Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Aug '10 06:48
    Here is some blurb about a 2009 audio book version of Hitler's midlife autobiography and political manifesto Mein Kampf :

For the first time in 65 years, a modern, easy to understand, truly complete and uncensored edition of Mein Kampf has been released which reveals more than any past translation. This hardcover book is also the first translation available in an English language audio format.

Older translations altered passages, omitted passages, mistranslated Hitler's words, made some parts more sensational while concealing the true meaning in other parts of the book. If you have read one of these older translations of Mein Kampf, then you have not read the REAL Mein Kampf which is found only in this translation.

Mein Kampf is often portrayed as nothing more than an Anti-Semitic work, however only 6% of it even talks about the Jews. The rest contains Hitler's ideas and beliefs for a greater nation plus his plan on how to accomplish that goal. He outlines his plans for not only world conquest, but the conquest of the universe. The majority of the work involves Hitler's discussion of the German people's difficult times after the First World War, his political theories and his organization of the Nazi Party, as well as many attacks against his enemies which makes it a very interesting and moving story.

Mein Kampf offers an interesting interpretation of politics, people, and foreign policy matters. To characterize it as simply a racist work is to oversimplify its message. Germany did not follow Hitler because he was a racist, they followed him because he promised a great future, and Mein Kampf is where he promised that great future.

This edition is the only accurate and complete English translation of Mein Kampf ever made.

I read large chunks of Mein Kampf when I was a student but never cover to cover. My little volley of hypothetical questions to the Debates Forum is: what is your advice? Is it worthwhile working my way through this book as a primary source, or is the well known analysis from secondary sources and dipping in (years ago) all it deserves? What do you make of the blurb above? I once looked on in an Oxfam second hand book store in the U.K. as a very earnest man vented his fury on the sales assistant for having a copy of Mein Kampf on the shelf saying that selling the book was an 'ignorant affront' or words to that effect. Did the man have a valid point?
  2. 08 Aug '10 08:30
    I'd like to read Mein Kampf once, for the same reason I read the Bible (though I still haven't finished it due to it being so boring for an atheist). However, the sale of Mein Kampf is banned in the Netherlands, so it's a bit hard to get a hold on and it's not that important to me to make that effort. I'd prefer to read it in German though.
  3. 08 Aug '10 12:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I'd like to read Mein Kampf once, for the same reason I read the Bible (though I still haven't finished it due to it being so boring for an atheist). However, the sale of Mein Kampf is banned in the Netherlands, so it's a bit hard to get a hold on and it's not that important to me to make that effort. I'd prefer to read it in German though.
    For sheer megalomania and intolerance it is hard to distinguish between Hitler and the Hebrew Prophets as recorded in the OT, or for that matter Old Mo in the Qur'an.
  4. 08 Aug '10 13:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Here is some blurb about a 2009 audio book version of Hitler's midlife autobiography and political manifesto Mein Kampf :

[quote]For the first time in 65 years, a modern, easy to understand, truly complete and uncensored edition of Mein Kampf has been released which reveals more than any past translation. This hardcover book is also the first translation ava ...[text shortened]... e book was an 'ignorant affront' or words to that effect. Did the man have a valid point?
    Mein Kampf (like the bible) was very poorly written.

Hittler was no better an author than he was an artist.

Your question as to whether people should be allowed to sell such things written by such people as hitler really depends on each persons personal view. In my opinion such things should be allowed to be shown/sold so that people can learn from past wrongs so that they are not repeated. l do though think that there should be some degree of tact associated with how this is carried out in actuality.
  5. 08 Aug '10 13:44 / 1 edit
    . However, the sale of Mein Kampf is banned in the Netherlands, so it's a bit hard to get a hold on and it's not that important to me to make that effort. I'd prefer to read it in German though.[/b]
    Try going to the middle east. It is and has been a best seller there for a very long time.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Aug '10 13:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Try going to the middle east. It is and has been a best seller there for a very long time.
    According to whom?
  7. 08 Aug '10 13:55
    Is that so? On what spot is Mein Kampf in the Saudi Arabian bestseller list?
  8. 08 Aug '10 14:06
    l have been to the middle east on a number of occasions and have visited bookstores in many countries without ever seeing it.
  9. 08 Aug '10 14:25
    Originally posted by nook7
    l have been to the middle east on a number of occasions and have visited bookstores in many countries without ever seeing it.
    I have found web sites saying it is a bast seller in Turkey, Bangladesh and Palestine. As for places like Saudia Arabia, most everything is banned there isn't it? Where did you go?

Of course, you can always go to Iran where they deny the Holcaust never happened.
  10. 08 Aug '10 14:28 / 1 edit
    I have found web sites saying it is a bast seller in Turkey, Bangladesh and Palestine. As for places like Saudia Arabia, most everything is banned there isn't it? Where did you go?

Of course, you can always go to Iran where they deny the Holcaust never happened.
    You've found websites? Well, that settles it then.

Just for amusement, can you show us these websites?

Oh, and Bangladesh is nowhere near the Middle East.
  11. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    08 Aug '10 14:30 / 1 edit
    You've found websites? Well, that settles it then.

Just for amusement, can you show us these websites?

Oh, and Bangladesh is nowhere near the Middle East.
    This is what i found.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/mar/29/turkey.books

100,000 copies old in a country of 70million. I make that 0.0017% of the population.
  12. 08 Aug '10 14:31 / 1 edit

l have been at various times to Egypt, Jordan, Israel, Syria, Turkey and the UAE - also to muslim countries like Morocco, Malaysia and Indonesia.

l am sure you have found websites that say many things, that does not make them true.

Edit - l am not referring to the holocaust of which the evidence is most sadely irrefutable.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Aug '10 14:31 / 1 edit
    Mmm. whodey seems to be in the mood for just making stuff up that suits what he wants to say - on this and another thread right now about the N.Y. mosque.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    08 Aug '10 14:36
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    This is what i found.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/mar/29/turkey.books

100,000 copies old in a country of 70million. I make that 0.0017% of the population.
    Nothing about it being "a best seller there for a very long time" in that article.
  15. 08 Aug '10 14:49
    Oh, and Bangladesh is nowhere near the Middle East.[/b]
    Well you got me there. Bangladesh is no where near the middle east, although they are predominately MUSLIM there.