Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 04:021 edit
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/24/boris-johnson-prime-minister-tory-party-britain

"I was Boris Johnson’s boss: he is utterly unfit to be prime minister.
    The Tory party is about to foist a tasteless joke upon the British people.
    He cares for nothing but his own fame and gratification."
    --Max Hastings

"There is room for debate about whether he [Boris Johnson]is a scoundrel or
    mere rogue, but not much about his moral bankruptcy, rooted in a contempt for truth."

"I have known Johnson since the 1980s, when I edited the Daily
    Telegraph and he was our flamboyant Brussels correspondent."

"We can’t predict what a Johnson government will do, because its prospective
    leader has not got around to thinking about this. But his premiership
    will almost certainly reveal a contempt for rules, precedent, order and stability."

"Like many showy personalities, he is of weak character.
    I recently suggested to a radio audience that he supposes himself to
    be Winston Churchill, while in reality being closer to Alan Partridge. "

"In my own files I have handwritten notes from our possible next prime
    minister, threatening dire consequences in print if I continued to criticise him.
    Johnson would not recognise truth, whether about his private or
    political life, if confronted by it in an identity parade."

"We can scarcely strip the emperor’s clothes from a man who has built
    a career, or at least a lurid love life, out of strutting without them.
    The weekend stories of his domestic affairs are only an aperitif for
    his future as Britain’s leader."
  2. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 06:08
    @duchess64 said
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/24/boris-johnson-prime-minister-tory-party-britain

"I was Boris Johnson’s boss: he is utterly unfit to be prime minister.
    The Tory party is about to foist a tasteless joke upon the British people.
    He cares for nothing but his own fame and gratification."
    --Max Hastings

"There is room for debate about whether he [ ...[text shortened]... weekend stories of his domestic affairs are only an aperitif for
    his future as Britain’s leader."
    This is the type of thing that will help Boris get in, this is the type of thing that did help Trump get in.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 06:21
    @wajoma said
    This is the type of thing that will help Boris get in, this is the type of thing that did help Trump get in.
    An innate aversion to the truth on the part of their supporters?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 06:44
    @wajoma said
    How many Tory voters do you think read opinion pieces about Tory politicians in The Guardian?
  5. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 06:553 edits
    @kazetnagorra said
    How many Tory voters do you think read opinion pieces about Tory politicians in The Guardian?
    Tory voters are Tory voters, these snarky hit pieces have the opposite to the desired effect of the author on the undecided and even supporters who no longer want to be associated with the bile. Obviously this type of anti-journalism personal character assault appeals to you kaka, and suzi and D (since she posted it) and a few others here (Edit: haha, how did I forget zahlooney). To be fair No1 does not indulge in it.

Why?

Because it back fires.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 07:07
    @wajoma said
    Tory voters are Tory voters, these snarky hit pieces have the opposite to the desired effect of the author on the undecided and even supporters who no longer want to be associated with the bile. Obviously this type of anti-journalism personal character assaults appeal to you kaka, and suzi and D (since she posted it) and a few others here (Edit: haha, how did I forget zahlooney). To be fair No1 does not indulge in it.

Why?

Because it back fires.
    The LibDems and Labour would be wasting their time trying to appeal to deranged individuals ranting and raving about "hit pieces" in newspapers.
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 10:00
    @wajoma said
    Tory voters are Tory voters, these snarky hit pieces have the opposite to the desired effect of the author on the undecided and even supporters who no longer want to be associated with the bile. Obviously this type of anti-journalism personal character assault appeals to you kaka, and suzi and D (since she posted it) and a few others here (Edit: haha, how did I forget zahlooney). To be fair No1 does not indulge in it.

Why?

Because it back fires.
    That might be true if it wasn’t simply a confirmation of what everyone, including Tory voters, thinks of Boris. Max Hastings is supporting one Tory against another Tory he’s not exactly a looney left wing hack, even by your looney right wing standards.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 10:461 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    That might be true if it wasn’t simply a confirmation of what everyone, including Tory voters, thinks of Boris. Max Hastings is supporting one Tory against another Tory he’s not exactly a looney left wing hack, even by your looney right wing standards.
    Have I said something 'right wing'? Looney or otherwise?

Can you re-post it here, I keep hearing it but no-one seems to be able to give a reason.

Maybe you'd like to throw in racist, sexist xenophobe, nazi too, because the way people fling these things around they've lost all meaning.

How did I earn 'looney right wing'? Please show some integrity.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 15:51
    @wajoma said

Why?

