Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Feb '12 20:08 / 2 edits
    After hearing several posters here praise how David Brocks Media Matters is unbiased , fair in their reporting, and a illegitimate news organization to quote 'facts' from, I stay stunned and utterly amazed. Here is a brief profile of Media Matters :

Media Matters is well-known for several campaigns against broadcasters and commentators.
    It is credited with getting Don Imus fired from his morning show on CNBC for a comment he made about the Rutgers' women's basketball team. Brock played a central role in that effort, the DC reports.

It also launched the "Drop Dobbs" campaign against then-CNN host Lou Dobbs, who now has a show on the Fox Business Network, over Dobbs' commentaries against illegal immigration.

"Media Matters produced and was prepared to run an advertisement against Ford Motor Company on Spanish language stations in Houston, San Antonio and other cities targeting its top selling product, pick-up trucks, in its top truck buying markets," an internal memo obtained by the DC reveals. Ford dropped its advertising from Dobbs' program before that happened.

The group is also responsible for the pressure placed on advertisers on Glenn Beck's former show on Fox News Channel. The DC reports that Media Matters worked with Color of Change, co-founded by former White House green jobs czar Van Jones. MMFA gave Color of Change's parent company $200,000 for a "campaign to expose Glenn Beck's racist rhetoric."

At the same time, Media Matters was working closely with MSNBC president Phil Griffin as well as with bloggers, reporters at the San Francisco Chronicle, the Los Angeles Times, the Huffington Post, Politico and Washington Post reporter Greg Sargent, among others, to write Media Matters-directed stories, the DC reported.
    "If you can't get it anywhere else, Greg Sargent's always game," a source reportedly with firsthand knowledge told the DC.

And now for the latest..

The head of Media Matters for America -- now out coordinating a new super PAC to help President Obama get reelected -- is operating his nonprofit organization in close coordination with the Obama White House, a new investigative report out Monday says.

Brock's group, founded in 2004, is spending $20 million this year in a campaign to influence news coverage that sheds a positive image on the current administration as well as progressives and lawmakers in Congress.

And the campaign is going well, according to a former employee who told the DC that "virtually all the mainstream media" has used Media Matters' research.

"We were pretty much writing their prime time," the ex-employee was quoted saying of MSNBC.

Brock is also the head of American Bridge 21st Century, the political action committee that he has boasted would become a rival to Karl Rove's American Crossroads GPS.

Last week, the Obama reelection team dropped its objections to the use of super PACs, saying that the organizations are needed to compete against groups that are supporting Republican candidates.

American Bridge 21st Century and Media Matters share many of the same donors, according to Roll Call, which reported on Monday that the PAC raised $3.7 million from fewer than 50 individual donors and unions last year. Its sister nonprofit group, American Bridge 21st Century Foundation, raised an additional $2.7 million last year, and gave $223,000 of that money, which is not required to be reported, to the super PAC.

Roll Call added that Media Matters, which is classified as a nonprofit organization, raised $13.2 million in 2010, up from $6.7 million the year before, as reported in its most recent IRS filings.

While MMFA raises millions, the DC reports that the organization is in "regular contact with political operatives" in the Obama administration like senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, whom MMFA President Eric Burns and Brock met with in June 2010 at the White House.

The DC also claims Media Matters held weekly strategy calls with former White House deputy communications director Jen Psaki and other groups like the Center for American Progress. Psaki left the administration in October 2011.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/02/13/reports-media-matters-head-coordinates-with-white-house-builds-super-pac/#ixzz1mIIFbA66

How can some posters here still say say they are valid source of journalism ? And why no outrage over the Fact that the White house and 'independent news outlets' are in bed with one another ?
  2. 13 Feb '12 20:56
    Unbiased media don't exist.
  3. 13 Feb '12 21:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Unbiased media don't exist.
    bias is one thing. Being in bed with the white house is another.
  4. 13 Feb '12 21:18
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    bias is one thing. Being in bed with the white house is another.
    Yeah, that's why I don't use American media as a source of news.
  5. 14 Feb '12 03:41
    David Brock has never claimed to be unbiased. Certainly not when he was a Republican operative tearing into Anita Hill.
  6. 14 Feb '12 13:15
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    David Brock has never claimed to be unbiased. Certainly not when he was a Republican operative tearing into Anita Hill.
    A Republican operative ?
    I dont know about that but I do know that Media Matters Founder David Brock has been previously treated for mental illness, publicly admitted to using illegal drugs, including cocaine, is quite likely a paranoid delusional to the point that he believes ” right wing snipers “ are hiding in the shadows and was more concerned about the potential loss of funding from Progressive benefactors like George Soros when word leaked that his personal aide was regularly committing a felony by illegally carrying a concealed Glock handgun in public in Washington DC, one of the most virulently Anti gun area’s of the Country.

