that better?]

One skill we do look for in a politician is the abillity to communicate and take responsibility for their words, especially in a very heated environment. This is a fail. Close the door as you leave.
  4. Subscriberjoe shmo
    Strange Egg
    podunk, PA
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 00:462 edits
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    "I refuse to resign for exercising my First Amendment rights, even though what I said was wrong," she said.

Okay. What are those rights?

We have considered elsewhere the idea that an employee does not have a right to say whatever they want to say in the context of their employment. It is not that their words are illegal, just their job is n ...[text shortened]... words, especially in a very heated environment. This is a fail. Close the door as you leave.
    It will never happen for these simple reasons:

1) Democrat
    2) Black
    3) Woman

She is also threatening to out other politicians for office misconduct should she be forced to resign.
  5. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 19:24
    Originally posted by @joe-shmo
    It will never happen for these simple reasons:

1) Democrat
    2) Black
    3) Woman

She is also threatening to out other politicians for office misconduct should she be forced to resign.
    If she has information of misconduct by other politicians then she also has a public duty to make that public or at least disclose the information to relevant authorities. If she has such information and is witholding it, then she is not fit for public office herself.

Of course, it goes without saying that misconduct in public office is prevalent and it is not always obvious that the public would give a tinker's curse if their preferred politicians were exposed but wouldn't it be nice to have elected politicians who were not so relaxed about this?

[In a London Docklands ward, a local politician was successfully prosecuted for handling stolen goods from ships in the docks. His vote went up substantially as a result - 'one of us'! ]