Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Dec '17 21:31
    This is Trump's nominee for Judge?!?!?
    YouTube

Remember he is being questioned by a Republican.
  2. 16 Dec '17 22:08
    Did he get the position?
  3. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    16 Dec '17 22:49
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    Did he get the position?
    I don't think a decision has been made yet.

I felt sorry for the guy ... what a job interview!
  4. 17 Dec '17 05:37
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59

I suppose declining the nomination would be a career-ender. Poor guy (unless he's an abuser.)
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    17 Dec '17 17:19
    Originally posted by @js357
    I suppose declining the nomination would be a career-ender. Poor guy (unless he's an abuser.)
    Betsy Devos, Katherine White, and now Matthew Petersen....all Trump picks, all with humiliating and woeful nomination hearings.
  6. 17 Dec '17 17:39

Not sure why you'd feel sorry for him. Was he forced to do this? I'm not going to apply for a job as a brain surgeon, because I know I wouldn't stand a chance.

But to be fair, I'm not entirely sure what I was watching here. Can somebody with a legal background explain if he was treated harshly? If not, why did Trump choose this guy? I mean, I know Trump is a bit of an odd fellow, but certainly he must've had some reason to nominate him?
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    17 Dec '17 17:49
    Not sure why you'd feel sorry for him. Was he forced to do this? I'm not going to apply for a job as a brain surgeon, because I know I wouldn't stand a chance.

But to be fair, I'm not entirely sure what I was watching here. Can somebody with a legal background explain if he was treated harshly? If not, why did Trump choose this guy? I mean, I know Trump is a bit of an odd fellow, but certainly he must've had some reason to nominate him?
    Trump is deliberately dismantling the government because it's "too big". So, he's putting in incompetent cronies to lead the various departments with the intention of making those departments and organizations fail.
  8. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    17 Dec '17 19:00

I'd still feel sorry for you at your brain surgeon interview!!!

Seriously though, Trump (and his supporters) seem suspicious of experts.
    They don't like politicians.
    They don't like scientists.
    They don't like the Intelligence Services.
    They don't like regular judges it seems.

Plus this guy is a friend of a friend and probably loony right-winger.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    17 Dec '17 19:06

They also don't like colleges and universities. Whodey accuses all of them of being "liberal".
  10. 17 Dec '17 19:57
    Sh76 or No1Marauder, if you will, please explain to this dumb Dutch guy what is happening here, and be non-partisan about it. Is it really as bad as it seems (because it looks ridiculous).

I'm really struggling to understand this video.
  11. 17 Dec '17 20:15
    Sh76 or No1Marauder, if you will, please explain to this dumb Dutch guy what is happening here, and be non-partisan about it. Is it really as bad as it seems (because it looks ridiculous).

I'm really struggling to understand this video.
    A totally unqualified candidate is being interviewed for a position.What do yo fail to understand? Kennedy was straightforward in his questioning. They were reasonable questions. Kennedy did not insult the candidate in any way, shape or form. The candidate is unfit for a judgeship.
  12. 17 Dec '17 21:15
    Originally posted by @phranny
    A totally unqualified candidate is being interviewed for a position.What do yo fail to understand? Kennedy was straightforward in his questioning. They were reasonable questions. Kennedy did not insult the candidate in any way, shape or form. The candidate is unfit for a judgeship.
    What I am failing to understand is how - if the president of the USA can nominate a candidate seemingly so abysmal - the USA can still exist.

What happened to your country and how are you ever going to fix this?? Wait 3 more years and hope a better president shows up? Or accept an even worse specimen if that's how the votes role?

I am seriously questioning and not understanding how a guy so unfit for the job could be nominated by the president.

Unlike most Americans, this is still not "everyday business" for me.
  13. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    17 Dec '17 21:30

... and now "science-based" and "evidence-based" are banned phrases!
  14. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    18 Dec '17 12:19 / 2 edits
    This is Trump's nominee for Judge?!?!?
    [youtube]c-zvNnFjk3Q[/youtube]

Remember he is being questioned by a Republican.
    The plan is quite clear to me. The Position won't be filled to fast and a lot of tax-payers $$$$ are sved. I expect the deficit to be reduced significantly.

What I don't understand is that the guy, and a Doctor Juris, no less, a member of the federal Election Comission would apply for that Position. He should have known what he was going in for. And I think he should be removed from the Federal Election Comissiondue to proven incompetence of Evaluation of the most Basic Problems...

PS: Just found out that ALL of currently five members sit until replaced because their Terms expired (in case of Ms. Weintraub more than 10 years!). I am really astonished, hopw things work in the USA
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Dec '17 13:09
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    The plan is quite clear to me. The Position won't be filled to fast and a lot of tax-payers $$$$ are sved. I expect the deficit to be reduced significantly.

What I don't understand is that the guy, and a Doctor Juris, no less, a member of the federal Election Comission would apply for that Position. He should have known what he was going in for. And ...[text shortened]... case of Ms. Weintraub more than 10 years!). I am really astonished, hopw things work in the USA
    A Federal District Judge is a lot better gig than an FEC commissioner. They're appointed for life and cannot be removed except by impeachment whereas FEC commissioners get only a 6 year term. And the FEC is considered a bit of a joke esp. after Citizens United which opened the floodgates of corporate and rich people money into the political process.