From the Daily Caller article.

“David Brock was smoking a cigarette on the roof of his Washington, D.C. office one day in the late fall of 2010 when his assistant and two bodyguards suddenly appeared and whisked him and his colleague Eric Burns down the stairs.

Brock, the head of the liberal nonprofit Media Matters for America, had told friends and co-workers that he feared he was in imminent danger from right-wing assassins and needed a security team to keep him safe.

The threat he faced while smoking on his roof? “Snipers,” a former co-worker recalled.

“He had more security than a Third World dictator,” one employee said, explaining that Brock’s bodyguards would rarely leave his side, even accompanying him to his home in an affluent Washington neighborhood each night where they “stood post” to protect him. “What movement leader has a detail?” asked someone who saw it. “
  7. 14 Feb '12 14:00
    [b]After hearing several posters here praise how David Brocks Media Matters is unbiased , fair in their reporting, and a illegitimate news organization to quote 'facts' from, I stay stunned and utterly amazed. Here is a brief profile of Media Matters :

[quote]Media Matters is well-known for several campaigns against broadcasters and commentator ...[text shortened]... e and 'independent news outlets' are in bed with one another ?[/b][/b]
    I don't think Media Matters ever sought to obscure its ideological leanings in an attempt to deceive or mislead the public with regards to where its political allegiances are; To the best of my knowledge it was always a progressive organization, by its own admission.

Having said that, I think their reportage of the facts, and their general investigative journalism should be judged on their own merits. Media Matters has consistently exposed intellectual dishonesty and distortion of facts by the likes of Fox News and numerous political commentators of the right, these accomplishments in the advocacy of truth and fairness aren't in any way tarnished by their status as a left-leaning organization. There is no good reason why their entire work should be trivialized and dismissed by virtue of any connection they may have to Obama's reelection campaign or anything of the sort. To do so would be to shoot the messenger.
  8. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    14 Feb '12 18:41
    [b]After hearing several posters here praise how David Brocks Media Matters is unbiased , fair in their reporting, and a illegitimate news organization to quote 'facts' from, I stay stunned and utterly amazed. Here is a brief profile of Media Matters :

[quote]Media Matters is well-known for several campaigns against broadcasters and commentator ...[text shortened]... e and 'independent news outlets' are in bed with one another ?[/b][/b]
    Hey Uther...After a long search, I just found out who the "Liberal Media" is. The "Liberal Media" is ANY media group that tell conservatives things they don't want to hear!

Now, if all these media groups tell you just what YOU want to hear, then things would be just dandy...right!!
  9. 14 Feb '12 19:34
    A Republican operative ?
    I dont know about that but I do know that [b]Media Matters Founder David Brock
    has been previously treated for mental illness, publicly admitted to using illegal drugs, including cocaine, is quite likely a paranoid delusional to the point that he believes ” right wing snipers “ are hiding in the shadows and was more conc ...[text shortened]... d post” to protect him. “What movement leader has a detail?” asked someone who saw it. “[/quote][/b]
    Yes, he was a Republican operative.

From Wikipedia:

David Brock (born November 2, 1962) is an American journalist and author, the founder of the liberal media watchdog group, Media Matters for America, and a Democratic political operative.[1] He was a conservative journalist during the 1990s[2] gaining notoriety for his book The Real Anita Hill and authoring the Troopergate story, which led to Paula Jones filing a lawsuit against Bill Clinton. At the start of the Presidency of George W. Bush his views shifted significantly towards the left. He founded Media Matters for America, a non-profit organization that describes itself as a "progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media."[3]
  10. 14 Feb '12 19:34
    Originally posted by bill718
    Hey Uther...After a long search, I just found out who the "Liberal Media" is. The "Liberal Media" is ANY media group that tell conservatives things they don't want to hear!