Because it back fires.
    To be honest, Boris Johnson's pretty alarming. He's unconcerned by the truth and the reports are that he got Gove out of the race out of vindictiveness rather than because he was worried that Gove might win, and he seems to be making unsustainable promises because he thinks they'll be popular. It's not obvious to me what the noisy domestic over spilled wine tells us, but it's not great advertising. There aren't huge problems with Hunt, but the grass roots membership of the major parties aren't showing huge levels of a collective grip on reality, so I suspect Johnson will get it and be Primeminister for 3 years and make a mess.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 16:22
    @deepthought said
    To be honest, Boris Johnson's pretty alarming. He's unconcerned by the truth and the reports are that he got Gove out of the race out of vindictiveness rather than because he was worried that Gove might win, and he seems to be making unsustainable promises because he thinks they'll be popular. It's not obvious to me what the noisy domestic over spilled wine tells us, bu ...[text shortened]... grip on reality, so I suspect Johnson will get it and be Primeminister for 3 years and make a mess.
    At least it's comforting to know that the Tories are wisely using the time they have to hammer out a compromise on Brexit before the October deadline.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 20:56
    @wajoma said
    Have I said something 'right wing'? Looney or otherwise?

Can you re-post it here, I keep hearing it but no-one seems to be able to give a reason.

Maybe you'd like to throw in racist, sexist xenophobe, nazi too, because the way people fling these things around they've lost all meaning.

How did I earn 'looney right wing'? Please show some integrity.
    Or you could have some yourself, so where do you think you are on the left wing - right wing continuum.
    So you dont think that Gooberment = slavery whenever it tries to soften the sharp edges of capitalism, and you obviously, given your outrage at being labelled looney right, believe that as members of society we have an obligation / duty to be there and support :- the destitute, the hungry, the homeless, and the unemployed to name but a few.

“Maybe you'd like to throw in racist, sexist xenophobe, nazi too, because the way people fling these things around they've lost all meaning.”
    No I wouldn’t because your all about the money, or to be exact any federal or state money that might be spent alleviating the condition of the poor.
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 22:03
    @deepthought said
    To be honest, Boris Johnson's pretty alarming. He's unconcerned by the truth and the reports are that he got Gove out of the race out of vindictiveness rather than because he was worried that Gove might win, and he seems to be making unsustainable promises because he thinks they'll be popular. It's not obvious to me what the noisy domestic over spilled wine tells us, bu ...[text shortened]... grip on reality, so I suspect Johnson will get it and be Primeminister for 3 years and make a mess.
    Already there's about 10 times more content in your post than the thing that D posted, which amounted to this: The author doesn't like Boris.

You'd be over qualified at the Guardian.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 22:12
    @kevcvs57 said
    Or you could have some yourself, so where do you think you are on the left wing - right wing continuum.
    So you dont think that Gooberment = slavery whenever it tries to soften the sharp edges of capitalism, and you obviously, given your outrage at being labelled looney right, believe that as members of society we have an obligation / duty to be there and support :- the des ...[text shortened]... or to be exact any federal or state money that might be spent alleviating the condition of the poor.
    News for kev: That ain't 'right wing'. And it's exactly my point, that the term is being thrown about by people who don't know what it means. It's intended as a pejorative but it's lost it's meaning (like sexist, racist, nazi) through abuse, misuse and overuse.

Being pro-freedom (economic and personal freedom) does not make one 'right wing'. If you can find a reputable definition of right wing to back your hair brain theories please present it here.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 22:44
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/25/bumbling-boris-johnson-takes-to-airwaves-to-lie-lie-and-lie-again

"Bumbling Boris Johnson takes to the airwaves to lie, lie and lie again"

"The man Tory MPs have staked their careers on is literally clueless about Brexit.
    His ignorance near total."

"Then came the final implosion. Asked what he liked to do in his spare time,
    Johnson literally had no idea what to say as even he could see that “shagging”
    wasn’t an appropriate answer."

"Kempsell understandably looked amazed. Even Johnson looked as if he had surprised himself.
    It was such a pointless, obvious lie. One there had been no need to tell. But he just
    couldn’t help himself. Lying was what he did. Lying was what he had always done.
    And it would almost certainly earn him the keys to Downing Street."

Pathological lying and general idiocy seems much admired in their leaders by right-wing people
  15. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    25 Jun '19 23:49
    I can see another Austin Powers sequel.
    We already have our buffoon villains.

Trump and mini-Trump. 😆