Now, if all these media groups tell you just what YOU want to hear, then things would be just dandy...right!!
    Actually, the liberal media is pretty much anything not owned by Murdoch or the Moonies.
  11. 15 Feb '12 00:26
    Yes, he was a Republican operative.

From Wikipedia:

David Brock (born November 2, 1962) is an American journalist and author, the founder of the liberal media watchdog group, Media Matters for America, and a Democratic political operative.[1] He was a conservative journalist during the 1990s[2] gaining notoriety for his book The Real Anita Hill and a ...[text shortened]... ly monitoring, analyzing and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media."[3]
    Yes, he was a Republican operative.-Kunsoo

Okay. Your source says "Democratic political operative". Nowhere does it say Republican operative.
  12. Standard member Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Feb '12 00:38
    Just throwing this in for fun. Alan Dershowitz says he mostly reads Media matters material on neo-Nazi websites.

Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz who is known for his liberal views says that the left wing media watchdog group is in danger of becoming the “Jeremiah Wright” for the 2012 presidential elections for a very surprising reason; he has allegedly seen the liberal group’s anti-Israel sentiments quoted on various neo-Nazi sites.

The Daily Caller, which interviewed Dershowitz quoted him as saying, “You know where I get their stuff? I read their stuff mostly on a neo-Nazi website that sends it to me,” he explained. “Somehow I am on their mailing list. I am not on Media Matters’s mailing list. But I tend to read Media Matters articles when they’re sent to me by a neo-Nazi website.”

Dershowitz added during the interview:

“When I started reading their stuff it sounded like the kind of stuff you see on neo-Nazi websites or on Hezbollah-supporter websites. It is so extremist. The thing that shocked me is that anybody regarded it as mainstream.”

http://biggovernment.com/jsshapiro/2012/02/14/dershowitz-neo-nazi-websites-use-media-matters-to-promote-hate/
  13. 15 Feb '12 02:58 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Just throwing this in for fun. Alan Dershowitz says he mostly reads Media matters material on neo-Nazi websites.

[quote]Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz who is known for his liberal views says that the left wing media watchdog group is in danger of becoming the “Jeremiah Wright” for the 2012 presidential elections for a very surprising reason; he ...[text shortened]... ernment.com/jsshapiro/2012/02/14/dershowitz-neo-nazi-websites-use-media-matters-to-promote-hate/
    So Dershowitz reads their stuff through the biased lens of neo-nazi misrepresentation and then somehow concludes that? Wow... sounds like he isn't as smart as he thinks he is.

Many people at Stormfront also love Ron Paul so Ron Paul must be a nazi too.

Also, Dershowitz is far from "liberal" when it comes to issues relating to Israel. On those issues he's much closer to Netanyahu and Ariel Sharon.
  14. 15 Feb '12 04:06
    Yes, he was a Republican operative.-Kunsoo

Okay. Your source says "Democratic political operative". Nowhere does it say Republican operative.
    Second sentence in the paragraph Uther.
  15. 15 Feb '12 14:06
    Second sentence in the paragraph Uther.
    I know it says, a "conservative journalist". Which is a role he played at the time. ( I remember). He has admitted since then that he willingly and knowingly published out right lies.
    Brock goes which ever way the wind blows. Now he is playing the role of the progressive. But does this mean he is no longer a liar ? He publishes the truth now ? I think not.
    In the case of mediamatters it is prudent to "kill the messenger", so to speak. Absolutely nothing can be taken as truth coming from it unless thoroughly investigated. But where do you go to cross check ? The lame stream media ? No. Because they publish and run stories that mediamatters feeds them with no questions asked as I pointed out earlier.

mediamatters is in cahoots with the White House. Which is scary enough. Why you do not see that a scary is beyond me.
    And it is run by a lunatic and admitted liar.

mediamatters has stated their sole purpose is to bring FOXNews down and to block the conservative message. In other words media censorship. The only message to be heard is the progressive one. With the full blessing and cooperation of the White House.
    They have gone so far as to hire private investigators to follow and spy on not only Fox anchors but the staff as well. To dig up any dirt or embarrassing thing they can find on them or their families. All the while being tax exempt by the way. 501(c)(3) status.